Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:36:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Crom's Anvil - 15mm desert fantasy  (Read 37890 times)

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
Re: Crom's Anvil - 15mm desert fantasy
« Reply #120 on: July 06, 2018, 06:09:20 PM »
Thanks I will take a look at those. I've decided to go ahead with a 15mm version of Heroquest and have already printed off and laminated all the cards and counters as well as ordered the board & screen from eBay.

I am going to hunt down some 15mm minis (I will be placing an order to Crom's Anvil this weekend :D) and then I will just need to scratch build some furniture and doors.

Plus...I have ideas... :D
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline angel barracks

• Scientist
    • Crom's Anvil
« Reply #121 on: July 19, 2018, 10:13:19 AM »
Praise Be To Apis!

Offline angel barracks

• Scientist
    • Crom's Anvil
« Reply #122 on: July 31, 2018, 10:42:20 AM »
Burning Sands - Sand & Sorcery rules now available:

https://thewargameswebsite.com/burning-sands-fantasy-rules/

Offline Stroezie

• Scientist
    • Planet Ares VI
« Reply #123 on: July 31, 2018, 12:48:22 PM »
Cool!
Bought my copy, will be printing the printer friendly version tonight to take with me for reading during the familly holiday.

Cheers,
Stroezie.

Offline angel barracks

• Scientist
    • Crom's Anvil
« Reply #124 on: July 31, 2018, 01:41:23 PM »
Cool!
Bought my copy, will be printing the printer friendly version tonight to take with me for reading during the familly holiday.

Cheers,
Stroezie.

Many thanks good sir!

Offline The Bibliophile

• Scientist
    • Scrum in Miniature
« Reply #125 on: July 31, 2018, 06:43:07 PM »
I've been following your work on this with some interest for a few months now. Perhaps I'm mistaken, but based on your promotion text and what I was able to discern from Wargame Vault, you're asking $10 for what appears to be  a 32-page PDF of homebrew combat mechanics more than a fully developed game. Am I mischaracterizing the situation here? Obviously I'm speaking without having plunked down my money for this yet, but this is what it looks like from what I can discern from this vantage point. There are a lot of skirmish games with light RPG elements out there in the market...
Scrum in Miniature (my gaming blog): http://miniaturescrum.blogspot.com
Scrum Con (my miniatures+RPG convention in Wash, DC): https://sites.google.com/view/scrum-con/home
Above the Fray Miniatures (my minis company): https://sites.google.com/view/abovethefrayminiatures/home

Offline angel barracks

• Scientist
    • Crom's Anvil
« Reply #126 on: July 31, 2018, 06:57:25 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for the question.

It is fully playable as it is.
There is no need to have to come up with anything extra in order to play.

I think the point I was trying to get across is that the rules are easy enough to modify if you want to.
Some games have so many charts and tables and intricate mechanics that in order to add a new feature it could be a lot of hard work.
The Burning Sands mechanics are versatile and flexible enough that you can (I feel) add new aspects without too much effort.
And on the flip side, ignore some.

I suspect most gamers that are not playing in an especially competitive environment will add house rules, extra bits and tweak the rules they have bought.
I know I certainly make house rules for games I have bought.
Some games however have proved harder to add extra features by the rigidness of the mechanics.
Burning Sands is not like that, it is easy to tweak and guidelines on doing so are included.

Abilities for example would be things like:

Fast: +2 to all movement related Prowess tasks.
Strong Willed: +2 to all Wits tasks against Ensorcellment.
Reckless Fighter: +3 to all Hand to Hand combat rolls when attacking, but may not defend against attacks.
Eagle Eyed: +2 to Wits tasks based around perception.

These are taken from the rules, but along with the ones listed are guidelines on creating more without 'breaking' the system or getting too unbalanced.

That was kind of what I was trying to get across.

That make sense, or am I rambling?

Offline Oldben1

• Mastermind
    • My Terrain Projects
« Reply #127 on: August 01, 2018, 02:00:46 AM »
Having playtested the rules several times I have to say I really enjoyed the game.  Very cinematic, and very Conan.

