Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:12:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686613
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 757
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Italian Wars- Up and Coming Vignette- Page 20- UPDATED- 05-04-2023  (Read 39786 times)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Which ruleset are you using?

I'm going to base the miniatures up so they can be used, with a little fudging, mainly for Furioso, Impetus and Swordpoint (a Swordpoint event was what instigated the army, though it's impossible to get a Spanish Italian Wars army to look right with those rules!)

Not much help but I try to base my armies up for as many different systems as possible nowadays. Re-basing is the devil.

Offline Tonhel

• Mad Scientist
I'm going to base the miniatures up so they can be used, with a little fudging, mainly for Furioso, Impetus and Swordpoint (a Swordpoint event was what instigated the army, though it's impossible to get a Spanish Italian Wars army to look right with those rules!)

Not much help but I try to base my armies up for as many different systems as possible nowadays. Re-basing is the devil.

I agree, that rebasing is the devil  :D, I am also working on a swordpoint army. But now I am thinking about using 60x50 for infantry and 60*80 for cavarly in the same way David Imrie is doing his Early HYW. Which looks very cool.
Anyway I find it very hard to find the right base size. The bigger, the more dynamic the group looks, but than it isn't as useable for different rulesets.

About armylists, for my Spanish army, I currently like the WAB: El Cid armylist as that one gives more options than the the Swordpoints armylist..

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
I agree, that rebasing is the devil  :D, I am also working on a swordpoint army. But now I am thinking about using 60x50 for infantry and 60*80 for cavarly in the same way David Imrie is doing his Early HYW. Which looks very cool.
Anyway I find it very hard to find the right base size. The bigger, the more dynamic the group looks, but than it isn't as useable for different rulesets.

I usually give up a little on the depth of my unit bases to give me more leeway ion the composition of the miniatures. Actually a trick I learned from David when I was a member of South East Scotland Wargames Club. If it means i het outflanked more often then not so be it  :D
See the bases below - I like the miniature to tell a story:

About armylists, for my Spanish army, I currently like the WAB: El Cid armylist as that one gives more options than the the Swordpoints armylist..

I agree re: the Swordpoint lists compared to James Morris' El Cid WAB supplement. The Swordpoint lists seem very vanilla by comparison. I think his Age of Arthur and El Cid WAB supplements can be played, and have been played, without a lot of the "gamey-ness" that some WAB supplements are guilty of as the lists are just so well balanced. If you used markers for casualties (in WAB) I don't think you would have any problems cross pollinating with Swordpoint and basing.

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
I'm a little confused.   o_o o_o o_o o_o

Isn't this army set in the very early 1500s for the Italian Wars not the 1100's for the Reconquista.  Do you have your threads mixed up ??? ???

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
I'm a little confused.   o_o o_o o_o o_o

Isn't this army set in the very early 1500s for the Italian Wars not the 1100's for the Reconquista.  Do you have your threads mixed up ??? ???

I don't think so.

Tonhel was just saying that he was basing up an army for either Swordpoint or WAB. I'm facing a similar problem, which I think I have gone some way to finding a resolution in that I'm basing for Swordpoint and Furioso which both have quote different base sizes.

Offline Tonhel

• Mad Scientist
That picture is exactly what I want to achieve. I completely agree with telling a story. Imo, the bases / unit has to be as immersive and dynamic as possible. Not just a bunch of ranked robots.  :)

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
That is my experience too. I have three boxes sitting waiting to be opened at the moment; I refuse allow myself to open them yet so as to give impetus to the units I'm currently working on  lol

To be fair mine were from a few years ago, perhaps the moulds were renewed since then. I just remember having quite a lot of cleanup to do with mine. Certainly not casting shade on TAG or the figures; both are great. I simply added that aspect as a testament to your skills at getting the best from the models.  :D

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
To be fair mine were from a few years ago, perhaps the moulds were renewed since then. I just remember having quite a lot of cleanup to do with mine. Certainly not casting shade on TAG or the figures; both are great. I simply added that aspect as a testament to your skills at getting the best from the models.  :D

Probably so, the life of a mould has a kind of rhythm. The older it gets the more wear and tear. In general the nearer you get to buying models that have popped out of a fairly fresh mould the better. Well, that's my experience anyway :)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God

I finished these little fellows off this morning who will be acting as my command in the first unit of Arquebusiers. As I explained in a previous post the reason for building up this Spanish force is twofold, i/ to take part in the Swordpoint Medieval event in September and ii/ to build up units for Cerignola 1503  or perhaps even Bicocca 1522 using Furioso wargames rules as a display game. I am finding myself having to make some serious compromises with the army, as I understand the army of say Gonzalo de Cordoba's forces and how they would have operated. Swordpoint, which after reading through several times are well suited to Ancient, Early Medieval (so called Dark Ages and Feudal) but seem to fall flat when entering the era of gunpowder and the Italian Wars. Maybe it is just down to the general nature of the Medieval army lists? The lists do not at all reflect how the Spanish Colunela's fought during the wars. Maybe this will change with a supplement in the future(?) but for now I'm left with a hodgepodge of a list with large units of Arquebusiers; six bases compared to eight to twelve of pike! Including two twelve base pike units, which would feel about right, would eat up much of the points for the army! According to the lists you cannot combine the Roderleros or Arquebusiers with the pike blocks, which for me takes away the whole ethos of just how the Spanish fought in Italy after having learned much after the hastily fought the Battle of Seminara 1503. Still, I'm not really one for overly competitive games so even if I leave holding the wooden spoon I will be happy having at long last actually rolled some dice in anger.

I have designed the basing so that the units can be used with a variety of rules as my days of rebasing armies are absolutely over with.

That is the first unit finished but it will be a while before the miniatures are based as they have all been varnished at different times which leaves me with another varnishing queue.

Offline Tonhel

• Mad Scientist
Amazing! :-*

Offline bigredbat

• Mad Scientist
    • BigRedBatCave
I really like those, the muted colours are great. And that white shirt, looks like it's just back from the dry cleaners!

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Very nice indeed.  I reconise a couple as TAG figures but not all. Have you done some head swaps or used different manufacturors?

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Oops..... I'd blame the gremlins but alas, it was me double posting  :-[
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 10:48:53 AM by Atheling »

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Amazing! :-*

Cheers Tonhel :)

I really like those, the muted colours are great. And that white shirt, looks like it's just back from the dry cleaners!

lol lol I know right?! Methinks I got a little carried away with the highlights  lol

Very nice indeed.  I reconise a couple as TAG figures but not all. Have you done some head swaps or used different manufacturors?

Yeah, they're all TAG and I haven't altered any as of yet Hu Rhu. I keep wanting to do the odd head swap but keep chickening out- I have a finite time to get the bones of the army completed as it's for a Swordpoint weekend in September. I don't know if I'm going to finish it as things stand now but certainly afterwards, there will be more conversion/headswaps. I've got a great idea for a vignette but I'm desperately trying not to get distracted  o_o

Offline Doom Beard 78

• Scientist
excellent work, rich colours but you have managed to convey a sense of grim determination and stoic resolve in the forces of el gran capitan.