Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 06:08:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689767
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Koyote in Mordheim (And some WHQ)  (Read 74667 times)

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
Re: Koyote in Mordheim (And some WHQ)
« Reply #210 on: March 11, 2023, 07:32:32 AM »
Nurgle visited his blessing upon me, so no Mordheim last week. I did, however, spend some time assembling 3 more 4Ground buildings. It’s such a shame that 4Ground folded.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2023, 07:34:13 AM by Koyote »

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #211 on: March 12, 2023, 07:01:08 AM »
I made more progress on my Random Happenings project. Since the ‘Dog Pack’ and ‘Itsy-Bitsy Spider’ are just NPC creatures, I used contrast/speed paints to knock them out quickly.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #212 on: March 12, 2023, 10:51:54 AM »
Those look terrific - especially the spider; great positioning on that base, too!

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #213 on: March 12, 2023, 11:58:02 AM »
Love how you sorted the head of the spider that normally sits a goblin. I just dumped green stuff on it. You’ve sculpted armour plating.

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #214 on: March 13, 2023, 05:41:30 AM »
In Don Quixote, El Sabio Frestón ("The Sage Freston) is an imaginary enchanter who Don Quixote believes to be his arch nemesis.  Since I am including names and themes of many of the characters from Don Quixote into my Estalian (counts as Tilean) warband, I want Freston to be represented as well, as a hired sword Warlock.

In the Warhammer lore, Estalia, like its real world counterpart Spain, was occupied by men from the southern deserts. I can imagine that while the occupation of Estalia lasted much less longer than the occupation of Spain, I like to think that the men of Araby left some of their culture and customs behind.  Part of that culture may be the magical traditions of Araby -Sultan Jaffar was a sorcerer after all. With this in mind, I'm going to use a repurposed Alchemist from the Hel Dorado Saracen figure line to serve as El Sabio Freston.

EDIT: I changed my mind. I want to reserve El Sabio Frestón for later use, and perhaps use him as my warband's elusive nemesis. Perhaps the pursuit of Freston is what motivated the warband to travel to north into the Empire?

In Don Quixote there is a Moorish character (of sorts) named Cide (pronounced thee-day) Hamete Benengeli, who Cervantes purports to be the true author of the "biographical" tale of Don Quixote.  As such, Cide the Arabyan shall be my warband's Warlock.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 06:32:45 PM by Koyote »

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #215 on: March 15, 2023, 09:08:41 PM »
Last night I played my first game with my new Estalian (counts-as Tilean) warband, The Men of La Mancha.

I played a 3-way game against two more experienced warbands, The Dawnguard (Marienburgers) and an as of yet unnamed Possessed warband.  We played the attached scenario, A Pox On All Of Your Houses, which is my version of the Frenzied Mob scenario from Town Cryer #27.  The scenario isn't designed for multi-player play, but since our 4th player wasn't available to play, we made it work.

To my surprise, not only did my newbie Estalians win the scenario, but only a single model (henchman) went out of action, and that model fully recovered. 

Near the end of the game, the valiant (foolish) Don Alonso Quijano ended up in the center of a large, multi-model melee involving Estalians, Marienburgers, and pox-ridden peasants. At one point he was fighting against a Marienburger captain, champion, and a swordsman, but thanks to a flurry of bad die rolls and one lucky armor save, the aging Estalian gentleman escaped unscathed. As a reward for his heroism (i.e., biting off more than he could chew and not getting killed), the Fates rewarded him with a suit of Ithilmar armor which he found during the post-game exploration phase.

The real heroes of the battle for the Estalians were the crossbowmen and Warlock (Silver Arrows of Arha FTW), who together, cut down almost half dozen Chaos cultists.  My Young Blood, Aldonza Del Toboso also proved her mettle by taking out-of-action, two Marienburgers, despite her pathetic WS 2.  My other Young Blood Sancho, didn't prove himself in combat, but he did manage to loot one of the buildings.  My Halfling Scout proved to be quite adept and murdering pox-ridden peasants with his bow.

The first warband to rout was the Possessed. They looted 2 of the 4 buildings before high-tailing it. Sadly, during post game, The Possessed permanently lost 4 henchmen, including an expensive Beastman.

The Marienburgers voluntarily routed a few turns later, after four or five warriors went out-of-action. Fortunately for the Marienburgers, all of their warriors who went out-of-action fully recovered.  They managed to loot 1 building before retreating to their encampment.

This shot was taken at the end of Turn1.  The roof of one building was removed to deploy some of the pox-ridden peasants.

Here is shot of some of my Estalians.

