Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:47:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691066
  • Total Topics: 118369
  • Online Today: 810
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Review: Biker Gang by West Wind  (Read 3177 times)

Offline Curryman

• Librarian
    • The Screaming Alpha
Review: Biker Gang by West Wind
« on: June 13, 2009, 02:15:44 AM »
This week at the Screaming Alpha we get our motor running and head out on the highway with a huge 25mm biker gang box set from West Wind. This massive set contains ten metal bikers and their bikes, with a wide variety of separate heads, weapon arms, and front bike forks allowing for many customization options. Are these bikers true Wild Ones or do they deserve to plunge to the bottom of the Snake River Canyon? Follow the link for the supersized review and accompanying mountain of photos.

http://thescreamingalpha.com/2009/06/12/review-human-biker-gang-by-west-wind/
Check out The Screaming Alpha http://thescreamingalpha.com for the best in miniature and RPG reviews, guaranteed! [Not a guarantee]

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Review: Biker Gang by West Wind
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 02:58:36 PM »
Cool dudes. That's the way I like 'em. Hairy and dirty.
Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 05:51:59 PM »
Useful review, Curryman. Thanks for making the effort!

There's food for thought there, especially as they don't seem to do foot figures to match. I probably won't buy them, as there seems too much work for my fumbling fingers  :(

I have the various Copplestone biker sculpts, but they are only foot figures with no "mounted" versions  >:(

Going the "Pappa Midnight" route and converting figures to fit on existing bikes isn't really an option either.

Oh well, my motorcycle club will just have to remain as pedestrians  lol

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2009, 06:51:50 PM »
Good review and I did these a while back and they are a pain to fit to the handle bars/bike seats a shame....though as you said you can work around it I still havent used mine yet but plan to have a "biker tourney" or use them for a raid scenario for later post initial out breaks

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2009, 07:40:55 PM »
They've turned out very well and like Curryman's they look to be worth the amount of effort involved in their construction!

I'm a little bit worried by the fella on the pink bike, though.

He must be the hardest biker in the known universe  lol

Offline Curryman

• Librarian
    • The Screaming Alpha
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2009, 07:41:25 PM »
Thanks for reading, guys.

@Gluteus Maximus I plan to get those Copplestone bikers as well. I already have the older sculpts Mark did for Grenadier (now sold through em-4), so I'm gathering quite a club. I really wanted to recommend these guys, since as you say there are precious few mounted bikers out there. Frankly, if you're willing to skig through the assembly process I think they're more than worth the price, but you better be ready to do some work.

@Lowtardog Nice looking gang you have there! I do really like how these guys look on the tabletop. They look great from arm's length (at least mine do). It's only up close you start to notice the compromises and forced conversion work. Thanks for sharing.

Offline Lordblackwing

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2009, 08:44:33 PM »
Curryman: thanks for the review, alot of useful insights to had.

To the general league, a possibly silly question, but as one who has ridden, and may again ride, is there anyone out there who makes riders with thier "right" in both senses hand on the throttle? Indian is/was the only bike I know of with a left hand throttle, so West Wind's gang must have a bunch of them. It's a small thing, but it bugs me. Guess I could just cut and paste both arms to get a proper Harley or Triumph rider. Any ideas? ???
A fellow follower of the Lead Mountain

Offline Col.Stone

• Mastermind
    • The compound
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2009, 07:35:59 PM »
thanks for the review, i've been eyeing these for Zed-games, just wish they made a set of unseated guys too :)

Offline Curryman

• Librarian
    • The Screaming Alpha
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2009, 09:18:21 PM »
@Lordblackwing and Col.Stone Glad you liked it. Thanks for the feedback. It means a lot.

@Col.Stone There are some decent bikers on foot out there. Em4 has several good ones in the "Future Wars" range, which I think are old Mark Copplestone sculpts. I just finished painting 'em, so look for a review in the next couple of weeks.
http://www.em4miniatures.com/acatalog/BIKERS.html

Copplestone Castings also has some good-looking bikers. I haven't seen them personally but they're on my list.
http://www.copplestonecastings.co.uk/range.php?range=FW

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2009, 09:41:10 PM »
@Lordblackwing and Col.Stone Glad you liked it. Thanks for the feedback. It means a lot.

@Col.Stone There are some decent bikers on foot out there. Em4 has several good ones in the "Future Wars" range, which I think are old Mark Copplestone sculpts. I just finished painting 'em, so look for a review in the next couple of weeks.
http://www.em4miniatures.com/acatalog/BIKERS.html

Copplestone Castings also has some good-looking bikers. I haven't seen them personally but they're on my list.
http://www.copplestonecastings.co.uk/range.php?range=FW

Yes, the em4 figures are old Copplestone sculpts. As with other figures in both Future Wars ranges, you can see how he has updated his original concepts in later models.

The Em4 are very nice, though and definitely worth mixing in with the newer versions.