Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:01:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690991
  • Total Topics: 118362
  • Online Today: 742
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: How do you deal with "must-have-everything-I-see-itus"  (Read 8408 times)

Offline Weird WWII

• Mastermind
  • Keep it WEIRD!!!
    • Weird WWII
Re: How do you deal with "must-have-everything-I-see-itus"
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2009, 01:54:39 PM »
Get married, have a couple kids and get a 30 year mortgage, that should slow ya down.

Brian
Keep it WEIRD!

Offline Unforgiven

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2009, 08:29:09 PM »
I just tell myself I wont have any money for the stuff I actually need and that if I get all those goodies they'Ll only be painted in maybe..70 years.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2009, 09:07:41 PM »
Get married, have a couple kids and get a 30 year mortgage, that should slow ya down.

Brian

I have 2 out of 3 - probably going to get that mortgage during the next year....  :?
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Ramshackle_Curtis

• Mastermind
    • http://www.ramshacklegames.co.uk/
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2009, 11:14:46 PM »
See I have been trying to figure out where I stand on this. I dont have a mdel mountian. I have about 3 armies finished plus a load of stuff for toher games, like gangs and warbands and such. However, the unpainted bits are just old rare collectors items and 4 sprues of plastic goblins. But then I have a business where I make models, so really I have a whole seperate space away from home that I rent to store my hobby stuff in, AS WELL as hundreds of models at home! I done have a lead mountain, I have a mountain of moulds, misscasts and models....

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2009, 01:06:37 PM »
Historically, I haven't had a lot of cash to throw around, due to still being a student, so that's helped keep me in check. The feeling of self-disgust after spending too much at once always makes me slow down again (and I think I define "too much" as a smaller amount of money than many other hobbyists). This might change soon as I'm slowly beginning to have more money to move around with, but I digress.

Lately I've also found that I can channel almost all my buying impulses into one project, if I choose a project that's big enough. For me that's Swords-and-Sorcery. Nowadays I can look at awesome stuff like the Quar or the recent BCW releases and simply think "Nice, but not now". Too busy with my Mongol warriors, my Atlantean knights, my indigenous African empires etc which I can all fit into the same project.
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2009, 01:42:43 PM »
Historically, I haven't had a lot of cash to throw around, due to still being a student, so that's helped keep me in check. The feeling of self-disgust after spending too much at once always makes me slow down again (and I think I define "too much" as a smaller amount of money than many other hobbyists). This might change soon as I'm slowly beginning to have more money to move around with, but I digress.

Lately I've also found that I can channel almost all my buying impulses into one project, if I choose a project that's big enough. For me that's Swords-and-Sorcery. Nowadays I can look at awesome stuff like the Quar or the recent BCW releases and simply think "Nice, but not now". Too busy with my Mongol warriors, my Atlantean knights, my indigenous African empires etc which I can all fit into the same project.
'
I'm slowly starting down that path, too - but I often find myself ordering some extra packs 'on the side' to keep average postage down, anyway  lol

Offline Mad Carew Snr

• Scientist
  • One in the Eye for the little yellow god
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2009, 01:56:21 PM »
people with no self-control and with butterfly/compulsive minds

You just described me Bezzo!  lol
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
The time is gone
The song is over
Thought I'd something more to say

Offline bandit86

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2009, 02:06:38 PM »
Just give into the dark side you know you want too ;)
Barbarella: What's that screaming? A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming...
http://bandit86.blogspot.com/

Offline 6mmfan

• Mad Scientist
    • https://6mm.wargaming.info
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2009, 07:19:39 AM »
Try counting how long it would take to paint your current lead pile. I worked out mine and it was 3 years and then I realised I'd forgotten some stuff.  Smiley

It slowed down my purchases and now I focus more on finishing an army completely before moving onto another army.

Cheers

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2009, 08:21:15 AM »
Try counting how long it would take to paint your current lead pile. I worked out mine and it was 3 years and then I realised I'd forgotten some stuff.  Smiley

It slowed down my purchases and now I focus more on finishing an army completely before moving onto another army.

Cheers
At my current rate of production, 40 years. And I'm serious. And I'd be 82.

Offline Cheeky Monkey

• Librarian
  • no matter where you go,there you are
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2009, 01:44:40 AM »
I really don't have to have everything I see although with a game shop a few doors down from my business it does come down to - do I want to pay the electric bill or get all those new minis they just got in - every once in a while. Mostly I try to keep focused on my current project(s) so that I don't have too much clutter in my already overcrowded work space. And as someone else said - storage becomes critical especially since I've already filled up a 26'x18' room with my "hobby".
If pro is the opposite of con, what is the opposite of progress ?
http://miniaturerealities.weebly.com

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2009, 04:23:41 PM »
.... I've already filled up a 26'x18' room with my "hobby".

Wow! That's an impressive amount of space to fill up  :o 8)

Offline Kestrel

• Librarian
    • CameraDave.co.uk
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2009, 10:44:57 PM »
My secret is to stop looking, if I don't see it I cannot be tempted lol

It's working as well and my backlog of unpainted models is beginning to decrease until I see something on this forum I simply have to have and go to an appropriate website to buy it and see yet more shiny things to buy.
Mein Doodlesack ist mangelhaft

Offline pnweerar

• Scientist
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2009, 03:03:05 PM »
Whenever you want to buy something new, force yourself to wait 24 hours. If you can even make yourself do that, that's an achievement. Then learn to keep doing that.

If you find after a month you have just as much a hankering after the gems are you had when you first heard about them, go ahead and buy them.

By following this, the only serious mini purchases I've made in a while are Uncharted Seas. I ended up buying all four fleets and I'm expanding them as they release new goodies -- and I have no regrets. This is big change from the previous, when I would buy something, be thrilled, be bored, and finally feel a bit stupid.

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2009, 04:36:32 PM »
Tried to limit myself to just a few periods. SCW, FIW, IWI and a sprinkling of WWI, WWII and some SF.

Somehow however I seem to have found a way to 'link' Neanderthals to spaceships with most all other periods thrown in as well.
Back to the drawing board.
If I can find it under my lead mountain range.

Panic, Chaos and Disorder. My job here is done