Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:44:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686503
  • Total Topics: 118106
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: AWI 40mm gaming anyone ? Updated  (Read 28008 times)

Offline Lysandros

• Scientist
Re: AWI 40mm gaming anyone ? Updated
« Reply #180 on: May 14, 2020, 05:49:10 AM »
Thanks for the listing, Lysandros.  Impressive, you can run a lot of games.  Really liked seeing the civilians and carts (your Fluff - I like that term.)  No Spanish for Florida and points west?

I've barely begun working on my 15 mm AWI but it is an obscenely sizable collection, all told I believe I am over 5,000 figures counting horses, civilians dismounts, and dead (lots of dead, at least one per fighting unit of infantry, cavalry, or artillery). 

Lots of it is primed and ready for painting but only two cavalry units actually partly painted.  I actually have 20 historically correct cavalry units (correct in that the unit existed but not necessarily in regimental size like mine are). 

All my cavalry are 12 figures, most of my infantry 18 figures, some at 24 figures.  Artillery is one gun and four crewmen (might be Molly Pitcher pitching in somewhere).  Rather a surfeit of leaders, not all being generals, of course.  A bunch of civilians, too.  And farm animals galore.  I am profoundly influenced by a scene from a very old disney (I think) movie: Justin Morgan Had a Horse. 

Oh, and I do have one four regiment brigade of Spanish to paint (already primed) along with Bernardo Galvez to lead them!  I mix them in as part of my Franco-Spanish division (another 13 regiments). 

Your work inspires me to get busy.  Just way too much to get busy on like my colonials and Old West.  Insanity but happy insanity.  lol

Keep on sharing.
That sounds a huge collection . Great that we both like fluff ,l have pigs , cows , milk maids , tavern drinkers , village people etc.
We are all insane and really collecting is never going to be rational.
What is your favourite theatreand why ?

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #181 on: May 14, 2020, 12:06:28 PM »
They look great! Very neatly painted and the color of the horses is very convincing!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline MiniPigs

• Librarian
« Reply #182 on: May 24, 2020, 03:41:44 AM »
Out of curiosity, what are the iconic poses for AWi Scots in trews or gaiter trousers?

Offline Lysandros

• Scientist
« Reply #183 on: May 25, 2020, 09:13:47 PM »
I think with Scott's charging is their iconic pose but l prefer marching.
Out of curiosity, what are the iconic poses for AWi Scots in trews or gaiter trousers?

Offline Lysandros

• Scientist
« Reply #184 on: May 25, 2020, 09:15:11 PM »
Freemans farm this weekend

A overwhelming victory for the colonies as the Germans failed to turn up and got lost in the woods.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 09:21:54 PM by Lysandros »

Offline Alan Mercer

• Scientist
    • Alan's Wargaming Miniatures
« Reply #185 on: May 26, 2020, 06:24:38 AM »
That’s a great looking set up. Very inspiring.

Offline schoey

• Scientist
« Reply #186 on: May 26, 2020, 08:15:55 AM »
Your table is very inspiring, like the ox cart pulling the gun.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #187 on: May 26, 2020, 01:54:14 PM »
"What is your favourite theatre and why ?"  Just saw your question.

I don't know that I have a favorite theatre but after contemplating I'd guess the Brandywine / Germantown and associated also rans and what ifs would stand out. 

However, I've built my collection to cover all theaters from Canada to Saratoga, from Lexington to Long Island, from Brandywine to Yorktown, from Camden to Eutaw Springs, pretty much the whole war (within North America anyway - including the Floridas). 

The AWI itself is my favorite period and if push came to shove and I could only keep one period it would be this one. 

I do worry less about having the appropriate clothed unit as opposed to just having the appropriate unit (or, very rarely in my collection) a close enough stand in unit.  I'm pretty sure I can do either Long Island or Brandywine unit for unit.  Certainly close enough. 

It is an addictive period, and addictive hobby, filled with happy insanity. 

I've always found AWI has a ready audience of people willing to play.  And most of the players know almost all of the battles quite well.  Thus I intend to run fictional campaigns to avoid everyone having excessive hindsight.  May on occasion do a historical battle.

