Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:32:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690916
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 657
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: First foray into the American Revolution Updated 16 09 22  (Read 28949 times)

Offline TacticalPainter

• Mad Scientist
    • The Tactical Painter
Re: First foray into the American Revolution Updated 11 09 22
« Reply #165 on: September 11, 2022, 10:50:30 PM »
They look really great, what technique did you use on the white clothes?

Thanks. As for white I used a technique I tried for the first time when painting Mahdists for a Sudan project and that’s Contrast paints. It won’t do the trick without some additional work but I’m finding it is a good solution to conquering my dread of painting white clothing. I use a base of Citadel Dead White and then the contrast is Apothecary White. I then go back and paint highlights and do a bit of other touching up.

Offline Freddy

• Mastermind
    • My blog
« Reply #166 on: September 12, 2022, 08:18:34 PM »
Thanks. As for white I used a technique I tried for the first time when painting Mahdists for a Sudan project and that’s Contrast paints. It won’t do the trick without some additional work but I’m finding it is a good solution to conquering my dread of painting white clothing. I use a base of Citadel Dead White and then the contrast is Apothecary White. I then go back and paint highlights and do a bit of other touching up.

I see. Thank you! I ran into the problem of white with my Austrians, I also used Apothecary White, my previous method of Nuld Oil gave better contrast, but made it much darker overall.

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
« Reply #167 on: September 15, 2022, 09:37:25 PM »
A great looking unit.  lovely

Offline TacticalPainter

• Mad Scientist
    • The Tactical Painter
« Reply #168 on: September 16, 2022, 06:30:12 AM »
A second game of Sharp Practice in a week and the second taking a new player through the game. This time a more challenging player who has played once or twice before but is a sceptic when it comes to any of the Lardy rules. We played the Defence in Depth scenario set in the early stages of the war with the British sent out to clear a force of armed rebels who were blocking a crossroads. My opponent chose to play the British - a force of regulars supported by light infantry skirmishers and was up against a rebel force of militia, skirmishers and a few state line.

Sharp Practice excels when you play to the strengths of your units. The militia won't be up to mounting a charge against  regulars but will do a more than respectable job firing volleys from behind the protection of a rail fence. The rules do a very good job of rewarding historical tactics (and punishing poor ones!). My opponent made the common mistake many new players make of relying too much on volley fire and not enough on movement and use of the bayonet. The regulars bogged down in a firefight with the militia who benefited from better cover. While the British eventually inflicted more casualties with their ability to fire more frequent and effective volleys, by remaining stationary they also received more fire. After all, a musket ball is a musket ball no matter who fires it and even regulars can receive only so much fire before they lose the inclination to advance. Better use of the more nimble and aggressive light infantry skirmishers could have turned the flank of the militia but they also opted for the firefight. It's an easy trap to fall into especially as a new player. I know because I was guilty of exactly the same thing.

The Militia holding the fence line:

Their skirmishers alongside peppering the ranks of the regulars with an incessant hail of musket fire:

The British light infantry skirmishers firing back from the woods, but failing to exploit their rapid movement:

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
Re: First foray into the American Revolution Updated 16 09 22
« Reply #169 on: September 16, 2022, 09:22:41 AM »
All very nice, but I really like the Militia at the fence, especially
the drummer figure. Well done.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #170 on: September 16, 2022, 02:00:57 PM »
Looks and sounds like a great game. I like how Sharp Practice rewards playing to the strengths of your units.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline MaleGriffin

• Mastermind
  • Don't bother running.... You'll just die tired....
« Reply #171 on: September 16, 2022, 05:31:37 PM »
Absolutely beautiful figures and terrain!
Hoc quoque transibit
Sanguinem sistit semper