Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:57:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691074
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 823
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- new painted figures 11/11  (Read 93829 times)

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- Second batrep from the weekend, 9/25
« Reply #135 on: September 27, 2019, 05:00:40 PM »
I'm looking to having  nothing bigger then a 4x4  table, in fact that's  my plan is a 4x4 table, then just use the 4d  all the way down  to the finial sub-sector.

I'm not sure if it is because I only play solo, but too much space usually just translates to 2-3 turns of moving figures without anything else going on. 2-3 turns moving 10+ figures is just dull. Once contact is met things resolve quickly, and then it is back to moving things around for a few turns... I am partial to the action bits, and the 4x4 (or 2x2 for 15mm) seems to be just the right amount of maneuvering room without having to delay the more exciting parts of a game.

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #136 on: September 28, 2019, 03:07:16 PM »
I know that it might be a little big (4x4) but I like my terrain pieces a little on the bigger side

Here is one

Here are some figures on it for scale.

I don't care for my terrain items to just block line of sight but I want to be able to interact with them as being able to move over them and under them like this piece. The arch stone bridge.

So there can be some interesting discoveries along the way even if they are not technically in the story so to speak of. Then they could be added in at a later date as of interest in another game to come back too, for further investigating.

I built these by just layering cardboard one upon another, I had a plan first or in idea as to how I wanted it to look like, so Using paper and a figure on a base already done, I start planning out each layer till I have on paper what I want, now of course as I cut out the cardboard it changes a little or an additional idea will pop into my head and it just grows in a little different direction, because they never turn out as I had planned.

Covered them in tissue. ( they look like some weird layer cake  lol)

Then very fine sand, I used pool sand for pool filters.(Yum sugary frosted Donut! :P)

Then I just paint them as I see fit, I like these pieces that I have made because I can use them for almost about anything, terrain in a vast cavern, with some trees they a part of a mountain range, desert terrain fairly about any terrain I wish and yes the are a little big there for I need to look at a little bigger table.

I hope these inspire you to make some too! I need to make some more myself, I have plans already on paper just need the time now.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 03:22:14 PM by War Monkey »
Just remember "If the Enemy is in range, so are YOU!

http://silo1313.blogspot.com/

Offline zrunelord

• Mastermind
    • Picts from the Front
« Reply #137 on: September 28, 2019, 04:28:29 PM »
I remember those WM & they came out great.
In fact I am saving a Tv cardboard box for just a similar project.
 I agree with you 2ft square or even 1.5ft is the ideal size for 15mm skirmishes.One of the reason I use heroic games or David Graffam terrain art.Then I can build boards to my size.Though I also do bigger ones which can be folded , so a 4 x 3 becomes a 2 x 1.5.

See here

http://castrarunis.blogspot.com/2017/04/hand-made-gaming-boards.html

And here - scatter terrain must be easily stackable & / or transportable.
http://castrarunis.blogspot.com/2017/04/all-kinds-of-terrain-2.html
http://castrarunis.blogspot.com/2016/08/all-kinds-of-terrain.html

Here also
http://castrarunis.blogspot.com/2017/11/15mm-to-28mm-necromunda-game-board.html

Hope you find something useful ;)
Z
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 04:45:00 PM by zrunelord »
http://castrarunis.blogspot.com/

Imagine & you can.
Most see shapes you must see possibilities.
Z

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #138 on: September 28, 2019, 04:57:58 PM »
zrunelord, Thanks!
I remember yours as well! Those look great! It dose remind me of some ideas.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 05:14:36 PM by War Monkey »

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #139 on: September 30, 2019, 03:20:09 PM »
Thanks for the contributions, guys!

Warmonkey, your cardboard hills inspired this 28mm terrain piece (Which is huge):

That board, which you can't fully see, is a 3x3' and the hill terrain takes up a solid 18x24", give or take.  :D

This was mostly a goof around project because I wanted to see if I could make it a piece of terrain with swappable terrain features on CDs. At the time the idea was something like building a whole set of these and basing everything else on CDs to change up the landscape. It was a little harder to pull off in 28mm than 15mm, since each layer really doesn't represent anything significant in terms of height at 28mm scale. Plus, pieces really had to be pretty huge to accommodate 1-3 CDs.

So onto the upcoming gaming weekend. The terrain that needs finished up is the second starship dungeon. Walls are in, base coat of paint is done:

And the bridge is ready for the detail paint:

I have a second smaller ship that will feature in the upcoming game, which will need painted up. Hoping to get that 75% knocked out tonight.

