Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 01, 2024, 08:41:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 'Old Citadel Nostalgia' - an ongoing project.  (Read 107957 times)

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
Re: 'Old Citadel Nostalgia' - an ongoing project.
« Reply #735 on: August 22, 2023, 09:15:37 AM »
Extraordinarily good - this is how I always imagined they'd look in real life!
An infrequent Blog http://small-wars.com

Online Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #736 on: August 22, 2023, 06:39:47 PM »
Amazing work as all ways  :o .A million miles away from how my school mates and I painted murdered this era of Citadel miniatures back in the day with Humbrol enamels and then early GW paints.

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
« Reply #737 on: August 23, 2023, 12:41:58 PM »
Great job Cubs, and I know your painting is on another level but still it is amazing just how good the old Citadel Scults could be (I know there were some duffers). Some of the faces a still great 40+ years later!

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #738 on: August 23, 2023, 12:45:59 PM »
A couple of the old C-series Giants here, the second one was unreleased (which is a crying shame). I do enjoy the larger canvas on which to muck about.

It is not othen I see a Citadel mini for the first time, but this is one of those times. Thanks a lot, is it yours?

I'm gussing you added the snot?

Great model that should have seen the light of day, perhaps instead of all of those Big Hat Dwarves.... it would have made my world a better place.

Offline tjgreenway

• Bookworm
« Reply #739 on: August 24, 2023, 03:00:21 AM »
I've been following this thread for a while and continuously find myself impressed and inspired by the amazing work you've done on these characterful old minis, so I just wanted to say thank you for sharing  :D

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #740 on: August 24, 2023, 11:01:41 AM »
Aw, thanks you guys. The thieves actually really frustrated me because they have these little knives (all good), but the blades are chunky lumps of metal and a lot of them have wide hilts like swords. I'd have much preferred to see them with short swords, decent sized daggers or poky little knives without hilts.

It is not othen I see a Citadel mini for the first time, but this is one of those times. Thanks a lot, is it yours?

I'm gussing you added the snot?

No, it's another one for Richard 'Orclord' Hale (of 'Stuff of Legends' fame) and the snot (and drool) were sculpted on. He is a great giant with the distinct flavour of the big plastic models they brought out in the 80's (I forget the name of the range). I had a few and to my shame lost them somewhere - I know my brother has one he still uses as a giant.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
« Reply #741 on: August 24, 2023, 12:56:17 PM »

No, it's another one for Richard 'Orclord' Hale (of 'Stuff of Legends' fame) and the snot (and drool) were sculpted on. He is a great giant with the distinct flavour of the big plastic models they brought out in the 80's (I forget the name of the range). I had a few and to my shame lost them somewhere - I know my brother has one he still uses as a giant.

Official Fighting Fantasy range I think (prior to Drastic Plastic in a more sensible scale)

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #742 on: August 24, 2023, 02:36:32 PM »
Official Fighting Fantasy range I think (prior to Drastic Plastic in a more sensible scale)

That's the badgers!

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #743 on: August 24, 2023, 03:31:09 PM »
Ah yes, I had this one:

Orange skin, that falked off after a few years...

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #744 on: October 30, 2023, 02:18:51 PM »
Scraping in under the wire as usual, I present the Orctober offerings. Since I was busy with other things, I didn't get round to them before halfway through the month, so it's only fitting that they be Half-Orcs. For reasons unknown, the old Citadel Half-Orcs all have a similar style of shield, with a device in relief on the surface, often skeletal or runic apparently, so I've decided that on my shelf, the shields will all be painted a similar shade.

The Regiment of Renown fellas are troopers from Mudat's Half-Orc Mercenaries, possibly the most unreliable troops in the Old World, with a reputation for swapping sides several times during battles to maximise loot. The horrors of the old mold lines that travel straight down the face and shield, as well as the random lumps of miscast metal on these fellas is well documented, as is the wild inaccuracy of the fluff which states the troopers carry maces and hammers, whereas the models have enormous curved swords akin to a Dacian falx. I have enough of these guys so heresy though it may be, I might just end up converting some to carry something like the correct weaponry.

The single C-series chap (or chappess, hard to tell really) has had a replaced blade for his ... I dunno what you'd call it, glaive? falx again? ... anyway, the old one had snapped off (I've yet to see an original figure with it intact) so I replaced it with some metal from crappy tweezers, ground down to the right size and shape. It'll do pig, it'll do.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2023, 02:21:55 PM by Cubs »

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #745 on: October 30, 2023, 02:56:55 PM »
The process of cleaning up the figures sounds like a chore, but the end result is amazing! I always enjoy seeing your figures, the colour palette and painting techniques you use are very effective and bring out the character in each model.

Online Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #746 on: October 30, 2023, 03:42:00 PM »
Damn those are nice! I have bunch of RoR  guys in my pile that I really must get around to painting.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #747 on: October 30, 2023, 04:15:43 PM »
Damn those are nice! I have bunch of RoR  guys in my pile that I really must get around to painting.

Which ones?

Online Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #748 on: October 30, 2023, 04:36:35 PM »
Those half-orcs are wonderful - brilliant painting!

I like how the RoR half-orcs were more hunched and orc-like than the earlier and later C-series ones - as if Mudat's troops were particularly nasty specimens!

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #749 on: October 30, 2023, 06:00:16 PM »
Those half-orcs are wonderful - brilliant painting!

I like how the RoR half-orcs were more hunched and orc-like than the earlier and later C-series ones - as if Mudat's troops were particularly nasty specimens!

Ah thanks, I knew you'd enjoy them! I've now been bitten by a weird compulsion to sculpt a Hobgoblin leader from the old 1st Edition rules - I forget his name, but he's got Chaos mutations with a mace tail and stuff. Probably never do it mind.

I just read the bumf and apparently it all kicked off because the Half-Orcs were all evicted from the town of Nuln in a purge of the Goblinoid races. Mudat and many others were so indignant they chose to form a mercenary regiment and returned ... it did not go well for Nuln.