The figures are awesome too!

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #128 on: August 01, 2018, 06:10:45 AM »
certainly makes a lot of sense to me.

Hi,

Thanks for the question.

It is fully playable as it is.
There is no need to have to come up with anything extra in order to play.

I think the point I was trying to get across is that the rules are easy enough to modify if you want to.
Some games have so many charts and tables and intricate mechanics that in order to add a new feature it could be a lot of hard work.
The Burning Sands mechanics are versatile and flexible enough that you can (I feel) add new aspects without too much effort.
And on the flip side, ignore some.

I suspect most gamers that are not playing in an especially competitive environment will add house rules, extra bits and tweak the rules they have bought.
I know I certainly make house rules for games I have bought.
Some games however have proved harder to add extra features by the rigidness of the mechanics.
Burning Sands is not like that, it is easy to tweak and guidelines on doing so are included.

Abilities for example would be things like:

Fast: +2 to all movement related Prowess tasks.
Strong Willed: +2 to all Wits tasks against Ensorcellment.
Reckless Fighter: +3 to all Hand to Hand combat rolls when attacking, but may not defend against attacks.
Eagle Eyed: +2 to Wits tasks based around perception.

These are taken from the rules, but along with the ones listed are guidelines on creating more without 'breaking' the system or getting too unbalanced.

That was kind of what I was trying to get across.

That make sense, or am I rambling?

Offline angel barracks

• Scientist
    • Crom's Anvil
« Reply #129 on: August 01, 2018, 08:24:05 AM »
certainly makes a lot of sense to me.

wooohoooo I am getting better at wording!

:D

Offline The Bibliophile

• Scientist
    • Scrum in Miniature
« Reply #130 on: August 01, 2018, 03:13:29 PM »
This is meant as friendly feedback, but your competitors seem to offer a lot more at this price point. "Pulp Alley" is a full-fledged game in a professionally produced 48-page PDF at the same price point as your release ($10). "Advanced Song of Blades and Heroes," an 88-page professionally produced PDF, is available at the same price. Even a home-brew like "Crom" comes in cheaper at around $6 and 64 pages. And though not professionally typeset or edited, a game like "Five Leagues from the Borderland" has an immense amount of game crammed into 76 pages.

Anyway...just some feedback from the marketplace. I would be more inclined to take a chance on your offering at about half the price.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 03:53:01 PM by The Bibliophile »

Offline angel barracks

• Scientist
    • Crom's Anvil
« Reply #131 on: August 01, 2018, 03:52:14 PM »
This is meant as friendly feedback, but your competitors seem to offer a lot more at this price point. "Pulp Alley" is a full-fledged game in a professionally produced 48-page PDF at the same price point as your release ($10). "Advanced Song of Blades and Heroes," an 88-page professionally produced PDF, is available at the same price. Even a home-brew like "Crom" comes in cheaper at around $6 and 64 pages. And though not professionally typeset or edited, a game like "Five Leagues from the Borderland" has an immense amount of game crammed into 76 pages.

Anyway...just some feedback from the marketplace. I would be more inclined to take a chance on your offering at about half the price.

I will put you down as a no then?

lol

Offline The Bibliophile

• Scientist
    • Scrum in Miniature
« Reply #132 on: August 01, 2018, 03:56:56 PM »
I will put you down as a no then?

lol

More like a "Maybe"...if it goes on sale!  lol

Offline angel barracks

• Scientist
    • Crom's Anvil
« Reply #133 on: August 01, 2018, 04:05:52 PM »
More like a "Maybe"...if it goes on sale!  lol

To be fair when pricing it I thought that as long as I get £5.00 in my pocket from each sale, it will have been worth the hundreds of hours of work and may encourage me to go and write more later on.
Alas that £5.00 in my pocket for each sale would mean charging more than I already am...

Offline angel barracks

• Scientist
    • Crom's Anvil
« Reply #134 on: August 07, 2018, 10:59:37 AM »
I have added a new page to my website that features comic book style game reports of Burning Sands.

Read more here>>>

https://thewargameswebsite.com/croms-anvil-comic-book/