The only fully painted warband was the Possessed.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2023, 10:37:04 PM by Koyote »

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #216 on: March 16, 2023, 12:36:05 AM »
Looks like lady luck favored the Estalians. Nice to see Mordheim in action still.
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline blacksoilbill

• Mastermind
« Reply #217 on: March 16, 2023, 12:23:41 PM »
That alchemist is a superb figure. I really like the look of the possessed warband too: nice use of the Frostgrave figures.

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #218 on: March 16, 2023, 04:26:57 PM »
Looky what finally showed up in the mail.

Recognize him? No? Here’s a hint…

Now I need to find an excuse to get him painted and in the table. Aside from Skaven, I can think of no warband includes throwing knives in its starting equipment. You’d think pirates would, but they don’t.

I mention pirates because now that I have these two fellas, I have an urge to create a pirate warband. Arghhh!

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #219 on: March 20, 2023, 12:37:56 AM »
Argh! 🏴‍☠️

Offline Citizen Sade

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #220 on: March 20, 2023, 10:09:11 AM »
Nice! Where's the Mordheim knife juggler from? Any chance of some photos of the WIP figures in the background?

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #221 on: March 20, 2023, 04:34:43 PM »
Nice! Where's the Mordheim knife juggler from? Any chance of some photos of the WIP figures in the background?
The 3D sculptor of the knife juggler miniature is calls a 'Plague Mercenary'.  You can find it for sale on Etsy. I two copies from two different Etsy sellers. AlieCatCraftsnStuff took over a month and a half to deliver, despite being located here in the US were I live. TownsandTerrain shipped much quicker.

I added a skull and a rat to the model's base to make it look more similar to the original artwork.

As requested, below are pics of the WIP models lurking in the background of the photo of my WIP Pirate warband.

The models in the foreground are a warhound being ridden by an armored chicken, and an assortment of townsfolk and weirdos to be used in Frenzied Mob scenarios and as plague victims for the Random Happenings table.  Some are actual OOP Mordheim Frenzied Mob miniatures.  The models in the background are an assortment of hire swords, heroes, and henchmen for Mordheim, as well as a few models from my Don Quixote themed warband.

Below are more of the WIP models.  In the foreground are some partially painted Flagellants for the Random Happenings table, a dwarf I plan to use in Warhammer Quest, a Dwarf I plan to use as a Dwarf Pathfinder hired sword, and an OOP Warrior Priest that I may use in Warhammer Quest or as a Mordheim hired sword.  In the background are the remaining members of my WIP Don Quixote themed warband.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 09:41:49 PM by Koyote »

Offline Citizen Sade

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #222 on: March 21, 2023, 08:51:14 AM »
Thanks, that's quite an assortment you've got there and it's always interesting to see people's WIPs.

The armoured chicken is very Mordheim. Is it the Dunkeldorf one?

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #223 on: March 21, 2023, 03:47:16 PM »
Thanks, that's quite an assortment you've got there and it's always interesting to see people's WIPs.

The armoured chicken is very Mordheim. Is it the Dunkeldorf one?

Thanks. I'm an avid collector. If I spot a really fun model I will just buy it, even if I don't have an immediate use for it. And then later, when I'm working on gaming project, I'll dive into my collection for suitable models.  Often the models will inspire me to find unusual uses for them that I hadn't previously though of.  In other instances, such as in the cases of the Mordheim Freelancer model and the Pirate Captain of Sartos a model, a model will inspire me to build an entire warband around them.

Yup. It's Dunkeldorf's Isolde the Guard Chicken.  To keep it on the warhound's back, I replaced the peg leg with a length of metal rod that is a bit longer than the original leg. I then applied glue to chicken's foot and rod and inserted that rod into a hole drilled into the back of the warhound.  Finally, I used a bit of greenstuff to sculpt a new leg and foot around the rod.

The warhound is also a Dunkeldorf miniature: Jaeger, Arnold's Dog.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 04:00:47 PM by Koyote »

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #224 on: March 21, 2023, 04:58:34 PM »
I was searching an old thread on another message board, looking for a particular photo when I happened upon my old Averlander warband.  I painted this warband back in 2010. Some of the photos are pretty bad. I still have these models, so someday I'll get around to re-shooting them.

Here is the original warband.

I added these models after a few games. I upgraded my Bergjaegers' longbows to crossbows, and added a new Mountainguard henchman.

Below is a new version of my Captain.  The original model had really wimpy little bird legs and some defects in the casting. I repaired everything and replaced the legs with plastic parts and greenstuff.

This fella was a hero who got promoted from a henchman ground via Lads Got Talent.

Here's my Captain near the end of the campaign, sporting a fine suit of Gromril armor.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2023, 05:41:35 PM by Koyote »