Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 03, 2024, 08:23:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1696047
  • Total Topics: 118736
  • Online Today: 409
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: AWI 40mm gaming anyone ? Updated  (Read 29249 times)

Offline Lysandros

• Scientist
Re: AWI 40mm gaming anyone ? Updated
« Reply #60 on: April 27, 2020, 09:53:48 AM »
I’m not keen on the Sash and Saber AWI highlanders. Being pedantic, I find the heads don’t quite sit right and need extra green stuff to finish off the collars. When I need to do 70 plus of them, this makes it a bit of a chore.

I’m wondering whether the Trident British in cutdown coats but with highland bonnet heads might suffice. I’d pick out the better poses.

Any thoughts?
Yes that is possible to use the cut down coats and add the bonnet heads , they even have the cartridge box to the front.
I haven't done it because l'm not a fan of the marching poses.
I was at one time thinking of adding the trident heads to the FR matching poses . What stopped me was that I don't find the heads particularly attractive, granted they are full of character but my god they can be ugly sometimes.
I will post Trident Highlanders in kilts later and the 33rd regiment in cut down coats from trident to show you the base body.
I am not a fan of the 33rd and have relegated them  for bits and pieces but will give you an idea.
I think Ian has hit on the head and that is the way forward.

Offline Lysandros

• Scientist
« Reply #61 on: April 27, 2020, 09:59:34 AM »
Alan,
If you and Rob both want Highlanders , would it not be easier and economic to have M. Make you some ?
Morning lan,
Is M who did your beautiful British artillery figures  ?
One of the things that scares me is getting me the correct style, fine heads gracefulness , animation.
A marching figure, drummer, bagpiper, standard bearer officer combined, 4 figs with 4 separate head swaps plugins.
Cheers
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 10:23:31 AM by Lysandros »

Offline Lysandros

• Scientist
« Reply #62 on: April 27, 2020, 10:26:04 AM »
Blackwatch in kilts.
(Trident figures)

Online DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #63 on: April 27, 2020, 10:27:20 AM »
Spectacular!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline ian220756

• Librarian
« Reply #64 on: April 27, 2020, 11:25:14 AM »
Morning lan,
One of the things that scares me is getting me the correct style, fine heads gracefulness , animation.
A marching figure, drummer, bagpiper, standard bearer officer combined, 4 figs with 4 separate head swaps plugins.
Cheers
Hi Rob
No it’s a different guy who designs using traditional methods - he’s making some 40mm at the minute - his first and not AWI - might be worth looking at those when they’re done and decide from there
Ian

Offline MiniPigs

• Librarian
« Reply #65 on: April 27, 2020, 12:09:43 PM »
Morning lan,
Cheers

If you people know him, perhaps you could ask the  owner of Front Rank to provide the "dollies" for a sculptor to work with to ensure that the house style is faithfully reproduced for both bodies and heads?

Offline MiniPigs

• Librarian
« Reply #66 on: April 27, 2020, 12:13:42 PM »
Blackwatch in kilts.
(Trident figures)
Wow, did you paint these?

Offline Alan Mercer

• Scientist
    • Alan's Wargaming Miniatures
« Reply #67 on: April 27, 2020, 12:31:37 PM »
Having some made is tempting. It’s quite a costly business though. At some point I want to try out the digital design to 3D print to resin master to metal production route just to see how it works out at the end, and how much detail gets lost over the process. Can’t put much time into it at the moment, too much else going on, but it’s definitely something i’ll be doing. Your results, Ian, look great.

Offline dallascowboy43

• Assistant
« Reply #68 on: April 27, 2020, 01:08:54 PM »
I went down the bonnet heads on the FR marching pose for my 42nd
Clive

Offline Lysandros

• Scientist
« Reply #69 on: April 27, 2020, 01:20:34 PM »
I went down the bonnet heads on the FR marching pose for my 42nd
Clive
Did you add the cartridge boxes ?
You could have  used American in short jackets .
Cheers , thanks

Offline Lysandros

• Scientist
« Reply #70 on: April 27, 2020, 01:26:00 PM »
Having some made is tempting. It’s quite a costly business though. At some point I want to try out the digital design to 3D print to resin master to metal production route just to see how it works out at the end, and how much detail gets lost over the process. Can’t put much time into it at the moment, too much else going on, but it’s definitely something i’ll be doing. Your results, Ian, look great.
This is Cornwallis 33rd. They could be maybe used for Highlanders in trews , they have a box to the front. Using a head swaps.
Being honest I've have relegated them , just not completely happy with the Trident march poses. 

