Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:13:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Grumpy Gnome‘s Fantasy Projects Blog (latest update on page 61)  (Read 102826 times)

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
Re: The Grumpy Gnome‘s Fantasy Projects Blog (battle report pg 43)
« Reply #645 on: June 15, 2021, 03:54:47 PM »
I agree. I'm not sure how much more terrain you would want before it became too busy.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #646 on: June 15, 2021, 04:16:21 PM »
Fantastic-looking game! And yes, that's a great table with a good amount of terrain.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #647 on: June 15, 2021, 05:26:42 PM »
Thanks for the kind words. Mrs. GG gets full credit for the table set up. She enjoys that kind of thing more than I do.

I guess I am still getting use to the neoprene mat and new terrain compared to the Citadel grass mat and more traditionally modeled terrain. This was certainly much less faffing about with bits of scatter and was very playable… although that said it was too quick to really test the playability on the rougher terrain bits.

Not sure when we will get a chance to play again but be sure that when we do we will do a battle report on it.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #648 on: June 21, 2021, 07:16:27 PM »
A couple more Toyvian trees finished…

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/2021/06/21/more-treestoy-trees-toyvian-trees/

I recommend these trees. They can be found on Amazon and require a bit of work but they look pretty good and are fairly durable.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #649 on: June 22, 2021, 09:09:05 PM »
As a group, I think those trees give a "cohesive diversity" appearance. Good work!

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #650 on: June 23, 2021, 07:49:49 AM »
Thanks mate!

I am keen for our Monster Fight Club Icy Wilds and Dwarven Forge Wildlands Kickstarter pledges to arrive to really make a decent 8x4 forest table.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
I finally finished my personal touches on the first lot of the Gabrigames Workshop pieces we bought and I wrote up a bit of review with those as well as the second lot we bought… which are still unpainted unfortunately.

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/2021/06/23/gabrigames-workshopa-review/
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 07:34:25 PM by Grumpy Gnome »

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
lovely work on those tents and bits and bobs  :-*

like those trees - wonder if they're available in the uk ...

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Gabrigames Workshop  did a stunning job on the painting. A bit vibrant for us but a sepia wash toned it down nicely.

You can get Toyvian trees on Amazon UK.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Toyvian-Miniature-Architecture-Landscape-Simulated/dp/B083LSN4GN/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=Toyvian+trees&qid=1624534612&sr=8-6

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
Very cool set of bits and pieces, and the patchwork painting on the beds/bedrolls is fun!

Not that I need a new source for fun small terrain, I still haven't painted anything from the batch of small terrain I got months ago from Bad Squiddo...

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
I do like the toned-down look. I liked the original version well enough, but I think the toned-down keeps the character while fitting your terrain more closely.

Offline mirjeki

• Bookworm
Great posts as usual! It's good to see another battle report, I feel sorry for the human mercenary who was 'rescued' by the spectre!

The Toyvian trees do look good, but I find the roots a bit bland. Maybe I've been spoilt by Dwarven Forge but I think a little base with some foliage (and some critters!) would go a long way to improving the Toyvian trees. Not that I'm finding more work for you to do of course.

Great job on toning down the Gabrigames Workshop items. The original paintjobs were fantastic, but perhaps a little too brilliant, they look like they'll fit right in now.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
I did base my Toyvian trees for this reason. I was mostly worried they wouldn't stand up once dropped on my gaming mat.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Yeah, fair point on the roots of the trees being a bit bland Mirjeki. We chose to weight them and not base them so they could more easily just fit on whatever without having yet more circular bases all over the place.

However, your tree looks brilliant with that base Andrew.

I particularly like how you painted the trunk. Excellent color choices and great drybrushing.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
Gabrigames Workshop  did a stunning job on the painting. A bit vibrant for us but a sepia wash toned it down nicely.

You can get Toyvian trees on Amazon UK.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Toyvian-Miniature-Architecture-Landscape-Simulated/dp/B083LSN4GN/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=Toyvian+trees&qid=1624534612&sr=8-6

crikey - thanks Rick - I had looked on Amazon and it said sold -out. No Google-fu ...
picked up some of the big-uns.

and yes, now I can see that the sepia wash has made a big difference: muting and shading
« Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 12:52:48 PM by Bloggard »