Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:19:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Sigur in Space! - Update: Revenge of the Blood Angels!  (Read 87096 times)

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
Re: Sigur in Space! - Infinity, Harlequins, Orks, all things Sci-Fi.
« Reply #285 on: August 14, 2020, 12:27:03 PM »
Oh, right, the cat. Yeah, here it is:

She's a beauty!  ;D

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #286 on: August 15, 2020, 04:04:32 PM »
@Ray Rivers: And she draws reactions like nothing else. :D Weird, that cat-internet-thing.

Another Update:

full size image: https://i.imgur.com/EukXTAT.jpg

Still WIP to an extent, but getting there. Hope you like them and happy weekend!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 07:28:36 PM by Battle Brush Sigur »

Online syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #287 on: August 15, 2020, 05:49:51 PM »
Beautiful blends and color schemes on these.  The sculpts are a bit over the top (the hair!) but the painting is excellent.
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline aliensurfer

• Mastermind
« Reply #288 on: August 15, 2020, 11:13:30 PM »
Superb painting  :o

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #289 on: August 16, 2020, 01:23:30 PM »
@syrinx0: Thanks very much. :) Yeah, just a bit over the top. :D But that's GW, I suppose. And their more recent move from selling units to selling a larger number of very big single figures.

@aliensurfer: Thank you. Much appreciated.

Well, I put the Eldar aside for now, went on to paint something different, and lateron I'll finish them.

Well, It's been a few hours since I started composing this post, because while typing I remembered some detail to add on the Eldar and I was occupied with that for the past portion of time.

Now I have to give that some time to dry, so I'm moving back to painting the Sisters of Battle.

This is riveting stuff, this. No wonder people tune in to look at people painting stuff on Twitch.

Offline The Voivod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #290 on: August 17, 2020, 09:12:44 AM »
Clearly I'm out of the GW loop. I click on this thread and seeing those models I thought it was surprised to see what I immediately registered as fantasy models.
I've been aware of these models for years, but they hardly seem sci-fi. 40k was always bordering on fantasy somewhat...
Not that I particular dislike the models. Eldar are my 1st 40k love and as such my first wargaming army. There's just been such a change the last years.

Lovely painted as usual. The energy swirls look very daunting and you've done an amazing job.
Very peculiar colours for the cat, but it looks awesome. Good choice. Makes him far more alien looking than sculpt, which seems weirdly grounded compared to the rest of the models.
'Mercy? I am far to brave to grant you mercy.'

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #291 on: August 18, 2020, 12:06:16 AM »
Thanks for the comment!

I have to admit that I'm out of the GW loop as well. When I got these guys I had to ask "so are these dark eldar or eldar?". :D
If that helps - with the regular units they're sticking to the classic designs. Especially in terms of Eldar. Because they've ALWAYS looked great and their design pretty much can not be topped.

The cat of course is a Gryx (Those have been around since the RT rulebook IIRC. One of the bits GW feel obliged to throw in for us old farts. ), but I couldn't remember the name.

The swirly bits are a typical GW thing now I think. I'm not a fan of "spell effects", smoke, or stuff like that being sculpted onto a figure (lest of all digitally sculpted), but oh well. People dig it. People wanted the "40k timeline" to be "moved on" and GW did it. People dig it.

I like a whole bunch of GW's current figures. The Sisters of Battle range - which was already great, especially with the 2004 additions - got no less impressive (shame the new figures are so huge and don't fit with my collection). New Banshees are very pretty. New Nurgle figures are fun. Daemons in general.

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #292 on: August 18, 2020, 01:51:07 AM »
I like a whole bunch of GW's current figures. The Sisters of Battle range - which was already great, especially with the 2004 additions - got no less impressive (shame the new figures are so huge and don't fit with my collection).

Believe it or not in response to that (new sisters) I decided to go back to painting smaller miniatures. I'm really getting tired of all the scale creep. (Says the cranky old man.) I was thinking 15mm but ended up with 10.

That is neither here nor there... your miniatures are fabulous! Superb painting!  :-*

Offline The Voivod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #293 on: August 18, 2020, 09:39:57 AM »
I have to admit that I'm out of the GW loop as well. When I got these guys I had to ask "so are these dark eldar or eldar?".
They're both, aren't they? I thought they belonged to a sub faction that contained both regular and dark eldar.

I bought the 8th edition book and all indices when they came out. I really can't keep up with the gw editions anymore and it was a good point to have rules for my whole collection and leave it at that. Wonder if it's a bit of a a sunk cost fallacy? I really don't like the game much anymore. It's never really balanced and I've played much better games since.  I'm somewhat tempted to update my jetbikes to the new ones, but can't really brig myself to buy any more gw models, save for some generic fantasy ones for other games.

