Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:59:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686553
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Issues with Black Tree Design - ongoing  (Read 40918 times)

Online Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
Re: Issues with Black Tree Design - ongoing
« Reply #225 on: April 13, 2021, 02:40:43 PM »
My orders with them over the years have always come through sooner or later, usually sooner.  It helps to order from the sales items as that's what they're stocking up on.

I've recently put in a couple of orders with them, each shipped within several days of ordering.  Both were of Dr. Who ranges that were on sale at the time.

While hunting for 1970s civilians figures, especially females which are in very short supply on the market, the light suddenly dawned that the Doctor ranges are a goldmine for this!

Offline Ockius

• Scientist
« Reply #226 on: April 13, 2021, 05:43:59 PM »
I meant to ask, does your friend/servant Hung Ho also paint your minis? :D

Haha, yes, but it takes a long time to ship them all way to his home in China, and back  ;)
My armies:
- Henry VIII's army (WIP) 15mm
- Ancient Germans (28mm)
- Ancient Belgae (Gauls with German allies) (28mm)
- Massilian Greeks (Greeks and Gallic mercenaries/subjects) (28mm)
- A few EI Romans (28mm)
- Handful of WW2 British (15mm)
- A load of old 1993-1999ish Warhammer Orcs and Goblins

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #227 on: April 30, 2021, 01:36:36 PM »
I just got my last order through from BTD, all present and correct. Took about 8 weeks, but I wasn't worried as on the website my order was showing as "unfulfilled". It's when it says "fulfilled" but you haven't received it is when you start getting vexed.
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Online Cat

• Mastermind
    • Goblinhall
Black Tree Designs……?
« Reply #228 on: January 20, 2022, 07:15:23 PM »
I order from them regularly, including an order today and I already got a tracking number.

BUT — I try to limit my orders to what is on sale for any given week as that is what they are currently casting.  If you order other items and they are out of stock, there can be significant delays until they can fill the order.

[Moderator edit: the above and the following four (4) posts were originally made in reply to another thread on essentially the same issue, and were therefore folded into the existing thread to avoid information split.]
« Last Edit: January 30, 2022, 05:58:51 AM by Westfalia Chris »

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
Re: Black Tree Designs……?
« Reply #229 on: January 20, 2022, 07:18:17 PM »
They can be slow to very slow, up to a no show. There should me a topic about them somewhere on this board. To be honest, to me they've always delivered, I think 4-5 orders over the many years. But some took a couple of months ( located in the Netherlands ).
Leadhead

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #230 on: January 25, 2022, 05:31:12 PM »
I order from them regularly, including an order today and I already got a tracking number.

BUT — I try to limit my orders to what is on sale for any given week as that is what they are currently casting.  If you order other items and they are out of stock, there can be significant delays until they can fill the order.

Do you order from the US or UK site?
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Online Cat

• Mastermind
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #231 on: January 25, 2022, 05:38:56 PM »
Do you order from the US or UK site?

US.  I've done a string of small orders of sale items in the past few months, and they've all come in fine.

Offline Aesthete

• Librarian
    • Dispatches from the Miniature Front
« Reply #232 on: January 29, 2022, 10:37:59 PM »
I just got an order from them yesterday (US site).

When I placed the order I got the confirmation, then nothing. After a month I wrote a polite note and got an equally polite reply almost immediately, including an offer of an extra free pack thrown in to compensate for the delay. After a bit (because I myself was slow at responding to some of the emails) the order got sent out and eventually arrived (I think with two bonus backs, actually).

As I understand it, it's a one person operation so while I obviously prefer fast turn around, the slowness is - to me - understandable (and kind of matches my experience with a couple of other boutique manufacturers as well).

I'll also note that the miniatures were cast to a high standard - no flash at all, and very minimal mold lines (on many minis, basically none). This contrasts favourably to the GW LotR metal minis I received as a present at Christmas (what a mess).

Personally, I'm happy to order from them again.
Dispatches from the Miniature Front - my occasionally updated blog

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #233 on: January 30, 2022, 09:30:00 AM »
As I understand it, it's a one person operation so while I obviously prefer fast turn around, the slowness is - to me - understandable (and kind of matches my experience with a couple of other boutique manufacturers as well).

I really do not understand why people take the risk of ordering from them at all. They have had an appalling record for over two decades!   

I'll also note that the miniatures were cast to a high standard - no flash at all, and very minimal mold lines (on many minis, basically none). This contrasts favourably to the GW LotR metal minis I received as a present at Christmas (what a mess).

I know quite a few one person show companies that get the miniatures cast to a very high standard who get them in the post very quickly and they are with me within a few days max.

Personally, I'm happy to order from them again.

I've never ordered from them due to their dreadful record going back many years- not just on this forum- they were notoriously bad even in the days of The WAB Forum and that's going back a bit!

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #234 on: January 30, 2022, 08:50:29 PM »
Like Atheling said, this has been going on for 20 years.  :o

It was about 20 years ago when Bill at TMP exposed them as 'sock puppets', because they were answering 'bad service from Black Tree Design' posts under false names, insulting the posters. They chose to do that rather than improve their service, and 20 years on still haven't.  o_o

Offline Johnp4000

• Librarian
« Reply #235 on: January 31, 2022, 01:18:46 PM »
It is a real pity as some of their figures are very good. I was at Salute once, in the pub nearby, and someone mentioned their name on our table and never experienced the reaction before, so many comments from other tables around about long delays, unfulfilled orders etc It is amazing how consistent their poor performance is, the same problems for over 20 years!

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #236 on: January 31, 2022, 03:09:04 PM »
I knew them personally 20 years ago, when they were based in Nottingham. The tales I could tell you of their business practises would make your toes curl.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #237 on: January 31, 2022, 04:05:50 PM »
I knew them personally 20 years ago, when they were based in Nottingham. The tales I could tell you of their business practises would make your toes curl.

This is what eats me up about them. They have continued  the same business practices for decades and yet the word just hasn't spread. This thread should stand as testament to the disappointment and outrage they have acquired over the years.

I wish The WAB Forum was still in existence; just to link up the Black Tree thread from the forum.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #238 on: January 31, 2022, 04:25:43 PM »
I wish The WAB Forum was still in existence; just to link up the Black Tree thread from the forum.
Here you go: link. I couldn't find the thread in question, but perhaps you remember where it was located.

Offline Aesthete

• Librarian
    • Dispatches from the Miniature Front
« Reply #239 on: January 31, 2022, 04:35:19 PM »
I really do not understand why people take the risk of ordering from them at all. They have had an appalling record for over two decades!

Mostly because I was completely unaware of this record. If I'd known, I may have been more hesitant. But typically I don't spend time researching manufacturers and I haven't really been on LAF for a while either.

I know quite a few one person show companies that get the miniatures cast to a very high standard who get them in the post very quickly and they are with me within a few days max.

And that is obviously preferable, agreed.

I've never ordered from them due to their dreadful record going back many years- not just on this forum- they were notoriously bad even in the days of The WAB Forum and that's going back a bit!

Yikes.

Definitely something I'll keep in mind in the future, though I've probably have what I could possibly want from them in the foreseeable future.