Offline Lysandros

• Scientist
« Reply #71 on: April 27, 2020, 01:32:16 PM »
Wow, did you paint these?
The Highlanders were painted by the brilliant Tony Runkee .
He did a great job but l don't love the sculpts so they get rarely used. The 33rd is the same, great painting by Tony but the marching pose doesn't excite me and have been put away.
It's mad but l may do them again using FR.
Trident matching can be great miniatures but I prefer a more softer style.
( Guards , Grenadiers , Penn line, Rhode Island , myself)

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #72 on: April 27, 2020, 01:58:29 PM »
Glad to see progress though I am bemused that you have two beautifully painted units that you don't like to use because of the sculpts.  I find that once a game is underway, the players rarely pay attention to the specifics of the figures - other than their identity and capabilities within the game.  Seems rather a luxury.  But, heck, they are yours.

Not all that surprised that 40 mm hasn't gained traction though somewhat disappointed.  As gamers age,  such figures will work better for those with diminished eyesight.  Alas, may of the sculptors are going to be in the same boat as they age.  Maybe I need to start buying the figures now just in case! 

Where have you sourced your civilian figures?  (Civilians and animals decorating a game is really important to me - too often gaming battlefields are rather anti-septic environments compared to the real world - painting time and budgets impact, no doubt.)

Again, a beautiful collection and love the terrain.

Offline MiniPigs

• Librarian
« Reply #73 on: April 27, 2020, 03:36:07 PM »
The Highlanders were painted by the brilliant Tony Runkee .
He did a great job but l don't love the sculpts so they get rarely used. The 33rd is the same, great painting by Tony but the marching pose doesn't excite me and have been put away.
It's mad but l may do them again using FR.
Trident matching can be great miniatures but I prefer a more softer style.
( Guards , Grenadiers , Penn line, Rhode Island , myself)

I see what you mean about a softer style. Front Rank 40mm are more appealing to the eye in terms of overall proportion and subtlety of sculpting. Which is odd because the FR 28mm are sort of chunky and dumpy. Still, the Trident figures are highly useable.

In any case, I dont know why this conversation doesnt take place.

*Ring, ring*

FR: Hello?

40mm Fans: Hi, FR Owner?

RR: Yes, may I help you?

40mm Fans: Are you going to add to your 40mm AWI range?

FR: No, it really doesnt sell

40mm Fans: What if we pay for your sculpting and mold making and buy the miniatures?

FR: No, sorry, they dont sell and I have other things to sculpt.

40mm Fans: About that, we've noticed that you havent released anything in a long while, thus we would be delighted to compensate you for your time so that we get some figures that match the rest of your line.

FR: Yes, it all sounds very interesting but I am not interested.

Sounds to me like if this is something like the response, there is something else at work besides that the range doesnt sell.

Offline Lysandros

• Scientist
« Reply #74 on: April 28, 2020, 07:21:48 AM »
I see what you mean about a softer style. Front Rank 40mm are more appealing to the eye in terms of overall proportion and subtlety of sculpting. Which is odd because the FR 28mm are sort of chunky and dumpy. Still, the Trident figures are highly useable.

In any case, I dont know why this conversation doesnt take place.

*Ring, ring*

FR: Hello?

40mm Fans: Hi, FR Owner?

RR: Yes, may I help you?

40mm Fans: Are you going to add to your 40mm AWI range?

FR: No, it really doesnt sell

40mm Fans: What if we pay for your sculpting and mold making and buy the miniatures?

FR: No, sorry, they dont sell and I have other things to sculpt.

40mm Fans: About that, we've noticed that you havent released anything in a long while, thus we would be delighted to compensate you for your time so that we get some figures that match the rest of your line.

FR: Yes, it all sounds very interesting but I am not interested.

Sounds to me like if this is something like the response, there is something else at work besides that the range doesnt sell.
Yes it is surprising that in 40mm FR is far more subtle , elegant, while retaining their crisp detail compared to their 28mm which some regard clunky ( maybe this is their earlier range's)
Please don't get me wrong , Trident are great figs , full of character , stylish and maybe are to the taste of people that prefer a more character driven style.
It's horses for courses but as l don't do skirmish games then FR does it for me in close formations. Alec sculpts "fine"excellent faces which tend to set a fig off.
Cheers