Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 06, 2024, 12:48:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1696468
  • Total Topics: 118770
  • Online Today: 453
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: (COMMERCIAL) Hue 1968 from Gringo40s. New!!  (Read 218181 times)

Offline Tom Dulski

• Mad Scientist
  • BOOKWORM
Re: (COMMERCIAL) Hue 1968 from Gringo40s. New!!
« Reply #1500 on: December 29, 2023, 12:32:50 PM »

fascinating :o
 Sad to think that the M76 might not have seen that much action. But I guess when you think about it makes sense. It  wouldn't have been necessary on the squad level to boost firepower as everyone was already armed with the M16.

Offline gringo

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #1501 on: December 30, 2023, 11:31:54 PM »

28mm Gringoi40s Marines in action one of our customers "Liams" great work!
Regards
Ged
www.gringo40s.com

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #1502 on: December 30, 2023, 11:40:52 PM »
The grease gun wasn't just popular it was the weapon issued to US tank crews until at least the late 1980s. Pretty much as it was the only thing handy enough to be toted in and out of the hatches of a tank above a pistol.

Yep - to M60 and M48 crews.  Oddly enough, M1s got an M16 per tank (and no M3s)...
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Online carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #1503 on: December 31, 2023, 02:43:38 AM »
Interesting. Maybe the contrast was too great between the old and the new?  'Here's your brand new tank, it comes complete with a 40 year old submachinegun'. lol

Bit surprised they didn't give 'em XM-177/ CAR-15s which would have been a bit handier.  The Bradleys initially came with those dopey M231 carbines didn't they?
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #1504 on: December 31, 2023, 10:21:44 AM »
The Bradleys initially came with those dopey M231 carbines didn't they?
They were, but not for dismounted use (I have an image of an Imperial Guard Chimera when I think of a Bradley with M231s).

Possibly more for entertainment than information (YMMV).
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/M231_Firing_Port_Weapon

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #1505 on: December 31, 2023, 08:23:12 PM »
They were, but not for dismounted use (I have an image of an Imperial Guard Chimera when I think of a Bradley with M231s).

Possibly more for entertainment than information (YMMV).
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/M231_Firing_Port_Weapon

Later in my career I was Bradley crew as well as dismounted infantry ('93 to 2000 Washington National Guard). We talked about using 231s in trench clearing ops but never actually did it. Do not recall ever seeing a 231 outside the armsroom. Funny I do not recall discussing their use for MOUT, just trench work. Weird.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline gringo

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #1506 on: January 02, 2024, 11:47:57 AM »

Grumpy.........fascinating insight into 231s ;)
often wonder what they were like to travel in!

regards
Ged
www.gringo40s.com

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #1507 on: January 02, 2024, 12:10:26 PM »

Grumpy.........fascinating insight into 231s ;)
often wonder what they were like to travel in!

regards
Ged
www.gringo40s.com

Riding as a track commander, standing with an open turret hatch as your driver has it floored over undulating but fairly smooth terrain is an amazing feeling. Similar to a M113 series but better. A bit like a fast boat over waves. I bet it is even more amazing in an M1 Abrams but I have never been in an Abrams.

Being inside was claustrophobic for some but it never bothered me. We had a former paratrooper who always got motion sickness riding in back. I found it easy to sleep in the back on road marches with the constant hum. Sleeping buttoned up at night in the back was not fun as condensation would make it feel like you slept in the rain. Some folks had trouble with situational awareness in the back, making operations upon exiting difficult, especially for NCOs trying to organize their dismounts but it never really bothered me and I was pretty good at visualizing the area around the vehicle even with the limited view of the observation ports.

There was never enough room, gear was often strapped to the outside of the vehicle, too often resulting in lost equipment for careless troops.

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #1508 on: January 03, 2024, 12:14:48 AM »
Riding as a track commander, standing with an open turret hatch as your driver has it floored over undulating but fairly smooth terrain is an amazing feeling. Similar to a M113 series but better. A bit like a fast boat over waves. I bet it is even more amazing in an M1 Abrams but I have never been in an Abrams.

Being inside was claustrophobic for some but it never bothered me. We had a former paratrooper who always got motion sickness riding in back. I found it easy to sleep in the back on road marches with the constant hum. Sleeping buttoned up at night in the back was not fun as condensation would make it feel like you slept in the rain. Some folks had trouble with situational awareness in the back, making operations upon exiting difficult, especially for NCOs trying to organize their dismounts but it never really bothered me and I was pretty good at visualizing the area around the vehicle even with the limited view of the observation ports.