In the meantime, I went ahead and made some progress on the Forbear buildings. Today is some flooring for the EWIG.

Still need to come up with some table options for the booth areas. I think I know what that will look like. I may forgo seating as I would like to get figures around the tables themselves. I was going to stain the sticks some weird color, but then thought that maybe having "Earth wood" could be a sign of prestige. Getting it shipped across the galaxy, etc. So I'll probably stain it something pretty normal.

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- Terrain progress 9/30
« Reply #140 on: September 30, 2019, 03:41:31 PM »
Thank You,
Your terrain pieces  look great, using old CD  disk to be able to mix up the terrain as you did is an excellent  idea, I never have thought of that! But now I like it thanks, being that I only deal in 15s, I'm thinking using  large metal washers might fit the bill and magnets to hold them in place will work, Thank You again  for the  idea.

Your ship is looking amazing, and having a modular  bridge is a great idea as well!

The colors for you building EWIG  is looking good as well. Earth wood would be living or in this case dinning  in high class, I would think an excellent  choice  for  the  menu.  lol

Offline Billchuck

• Scientist
    • Velociengineer.net
« Reply #141 on: September 30, 2019, 04:36:33 PM »
I think you can find wooden circles of reasonable size in craft stores, too. They should be cheaper than washers.

Or maybe you can find cheap mini cds on eBay?

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #142 on: October 01, 2019, 06:32:06 PM »
Three new sculpts. All WIP, but coming along:

Kneeling pose, 15mm scale (pardon the blurry images. I think I got overzealous with my zoom) :

Standing pose. Trying to make these a bit more dynamic feeling:

The last sculpt is big. Sculpting it as a deep space mining rig in the vein of a Big Daddy. I think it stands about 18-20mm to the top of the bubble.

The good news is that if I keep up this rate of sculpting new figures I may be able to ditch a big pile of 15mm stuff that I purchased. I think I would be pretty pleased with that.

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- New WIP sculpts 10/1
« Reply #143 on: October 01, 2019, 10:32:44 PM »
Very nice work!

I have never sculpt before, I have ideas for figures now and then, the most I have ever done was a few head swaps before, I have thought that maybe on figures that I have duplicates of that I would do a head swap and maybe add a bandolier or extra pouches or some other sort of equipment with Green Stuff. But never sculpt one. 

On the other hand! I will never part with my lead mountain! Never ever, I will have it put into my Will that they shall be buried  with me!    :D

Sorry kids your inherentence  shall be buried  with me  lol (Que  Evil Laugh )

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #144 on: October 02, 2019, 09:59:56 PM »
Monkey,

I'm hoping that sculpting will both reduce the cost of my miniature buying habits, and slow the rate at which I procure them  lol I wouldn't say that my lead pile being buried is so much a threat as a foregone conclusion at this point.

On the subject of sculpts... Here are my Carbonite prisoners, WIP.

Still working on some of the details and greeblies, but the sculpting part turned out ok. The whole thing is going to get painted black and then get a couple light dry brushes of dark grey and a highlight tan, I think. Or maybe a highlight blue? Maybe blue. More indicative of freezing.

These guys look like Sangheili from Halo. Still need some touch ups and bases painted, but I like the way the blue came out.

Everything else I've done this week has been BO-RING. dark washing lines on ship parts, etc. The interesting parts will start happening tonight through Saturday.

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #145 on: October 03, 2019, 07:08:55 AM »
Wow, great paintjobs!

...and those carbonite prisoners are awesome!

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #146 on: October 03, 2019, 01:06:06 PM »
I agree, the work you have done Andrew is great! The paint work is awesome! Your prisoners  turned out just as good!

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #147 on: October 03, 2019, 01:23:25 PM »
Thanks, Ock and Monkey. I should have mentioned the carbonite guys are all 15mm-ish, since the cube they are embedded in is 20mm, I believe.

Sat down and painted up the super secret reveal for my next game. At least most of it. Turned out well, but everyone has to wait until next week to see it.

It feels like hiding my own Easter eggs and I'm oddly enjoying it lol

Offline zrunelord

• Mastermind
    • Picts from the Front
« Reply #148 on: October 03, 2019, 02:40:21 PM »
Teaser, teaser ;)

Love the middle carbonated (?) Alien.
Its face really has an anguished/pained look.
👍👍👍👍

Keep it up my friend.
Z

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #149 on: October 03, 2019, 03:09:19 PM »
Now I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas. (is it Christmas yet! When can we open our presents, aauugg, I can't wait that long gezzzz !)  lol