Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:07:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Broad-tipped African spears?  (Read 2430 times)

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
Broad-tipped African spears?
« on: March 21, 2009, 12:02:46 PM »
I'd like to get hold of some spears that have broad leaf-shaped tips. Foundry and Empress sell some that might do in a pinch, but I'm wondering if there's anything better and cheaper available anywhere.

The broader the better, really. They're for my Copplestone Somalis which I'm painting for swords & sorcery, so I want their weapons to give them a bit of extra flair.
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Broad-tipped African spears?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 11:02:27 PM »
Rhoderic;

Check this link out...just came out to me today in an e-mail:

http://shop.warlordgames.co.uk/metal-pikes-80mm-1495-p.asp

I know that they are pikes, but you get 40 for 5 British Pounds and they can be cut down to the right size.
Victory is guaranteed to the last man standing, but always remember those whom you stepped on to get there!!

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 05:41:52 AM »
Thanks, but I'm sorry to say I had in mind something with much bigger, broader tips. Something like these Foundry Masai spears but with longer shafts.

I know these ones are also not particularly leaf-shaped, but that's the general style of speartip I'm looking for anyway.

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 01:03:48 PM »
Foundry spears + pin drill + brass wire = sorted!
Warriors dreams, summer grasses, all that remains

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 01:38:30 PM »
Foundry spears + pin drill + brass wire = sorted!

Something I'd rather avoid, to be honest. I've done that before with Old Glory speartips, and they break off too easily.

For future reference, I've now found some suitable ones from Castaway Arts, as pictured below. I e-mailed them and they're willing to sell the spears separately. A tad expensive because of the shipping from Australia, but I think I'll have to live with it.

I also noticed Cannon Fodder Miniatures (another Aussie company) sell some broad-bladed spears, but I'm still waiting for them to e-mail me a picture.

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 02:13:09 PM »
I keep forgetting that what I can get away with in 15mm can't readily be translated to 25mm because the metal composition is tougher and more brittle.
Another thing you could do is make a press mould out of one you are happy with and then squeeze out new spear heads using green stuff. I've cloned some unusual and OOP shields that way before now...