There was never enough room, gear was often strapped to the outside of the vehicle, too often resulting in lost equipment for careless troops.

Riding in am M! was great.  With a good driver, the faster over rough terrain, the better.  Even if you go airborne for a short distance...

Fortunately, I'm not claustrophobic.  And original M1 did not have a real bustle rack (just short ones on the turret sides).  It did come with a mesh-like strap thingy with which you could strap shit to the turret rear.  We were SOOOOO glad when we got the M1IP upgrade kits, which included a real honest-to-God rear bustle rack...

I wonder, though.  Are we wandering a bit off-topic with GED's thread?   :D

Offline gringo

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #1509 on: January 03, 2024, 12:37:32 AM »

Grumpy and CapnJim
loving how this thread
is going..from smooth
to bumpy rides!.. ;) :o :-* ;) :o :-*
there is that amended quote..
you were there! so its good to
listen and learn..i do have a
question as to the Armour...
enough not to worry...? ???

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #1510 on: January 03, 2024, 07:38:28 AM »

Grumpy and CapnJim
loving how this thread
is going..from smooth
to bumpy rides!.. ;) :o :-* ;) :o :-*
there is that amended quote..
you were there! so its good to
listen and learn..i do have a
question as to the Armour...
enough not to worry...? ???

I do not wish to wander off topic with my nostalgic rambling. Sorry about that. Just feels nice to share the memories with folks that express an interest. As to the question, while I was not a tanker being Bradley crew sometimes felt like being a “tanker junior”… and while the armor sometimes made you feel less vulnerable than just being out on foot with a k-pot the size and noise of the vehicles made me feel vulnerable at the same time. So I suppose for me it was never enough to not worry. Not sure how Capt Jim felt about it in his Abrams.

Online carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #1511 on: January 03, 2024, 09:20:56 AM »
There's something distinctly otherworldly about armour moving at speed. Leopards seemed to glide across the range at Puckapunyal.  I have a vivid memory of them appearing out of a dawn mist and closing much more rapidly than one would have expected. It's a bit distracting for a moment or two.

Ged maybe you should consider a 1980s Cold War range, there's no shortage of late 50 somethings here. Key demographic.  lol

Offline gringo

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #1512 on: January 03, 2024, 09:33:32 AM »

Carlos
sooo very tempting...........Spies and all!!
im sure  you would ne tempted! ;)
regards
Ged
www.gringo40s.com

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #1513 on: January 03, 2024, 03:06:40 PM »
I do not wish to wander off topic with my nostalgic rambling. Sorry about that. Just feels nice to share the memories with folks that express an interest. As to the question, while I was not a tanker being Bradley crew sometimes felt like being a “tanker junior”… and while the armor sometimes made you feel less vulnerable than just being out on foot with a k-pot the size and noise of the vehicles made me feel vulnerable at the same time. So I suppose for me it was never enough to not worry. Not sure how Capt Jim felt about it in his Abrams.

Never really felt vulnerable.  I think the act that we were in one of (if not the) most advanced tanks in the world at the time, may have made us feel a bit confident.  One interesting note - we were all issued flak vests.  Which we all joked about tossing into a pile at the front gate as we rolled out to our battle positions in the event the balloon ever went up.  We all figured if a round did penetrate, that vest wasn't gonna be of much help... :D

There's something distinctly otherworldly about armour moving at speed. Leopards seemed to glide across the range at Puckapunyal.  I have a vivid memory of them appearing out of a dawn mist and closing much more rapidly than one would have expected. It's a bit distracting for a moment or two.

Ged maybe you should consider a 1980s Cold War range, there's no shortage of late 50 somethings here. Key demographic.  lol

Yes, and M1s are very quiet.  It was amazing how we could sneak up on someone's position in 4 63-ton armored vehicles...

As for those figure carlos suggested, I'd definitely be interested (except I ain't in my 50s any more...  :D ).

Offline gringo

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #1514 on: January 04, 2024, 01:54:57 PM »

turned into a fascinating thread with Grumpy,Capn
Jim..and Calos.experiences! cheers chaps ;)
regards
Ged
www.gringo40s.com