But I do still love the fluff and the models. I still think at some point I'll just find some other rules to play them with. I think the indices I have combined with some Bolt action might make for an interesting game. I do miss the spectacle of my huge guard army on the table.

Funny thing, I've been part of this forum for about 10 years I think. I thought the models I had at that time where clearly superior to many of the old sculpts that where shown of here. Clearly that was nostalgia. And yet I see those models, technical marvels as they are, and I just look lovingly at my mono-pose warpspiders..... :D
Am I now officially one of the cranky old me too?

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #294 on: August 18, 2020, 10:48:47 AM »
@Ray Rivers: THanks very much. :) Quite the step in terms of shrinking things down though. :D I'm a big fan of 10mm (as you may know ;) ), I also keep 28mm figures around, depending on what I want to play. Lately I'm getting this slight little idea of maybe going 28mm for battle things again though. I blame the General de Brigade guys who regularly do huge 28mm battles in the Vienna area.

@The Voivod: Yeah, something like that. Ganging up to kill Slaanesh or something, I was told. It's got a big of a "guilliman returns" vibe to it - throwing "hope" into the 40k universe. We tried playing Chain of Command with 40k figures ( https://www.tabletopstories.net/language/en/2019/08/chainsword-of-command-the-40k-ening/ ) once. Because we greatly enjoy these rules, and like our old 40k collections. It didn't quite mesh though. I assume Bolt Action is much better suited for depicting 40k. Many people use Stargrunt I was told. I'm very tempted to give 5150:Star Army a go with 40k figures as well. Tomorrow's War I played with 6mm Epic 40k figures. Oh, and of course there's Flying Lead by Ganesha Games. I played that with 40k figures as well. That works really well.

I too bought 8th edition because I was very, very curious about that one. And they did an amazing job in condensing 40k down to 10-12 pages without losing anything about the game really. I was a HUGE fan of the Index books, and actually as as optimistic as to think that they'd get rid of the codex system (and run Primaris Marines alongside regular ones). Oh well. I even played 8th edition once. It was ...alright. It's 40k.

As I said above, it's not just nostalgia. Eldar, from 1992 on at the latest, just rock in terms of design and background. :D

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #295 on: August 18, 2020, 04:25:09 PM »
As I said above, it's not just nostalgia. Eldar, from 1992 on at the latest, just rock in terms of design and background. :D

Yep... my favorite faction.

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #296 on: August 18, 2020, 06:44:28 PM »
@Ray Rivers: Are those yours? I really like that effect on the sides of the bases!

Now they're done.

full size image: https://www.tabletopwelt.de/uploads/monthly_2020_08/748277112_alldoneschrift.jpg.645583bfc4d27917dc64c37cf3dbfcee.jpg

full size image: https://www.tabletopwelt.de/uploads/monthly_2020_08/triumbg1schrift.jpg.bbd43047e89956c0ae785f25353e1c97.jpg

Hope ye like them! :)

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #297 on: August 18, 2020, 06:53:20 PM »
I'm out of my genre here, but I cannot restrain myself from commenting.
These last works of yours were already awesome, but photo-staged are jaw dropping!!!
You are doing an impeccable job!
Especially the flying figure is a must-see!
And this water-air effect must be very flimsy, I reckon it comes in parts and the assembly must have been difficult, but you did it perfectly! Cheers!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #298 on: August 18, 2020, 07:04:02 PM »
Fantastic job!

Some really awesome painting.

Yep, those minis are mine. You put them to shame.

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #299 on: August 20, 2020, 12:10:46 PM »
@DintheDin: All the more - thanks for the comment, even though it's out of your focus of interests. :) Yeah, putting bits around figures and adding a background really helps. :D The swirly effect (for some reason GW digital drawers seem to model anything this way. Water, fire, wind, smoke, etc.) consists of surprisingly many parts. Which go together in oft-surprising ways. But in the end it's a pretty sturdy model actually. There's alternative hands for the guy, holding a sort of symbol and a huge sword in his left, but the gentleman I paint these for is very sensible in terms of making the figures transportable, so he went with the smaller daggers. In fact the cat lady originally comes with a pretty huge headgear thing, which he also left away because it would just snap anyway during transport.

@Ray Rivers: Thanks very much, Sir! No worries. Just as it's impossible for anybody to put Baby in a corner it's impossible to put nicely painted 2nd edition aspect warriors to shame. :) In fact I think the Howling Griffons were released in RT already, weren't they?  Not sure.

Heyhey. Painting that Eldar Yncarne (avatar dude with the swirly effect bits aorund him) was kinda tricky to paint. That went reasonably well, so I'm upping the difficulty by painting figures which are mounted on friggin' springs:D :D

Here's a first WIP of St.Celestine &friends:

Hope you like them so far. :)