Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:44:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: How do you deal with "must-have-everything-I-see-itus"  (Read 8407 times)

Offline jet

• Mad Scientist
    • Geektactica
How do you deal with "must-have-everything-I-see-itus"
« on: May 15, 2009, 07:07:01 PM »
Not sure where to start this thread, as the topic doesn't deal with any specific game or era.  In short, do you buy everything you see that tickles your fancy, simply throwing caution to the wind?  Or are you like me, a person who must always find ways to talk yourself out of buying new models, new factions, new games? 

I've been reasonably productive over the last year, and have been producing what I can in terms of painted models and terrain for Warmachine, Old West, Impetus 6mm, and BFG.  I'm currently trying to ignore everything else that catches my attention while I finish off my Cygnar collection, a second ancients army, and some Old West civilians.

The problem: it's getting very difficult to muster the self-control required to not go out and buy something new - a box of historical plastics, or some 28mm historicals,... I'll stop listing because it could go on forever.

How do you guys excercise self-control? (if you do at all  8) )

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
Re: How do you deal with "must-have-everything-I-see-itus"
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 07:17:06 PM »
Self control? Define? I don't believe I am familiar with that word at all.
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline myincubliss

• Mad Scientist
    • dead lead project
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 08:02:56 PM »
I just spent £30 in the works on dr who toys to repaint for gaming (despite the fact that at the start of the year I had no interest in Dr Who whatsoever). Also, lack of attention span doesn't help my buying things...

Offline Darren

• Scientist
  • Sky Marshall
    • Darren's Hobby Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 08:37:42 PM »
The recession has helped me in some way.  Having the choice between buying more soldiers and ensuring that bills are paid and groceries are bought really does help me appreciate the piles of lead I've already accumulated.

It doesn't help with the desire to purchase new stuff though.  I've stopped browsing eBay for bargains and have taken myself off mailing lists.  No point torturing myself...

On the plus side, I've painted more models this year so far than I have done before.  I guess being forced to focus has helped me avoid the butterfly syndrome I've had in the past.

Offline Ramshackle_Curtis

• Mastermind
    • http://www.ramshacklegames.co.uk/
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 08:41:21 PM »
Im too much of a scrooge to actually spend money on models. I just make my own stuff, so the more I have the more happy I am. I have started a few things then not finished them, but this is quite rare, I finish more than I leave lying around.

Yesh, havent actually bought any models in years....

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2009, 12:21:56 AM »

How do you guys excercise self-control? (if you do at all  8) )

Have you not under stood the concept of The Lead Pile which everyone is talking about? :)

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2009, 12:38:50 AM »
Tell myself I've not the money and then check my wallet to verify myself, but if there is money in there it's a good chance I'll buy something with it.
Everything is better with lizardmen.

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2009, 04:55:50 AM »
Tools currently get priority over new plastic or lead. That has slowed buying down and increased bench time. That Grex airbrush is looking very tempting at the moment... :-* Why I would need a second airbrush I don't know. o_o
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2009, 07:27:16 AM »
Storage.
I ran out of storage space, and have nowhere to place any more models. And by the time I get the remaining stuff painted I'll need a house 3x the size of the one we own now... :(
So this year all I bought was a box of 15mm plastic Samurai. Before this storage business I used to veer towards just about anything.
Oh, and welcome to Paintoholics Anonymous.

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
    • http://ironworkersminiatures.blogspot.com/
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2009, 07:47:15 AM »
<------ looks at lead mountain.  Aparantly I have no self control...............

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2009, 08:29:35 AM »
I have almost stopped buying... minis. Right now I'm buying rare earth magnets to place in the bases, so that I may store my minis in cake bins and the likes. We're going to try finding a house to buy this summer, as my wife and I are now working in the same city (beforehand, we were going in opposite directions), so I have to get all my primed and semi-painted stuff stored instead of sitting around in makeshift shelves made of book-cassettes (sturdy open boxes made of thick cardboard (like mounting board) used for sets of books).

So, basically, I'm trying to confine myself to projects for which I already purchased the minis. Should last me a couple of years....  lol
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2009, 09:43:04 AM »
I don't buy everything I see that interests me. Much.

But, if I really want something, I'll normally ask around on here or elsewhere first. Usually somebody has had the same idea for a project as I did, and never got past the buying stage so there are bargains to be had.

These days, if I can't get it cheaper second hand, I regard it as a sign from Cheebus that I was not meant to meddle in such things.    :)

Offline answer_is_42

• Mastermind
  • Mostly Harmless.
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2009, 10:22:11 AM »
It's really rather simple. I run out of money.
Lead mountains are for building, not for climbing.
I told you so. You damned fools.
 - H.G. Wells

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2009, 10:53:43 AM »
"Self control" can be loosely defined as only having the one lead mountain.

Offline jet

• Mad Scientist
    • Geektactica
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2009, 01:32:00 PM »
Well,

It's good to see that others struggle (and of course, others just give in  lol )

I'm currently concentrating on some Cygnar models and 6mm Persians.  I'm hoping these two projects will keep me from other temptations (like the Warlord plastic ECW minis, or Crusader's ancient range)