Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:17:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690587
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 822
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- new painted figures 11/11  (Read 93382 times)

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden - Beds, shuttles, rocks, and tiles... oh my 8/29
« Reply #60 on: September 04, 2019, 05:04:52 PM »
I like the dowel idea, Monkey. I'll be looking for some inspiration from you on that front. Actually got me thinking I could make round lockers too. Put a curved door on the front of a dowel? So many new ideas now!

But for today, something else.  :D

Finished up my major Point of Interest for the upcoming Five Parsecs game; the crashed shuttle.

So, above were the pics of the foam on the cardboard base. Here is the base completed and the cardboard/wire greeblies on the shuttle.

Oh, and the tiles are coming along as well. The edge of a stream can now be seen in its WIP glory.

And with a little paint and magic the shuttle comes out like this:

I am pretty fond of the torn up side of the shuttle.

So, not bad for a free bit of "trash" from a construction site, and the overall labor on this was pretty reasonable. With some concerted effort I believe I could have wrapped this up in 1-2 days, with ample dry time for glue and paint. I think I sat down and worked on this 4 times total. Carving and gluing to base, gluing down basing and greeblies, painting the base, painting the shuttle.

Offline zrunelord

• Mastermind
    • Picts from the Front
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden - Shuttle down! 9/4
« Reply #61 on: September 04, 2019, 06:14:48 PM »
Simple but effective Cook👍👍👍
I would have added something plastered in the flight path for a bit of humor.
A no parking sign, for eg.

Keep it up
Z
http://castrarunis.blogspot.com/

Imagine & you can.
Most see shapes you must see possibilities.
Z

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #62 on: September 04, 2019, 08:53:28 PM »
Really nice project well executed. I like the damage effect with the lose panel.

A plan that I have had on the back burner, was to make such a shuttle or get some escape pods for Alternative  Army and skeletons from Clear Horizon and work it all together some how. As an accidental  discovery  but there are clues to be found for a much larger discovery.

It's going to be awhile before I can have a chance to do any projects or some real work on any gaming, currently I'm  out of town and will be so for awhile the wife is back home slowly packing up thing so we can ready the house for sale.

In the meantime  I will just have to live through  gaming and building project through  everyone  here but just remember I am taking lots of notes, lots of notes!
Just remember "If the Enemy is in range, so are YOU!

http://silo1313.blogspot.com/

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #63 on: September 04, 2019, 09:11:25 PM »
Good ideas all around. I'll be giving those a think.

I will probably sculpt some wounded/dead crew markers at some point. That might be next in the journey. I'm trying to let the game play dictate what pops up next as a mission, so I'll have to see where things lead! So far, I'm thinking the game every other week, and create a new point of interest in the off weeks seems doable. I'm actually quite excited to play again on Sunday.

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #64 on: September 05, 2019, 02:15:37 AM »
Sound like a good balance, looking forward to your next post.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #65 on: September 05, 2019, 04:06:05 PM »
Quick (not quick) update on some sculpts on my table:

First up are the finished Short bugs:

Super quick and easy way to get a handful of space bugs made up. I'll probably come up with some other versions of these. Queens, larvae, something.

Next up is my first mutant/alpha predator which someone lovingly(?) named Frog-Butt. lol

A bit of a knuckle dragger...

And I believe this was the shot that earned him his nom de guerre.

A smile only a mother Frog-Butt could love.

My Ameob (not Dralasite) with a little splash of paint and a fancy new gun. Still trying to figure out his color palette, but I knew I wanted him in some bright orange pants.

This is what I do with leftover green stuff. This is a 7mm-ish, not BB-8 style droid, with feet.... I don't know. He may end up being a point of interest to recover and retrieve the stolen plans (not R-2), or maybe he will end up as some kind of tool. A force field projector, or scanner?

These pictures aren't great. This is my attempt to mold some kind of ugly "vent critter" for my games. Vent critters, a la Alien, tend to be plentiful enough. So I plan to cast up a number of these out of green stuff. They just need to be good enough since they are a horde. The back end turned out to look a bit like a Thanksgiving turkey. So I'm just calling these Gobblers for now.

This view... very turkey to me lol

The first cast. These require a little clean up as the blue-stuff mold is a bit off, but not enough that I care to try and fix it. Just takes a little poking and digging after it comes out of the mold.

I'm on Gobbler #3 of... I'll have to look up the max number that could show. I think it might be 8? Since I have a mold, I can also add some extra bits to create some variations. Frills, spines, etc. First thing is to simply get them made up.

First crack at making a 15mm head.

