Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:57:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690923
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 670
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Zorro update  (Read 19179 times)

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Zorro update
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2009, 06:16:27 PM »
I'm going to be awkward and say do the hand seperate. That way you can do a lance and carbine with hands sculpted on properly :)
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2009, 06:28:25 PM »
I agree with Dewbakuk, those open handed figures seldome look "right". Much better with separate weapons with hands cast on them

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2009, 10:02:53 AM »
I think that open handed is the way to go... You can then either place a carbine or a lance in it?

I think I didnt explain my self correctly. the carbine is hung from a sling over the shoulder, so the option was to do either the trooper open handed for lance with carbine slung, or the trooper holding a carbine on his hip, etc, and not being armed with lance. I just thought it would be nice to have the Mexican cavalry not all armed with lances.

"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2009, 11:40:36 AM »
Ah, I see. In that case, for Dragoons, I'd go for the carbines in hand. Even though I personally dislike seeing figs in "at ease" poses. Never understood why they are in those poses during a battle! However, I know I'm in the minority there.

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2009, 04:56:51 PM »
If anybody just wants  dismouted castings and the Zorro pack send me a PM.

PM sent.

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2009, 05:10:55 PM »
Again, Dewbakuk has a point. The "carbine on hip" is pretty useless for a skirmish game. Much better to let them fire the carbine or having it pointing at a presumable enemy, alternatively arm them with a pistol or sabre.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2009, 05:39:19 PM »
Again, Dewbakuk has a point. The "carbine on hip" is pretty useless for a skirmish game. Much better to let them fire the carbine or having it pointing at a presumable enemy, alternatively arm them with a pistol or sabre.

I guess its one of those you can't please all the people all of the time scenarios. :?
I am one of those that likes my cavalry figures just riding horses in relaxed poses and not waving guns or swords above heads. Its the same with dismounted figures, I am not a fan of firing poses. I know that may sound stupid, but I much prefer to see my figures advancing. The same can be said for kneeling poses or prone figures, I am not a fan of those either. Hey Ho!

Offline Geudens

• Mastermind
  • 39th generation heir of Charles Martel (no joke!)
    • http://www.rudi-geudens.be/
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2009, 06:02:42 PM »

I guess its one of those you can't please all the people all of the time scenarios. :?
I am one of those that likes my cavalry figures just riding horses in relaxed poses and not waving guns or swords above heads. Its the same with dismounted figures, I am not a fan of firing poses. I know that may sound stupid, but I much prefer to see my figures advancing. The same can be said for kneeling poses or prone figures, I am not a fan of those either. Hey Ho!

I second that!

Rudi
do visit my websites & photobucket:
http://www.rudi-geudens.be/
http://www.tsoa.be/
http://s298.photobucket.com/albums/mm262/geudens_photos/

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2009, 06:10:02 PM »

I agree.

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2009, 09:10:03 AM »
As I said, I know I'm in the minority (don't understand why though). I like firing poses, it's what they should be doing! I'm also a fan of kneeling poses, especially for front rank British Colonials, especially if they're also firing :D

Prone figures have their place. For example: snipers or deployed heavy machine guns. However it's a restrictive position so I wouldn't want it on normal infantry.

Another example where Malamute will disagree with me, is I like charging cavalry figs. Nothing beats the image of a lancer at full charge with the lance levelled!

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2009, 09:26:56 AM »
Not particularly for this range but I absolutely love kneeling figures. Probably something to do with the old Airfix boxes of childhood. Australian Infantry with Dewey anyone?

Ok, so most cavalry dismounted to fire rifles but it would be nice to see the occasional firing pose on a standing horse - not many I can think of for any period.

Without studying the poses its difficult to say but first thoughts are a lance or carbine option would be favourite.
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline Col.Stone

• Mastermind
    • The compound
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2009, 09:44:45 AM »
Great news, been looking forward to this :)
just have to ask, how did these match up with artizan..

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2009, 09:56:13 AM »
Great news, been looking forward to this :)
just have to ask, how did these match up with artizan..

Perfectly. :D

Here's an example with an Artizan Alamo defender.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2009, 09:58:42 AM »
As I said, I know I'm in the minority (don't understand why though). I like firing poses, it's what they should be doing! I'm also a fan of kneeling poses, especially for front rank British Colonials, especially if they're also firing :D

Prone figures have their place. For example: snipers or deployed heavy machine guns. However it's a restrictive position so I wouldn't want it on normal infantry.

Another example where Malamute will disagree with me, is I like charging cavalry figs. Nothing beats the image of a lancer at full charge with the lance levelled!

I don't totally disagree with you :) Lancer with lance levelled do look great and prone figures do have their uses.

In my minds eye and in the games we play where cavalry units are normall patrolling up and down the table, I always like to see my cavalry columns in a natural riding pose, lances upright with penants gently flapping in the breeze :D

Offline Col.Stone

• Mastermind
    • The compound
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2009, 10:09:39 AM »
Great, i think i've asked that before hehe :)