Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:52:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690838
  • Total Topics: 118355
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Teeny tiny islands.Welcome to my big blue hole.  (Read 3993 times)

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
Re: Teeny tiny islands.now with added teeniness!!
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2017, 10:37:21 PM »
Nice work altogether  :-* I really enjoy this thread.
LB
Cutie subtleties of your teeny tiny work!  :-*
Keep them coming!
Cheers chaps! :)

Just finished this one up! The lightbox is being a bit flickery so photographs are a little washed out and the camera on my phone struggles to focus in low light...

A little island lagoon with a nice rock pool and some shade, The sort of place you might maroon a former captain.

And one with the mighty penny of scale! Here's where I am with my painted islands so far. I have 3 in various states of painting on the desk at the moment which will take me to 7 completed islands.

More soon! :)

never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
Re: Teeny tiny islands.marooned at the swimming hole.
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2017, 11:15:25 AM »
More!  :-* Soon!  :)
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2017, 07:08:46 PM »
More!  :-* Soon!  :)

Alright! :)

Still WIP. The sand needs painting and drybrushing and i need to add some trees at the edge of the sand/rock.

And naturally I put my finger into the water effect so i need to fix that ...

Offline Warren Abox

• Scientist
    • War In A Box - New Location!
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2017, 08:05:59 PM »
 That one little dimension makes all the difference in the world, don't it?  They really turn the game from a boardgame to a miniature wargame.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2017, 08:28:39 PM »
That one little dimension makes all the difference in the world, don't it?  They really turn the game from a boardgame to a miniature wargame.

It really does.I can't abide flat scenery, for me set dressing is 90% of the game experience. :)

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
Re: Teeny tiny islands.welcome to my big blue hole.
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2017, 10:50:23 PM »
6 down and 1 to go!

I'm unsure about adding trees to the island with the big lake.I don't think all of them need trees, but it might look odd to have one without. I also think a couple on the beach would help hide the paint line between the beach and the rock.
The island with the dock I like but despite being under the radiator for 2 days the milliput is still worryingly soft, which makes me wonder if i buggered it up at some point? It's taken paint okay but can still be dented and pushed around, So after the game on Tuesday i may just pull it apart and start over.
(this is the issue with milliput white.The two halves are identical so mixing becomes sort of  guessing game.)

I'm going to go back and redo the beaches on the last three islands just to get them nice and even, hide any dark spots underneath them and generally correct the things that are bugging me, But for a game or two this week they'll do.
I'm really happy with the water on the large island as it has come out nice and flat and looks pretty deep.

ZOOM AND ENHANCE!

And the mighty PENNY OF SCALE!"!!

(I gave up on the sea texture background, It had got tatty and I'm in the market for a good sea mat/cloth now.)

« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 11:19:17 PM by nic-e »

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
Re: Teeny tiny islands.Welcome to my big blue hole.
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2017, 07:47:04 PM »
These are super cool.  You've really achieved a nice rock texture, seems like it would be easy to get one that looks good in isolation but out of scale next to the ships.  Well done!  8)