Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 02:13:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Koyote in Mordheim (And some WHQ)  (Read 74799 times)

Offline Citizen Sade

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
Re: Koyote in Mordheim (And some WHQ)
« Reply #195 on: March 01, 2023, 07:33:21 PM »
Thanks.

Loving the Mordheim revival from you, Hobgoblin et al. Keep up the good work.

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #196 on: March 02, 2023, 07:19:27 AM »
After my last game, one Carnival’s archers was promoted to a Hero (the lad’s got talent). My new Hero’s free advance roll resulted in a new skill, so I selected Weapons Expert from the Shooting skills (his skill lists are Shooting & Strength) and equipped him with a crossbow. Strength 3 Bows are well and good early campaign, but eventually you need strength 4 to get the job done.

With a minor conversion of this weirdo made by Black Crab Miniatures, I now have a suitable model. I think I’ll name him Willum, as in William Tell. I should have plenty of time to get Willum painted before next week’s game.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2023, 04:42:25 PM by Koyote »

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #197 on: March 02, 2023, 09:52:20 PM »
He looks the part! Great kitbash!

Offline plessiez

• Assistant
« Reply #198 on: March 03, 2023, 10:35:32 PM »
Great thread; I really like the desaturated look of your carnival and the range of figures from different manufacturers in there. I like the concept of being made up to look normal is more creepy than seeing the mutations. I was going to ask if you’d seen Rotten Factory and then spotted you already had some. This thread also reminded me of the Lead Adventure Bruegelburg line, are they still available anywhere do you know?

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #199 on: March 04, 2023, 12:03:47 AM »
Great thread; I really like the desaturated look of your carnival and the range of figures from different manufacturers in there. I like the concept of being made up to look normal is more creepy than seeing the mutations. I was going to ask if you’d seen Rotten Factory and then spotted you already had some. This thread also reminded me of the Lead Adventure Bruegelburg line, are they still available anywhere do you know?
Last I checked, Lead Adventure Miniatures stopped producing minis a few years ago.  Magister Militum still carries some of their stuff, but the website states that the range is stock controlled because they can't get new stock.

While I was on the Magister Militum website I purchased these two ladies. They will make wonderful additions to my Carnival.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2023, 02:01:14 AM by Koyote »

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #200 on: March 05, 2023, 02:45:19 AM »
On a whim, I purchased an Avatars of War Ogre Mercenary Captain from an Etsy printer. At first I thought it a bit small, especially when compared to my Pirate Ogre Maneater. Then I compared it to a GW plastic ogre, and realized that the scale is spot on.

Offline Citizen Sade

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #201 on: March 05, 2023, 09:25:25 AM »
Yes, he sizes up very well. There seems to be plenty of printed stuff on Etsy with Mordheim potential. Have you had any other good finds there?

Your bases keep catching my eye and I have a couple of questions. Where do you source the resin ones from? Do you use a texture roller for the Milliput(?) topped ones or are they hand carved?

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #202 on: March 05, 2023, 12:59:56 PM »
That ogre looks great - a nice modern take on Hrothyogg! I've been trying to find a suitable ogre hired sword; the problem with all my classic Golgfag's ogres is that they're little bigger (if at all) than the Mordheim-era orcs I'm using. This guy would certainly do the trick - I'll weigh him up against the Wargames Atlantic landsknecht ogres, which also look the part.

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #203 on: March 06, 2023, 01:59:26 AM »
Yes, he sizes up very well. There seems to be plenty of printed stuff on Etsy with Mordheim potential. Have you had any other good finds there?

Your bases keep catching my eye and I have a couple of questions. Where do you source the resin ones from? Do you use a texture roller for the Milliput(?) topped ones or are they hand carved?
There’s tons of great 3D sculpts suitable for Mordheim, and you can find many of those on Etsy.

The original Mordheim minis are rare and expensive, so 3D sculpts are a great option. Two great 3D kits that come to mind. One is a multi-part kit of Mordheim-like human mercenaries, and the other is a Halfling Witch Hunter warband. The latter is a total rip off of the original Mordheim warband, but reimagined as halflings.

The resin bases are Dragon Forge Design parched wasteland bases. Sadly, last year Dragon Forge stopped making them.

I use Apoxie Sculpt to make homemade versions. I don’t use a texture roller. Rather I spread Apoxie Sculpt across a plastic base. I flatten the surface of the Apoxie Sculpt and trim the extra off the edges. Using a sculpting tool, I sculpt the cobblestones . As the Apoxie Sculpt cures, it expands, so after the base cures for 30 minutes or so, I use a sculpting tool and clay shaper tool to redefine the gaps between the cobblestones.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2023, 02:02:08 AM by Koyote »

Offline Spinal Tap

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #204 on: March 06, 2023, 07:22:58 AM »
This is awesome.

If only I had half the modelling and painting skills you have I'd be a happy man.

Offline Citizen Sade

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #205 on: March 06, 2023, 10:31:58 AM »
Two great 3D kits that come to mind. One is a multi-part kit of Mordheim-like human mercenaries, and the other is a Halfling Witch Hunter warband. The latter is a total rip off of the original Mordheim warband, but reimagined as halflings.
Grim-Forge Scoundrels of the Damned Ruins for the humans, I assume?

The resin bases are Dragon Forge Design parched wasteland bases. Sadly, last year Dragon Forge stopped making them.
Shame. Have you checked out the Fenris Games bases? Plenty of designs that look good for Mordheim and WHQ, IMO.

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #206 on: March 06, 2023, 05:00:32 PM »
Grim-Forge Scoundrels of the Damned Ruins for the humans, I assume?
Shame. Have you checked out the Fenris Games bases? Plenty of designs that look good for Mordheim and WHQ, IMO.
I was referring to the kit pictured below. The shop selling it is "taking a short break", which I assume is code for "we've received a cease and desist order from Games Workshop". ;)

The Fenris bases are nice, but I ended up purchasing cobblestone bases from an Australian company, Back2Bases.

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #207 on: March 07, 2023, 07:19:40 AM »
I finished Willum and a Bloodletter. The latter is part of my Random Happenings project.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #208 on: March 07, 2023, 09:49:02 AM »
Superb! Great work on both.

Offline eMills

• Scientist
« Reply #209 on: March 07, 2023, 11:32:22 AM »
I was referring to the kit pictured below. The shop selling it is "taking a short break", which I assume is code for "we've received a cease and desist order from Games Workshop". ;)

These are figures from Reptilian Overlords, if anyone has a printer and wanted them.  Specifically the Mercenaries & Militia Set 1.

Great sculpts and all of the pre-supported files that I have tried have all worked for me so far.

Edit:
Reptilian Overlords has a list of authorized print sellers on the website, if anyone wanted their figures but doesn't have a printer. 
« Last Edit: March 07, 2023, 11:42:42 AM by eMills »