Offline MiniPigs

• Librarian
« Reply #188 on: May 26, 2020, 07:20:10 PM »
You never painted a unit in all white hunting shirts?

Offline Lysandros

• Scientist
« Reply #189 on: May 26, 2020, 07:57:37 PM »
The lightest lv'e done is Buffy off white  for a unit.
There is an occasional off white hunting shirt in the odd units.

Offline MiniPigs

• Librarian
« Reply #190 on: May 26, 2020, 08:08:25 PM »
I should ask a question I asked on another forum. For miniatures, do you all prefer your British (or also Continental) light infantry units to all have the same headdress within a unit or different headdresses from stand to stand?

Similarly for British/Hessian grenadiers, do you just do the  grenadiers of a unit as one facing color, different from stand to stand or mixed facings even on the same stand?

Offline Wellington Bonaparte

• Scientist
  • Strike Sure
« Reply #191 on: May 26, 2020, 09:57:58 PM »
This has been an amazing read through for me this evening. I've just been conned into starting a 28mm AWI British army so my wargame buddy has another chance to beat me up on the battlefield! The scale of your collection and the beauty of you table and terrain and incredible! Not only has this been a joy to look through for the great photos but the posts have been superb as well, great debate and some excellent insight into the way different people go about achieving what they want from the same pool of models. Thabk you so much Lysandros for allowing us to see this amazing collection.
Stand Fast - Strike Sure -  Carry On - Bydand

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #192 on: May 27, 2020, 01:42:40 AM »
MiniPigs, my plan is to paint my grenadiers with their parent unit (where appropriate) but run them as grenadier battalions.  Of course, at least one Hessian battalion was a full-time grenadier unit so it will be painted all the same.  With my basing scheme, I'm not sure how the mix will work - three abreast per stand but six (or eight) stands per battalion (I think all the grenadiers will stay at six stands) but most likely mix them per stand to better know which stands should mix together.  The challenging decision is how to do the command stand - and, yes, ahistorical though it may be, my grenadiers are likely to have standards to ensure players know what side the unit belongs to.  Not everyone knows the period well and will need that extra clue.

For headdress, I generally try to keep all the same but will happily mix in one or two or so figures with bare or bandaged heads - but mostly the same.  15 mm makes it a lesser issue I guess.

Offline Lysandros

• Scientist
« Reply #193 on: May 27, 2020, 05:07:10 AM »
Another charging British line .
Another game shot.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 06:03:46 AM by Lysandros »

Offline Baron von Wreckedoften

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #194 on: May 27, 2020, 09:58:30 AM »
I should ask a question I asked on another forum. For miniatures, do you all prefer your British (or also Continental) light infantry units to all have the same headdress within a unit or different headdresses from stand to stand?

Depends on year/campaign.  Up to the Philadelphia campaign, the British appear to have worn their leather helmets; other than a preponderance of the "Keppel" style (the "standard" form - false front, no peak, three horizontal chains around the crown - named after Maj Gen Keppel who chaired the committee on light company uniform), the type could vary from regiment to regiment - so from stand to stand in your example.  From 1777 onwards, the British lights wore floppy hats turned up on the left side (apart from three regiments that arrived in the Carolinas in 1781 who are recorded as wearing "European uniforms" - and who suffered accordingly!), so that would have been their standard headgear across both Light Battalions.

The Continental Corps of Light Infantry started with Maxwell's battalion of picked men in 1777, then progressed to converged light companies from the 1778/1779 regimental structures onwards, supplemented by more "picked men" companies to expand the corps in 1780/1781.  Initially, the men wore whatever headgear the battalion they were assigned from had, up until 1780, when La Fayette arrived from France with the leather peaked "butterfly" caps which are generally used by manufacturers to identify their CCLI figures.

Similarly for British/Hessian grenadiers, do you just do the  grenadiers of a unit as one facing color, different from stand to stand or mixed facings even on the same stand?

Depends on your figure:man ratio - if a stand represents more than one company, then you sort of have to vary the facings; if it's just one company, then fine, all the same colour.  The job is easier with Hessian Grenadier Battalions as they only had four large (by British standards) companies; British Grenadier Battalions could have anything up to 12 companies (the Light Battalions sometimes had 14), although 10 was more usual.
No plan survives first contact with the dice.