Which was then added to my Duz engineer. there is also a new "tool" of some sort in the mechanical fist. A little touch up and this will be ready for paint.

Next is a alien critter. Some kind of three tentacled armor plated snake turtle? There are some bodies of water in my terrestrial tiles, so maybe this is what lurks in/around those.

And lastly, my next humanoid figure. Trying a more dynamic pose for this one.

That is all for today. Sat down and started working on hull #2 for my space dungeon build. Got about half way on getting the external hull glued on. Hopefully I'll be able to get in and finish the construction this weekend. Need to create engine room #2 as well. I am happy with the number of geological and plant terrain pieces I have for my 2x2 board, so the next construction focus, planet side, will all be urban.

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden - Sculpting update 9/5 and Shuttle down! 9/4
« Reply #66 on: September 06, 2019, 07:33:53 AM »
It's a joy watching your creativity run loose!

I just get jealous that I don't have the possibility to have as much hobby time as you seem to have...

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #67 on: September 06, 2019, 05:21:48 PM »
It's a joy watching your creativity run loose!

I just get jealous that I don't have the possibility to have as much hobby time as you seem to have...

I suppose I am lucky that I get to be consistent with my hobby time. These days the wife and I sit down to listen to history podcasts and work on our respective hobbies. That is a few hours through the week and usually 4-5 hours on Sundays. So I put in a full 8 hours per week, most weeks. Kid is all grown up and at college, have a puppy but she is happy enough to sleep nearby. We don't watch a ton of TV, and I spend exactly zero hours on the computer/phone when my work day is done. I also read a good bit, exercise daily, cook most meals for our family from scratch and manage to have an active (but not overwhelming) social life. I won't fully step up onto my soap box, but I have found that we all make decisions about how we spend our time even if those decisions are more adequately described as "not deciding with purpose." Kids take a ton of time, and that is awesome. Work can take a ton of time (commute, long hours, etc) and I personally feel like that is less awesome. I've made some big life changes over the past three years to align my beliefs with my reality, and I'm pretty pleased with the outcome.

That said, I am SUPER jealous of retired guys because I could absolutely slay projects if I had 40 hours a week to devote to it! I am convinced I could make whole towns in a week, lol.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #68 on: September 09, 2019, 03:56:10 PM »
There is a battle report inbound from this weekend's gaming, but first...

Space dungeon 2.0 is coming along.

Above are the next line of bridge/midsection/engine room. Below that was ship 1.0.

Of course, all the parts are mix and match. So it hardly matters that something is 1.0/2.0  ::)

And, because I'm a weirdo, I have started making some scenic backdrops for games. First up is the Bakwotter Belt backdrop for my current space games. Not a bad outcome for about 30-40 minutes of smearing paint around on foam board.

The backside will become the next scenic, which will be a skyline for Bakwotter itself.

Offline zrunelord

• Mastermind
    • Picts from the Front
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden - Space dungeon expanded and backdrop 9/9
« Reply #69 on: September 09, 2019, 05:12:00 PM »
Wierdo ???;D ;D ;D

you made me smile Cook..  :D

keep posting , great work.
My Favourite is the tentacled snake turtle, especially the head.
It came out quite good.

Sculpting human heads in 15/18mm is a nightmare

Keep it up

Z

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #70 on: September 09, 2019, 06:09:57 PM »
What a great idea to do a spaceship like this. Love the design and how practical it is. Spot on!
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #71 on: September 09, 2019, 06:15:13 PM »
Zrune, have any pointers on the heads? I feel like this one might need some tweaking.

Mal, thanks for the positive feedback!

Offline zrunelord

• Mastermind
    • Picts from the Front
« Reply #72 on: September 09, 2019, 07:22:20 PM »
Which the snake turtle?
Can you take pics from the top, front & the side at 90 deg to it ?
Then I might be able to give suggestions..... but I would leave it as is... it looks good
Z

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #73 on: September 09, 2019, 07:31:38 PM »
Which the snake turtle?
Can you take pics from the top, front & the side at 90 deg to it ?
Then I might be able to give suggestions..... but I would leave it as is... it looks good
Z

No, the "normal" human head. Came out kind of bulbous. This one:

I mean, just looking at it I can see that the head lacks much in the way of a jaw line/chin. Probably easier to fix that before I glued the head on  :?

Offline zrunelord

• Mastermind
    • Picts from the Front
« Reply #74 on: September 09, 2019, 08:05:43 PM »
You are right , it is bulbous.
I am not so good at doing human heads. :?

But these 2 links might help, even if on larger minis

http://www.greenstuffworld.com/creative/en/proyectos/52/

Z

« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 08:07:16 PM by zrunelord »