Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:04:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Koyote's SAGA Moors & Mutatawwi'a  (Read 39738 times)

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
Re: Koyote's SAGA Moors
« Reply #165 on: March 21, 2021, 07:00:40 AM »
Thanks, everyone.

I did a bit more work on my 4-pack warrior "drum crew". 

I added the crescent moon banner standard topper to the banner pole, replaced the drummer's head (for the second time), and swapped out the Artizan Designs swordsman for the Gripping Beast's Mutatawwi'a Warlord on Foot. 

I really like the warlord model, and I REALLY want to incorporate the mini into my warband, but I don't need a foot warlord.  The plan is to paint him with a grey or white beard.  He'll be either an honored veteran who has seen too many summers to serve in the front lines, or an old warrior imam who accompanies the warband.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 07:09:17 AM by Koyote »

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #166 on: March 21, 2021, 08:49:08 AM »
Your work is just amazing
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline Chimpfoot

• Mad Scientist
  • Life is a daring adventure or nothing at all
    • chimpfoots tavern
« Reply #167 on: March 21, 2021, 10:49:17 PM »
Such smooth paint jobs
Love your style 👍🏼
chimpfoots-tavern.blogspot.com

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #168 on: March 22, 2021, 10:48:12 PM »
Clever generals (which I am not) use mercenaries to exploit a certain rule or compensate for a warband's particular weakness.  I enjoy using mercenaries, mostly for the modeling, painting, and thematic opportunities.

Below is a unit of Sailors for my Moors warband.  I used Perry Miniatures' Afghan Tribesmen kit to make them.  Their garb and head coverings identify them as Muslims, but differs enough from the other models in the warband to clearly indicate that they belong to a different group.   And yes, I recognize the irony of using models depicting warriors from a landlocked country as sailors.

I still need to do some greenstuff work on them to fill in gaps.  I am tempted to add an eye patch  to the leader so I can call them pirates.  Argh, matey! 

The kit provides enough pieces to make 36 models, so I have plenty left over.  I will likely assemble another group equipped with javelins to serve as a unit of Borderers for my Mutatawwi'a warband.

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #169 on: March 23, 2021, 01:12:27 AM »
I think the quality and variety your unique units show will distract your opponents to no end.  lol
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #170 on: March 23, 2021, 08:17:29 AM »
I do like the versatility of the Afghan kits out recently.

An eyepatch for the leader sounds good!
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #171 on: March 23, 2021, 09:39:50 AM »
Clever generals (which I am not) use mercenaries to exploit a certain rule or compensate for a warband's particular weakness.  I enjoy using mercenaries, mostly for the modeling, painting, and thematic opportunities.

Below is a unit of Sailors for my Moors warband.  I used Perry Miniatures' Afghan Tribesmen kit to make them.  Their garb and head coverings identify them as Muslims, but differs enough from the other models in the warband to clearly indicate that they belong to a different group.   And yes, I recognize the irony of using models depicting warriors from a landlocked country as sailors.

I still need to do some greenstuff work on them to fill in gaps.  I am tempted to add an eye patch  to the leader so I can call them pirates.  Argh, matey! 

I thnk Brother Vinni's miniatures has a a few Moorish corsair figures in their range if you asre looking for something a little different. Link: http://www.brother-vinni.com/shop.htm#!/Arabic-Corsairs/p/26525694/category=6199065

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #172 on: March 23, 2021, 03:24:35 PM »
I thnk Brother Vinni's miniatures has a a few Moorish corsair figures in their range if you asre looking for something a little different. Link: http://www.brother-vinni.com/shop.htm#!/Arabic-Corsairs/p/26525694/category=6199065
Thanks.  I had considered using Vinni's wonderful corsair models, but sadly their aren't enough of them to field an 8 man unit with including duplicate models.

I did, however, purchase the the 3-pack of Arabia Corsairs for use in other projects.  The pose of one particular model and the position of its legs makes it a great candidate of an Age of  Magic paladin mounted on a magic carpet.  Once I get the model assembled, I will post it in my Age of Magic thread in the Fantasy Adventures section of the Lead Adventure forum.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 03:26:16 PM by Koyote »

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #173 on: March 25, 2021, 03:37:48 PM »
Last night, I took a break from painting to do some work on my first camel cav model.   Using a pair of snips and hobby knives, I cut away the saddle and enlarged the hollow under one the of the Gripping Beast Mutatawwi'a camel riders, so that it will better fit on the Irregular Miniatures camel.  Cutting away that much white metal from the recess with a hobby knife takes a considerable amount of effort and time ( I may have to invest in an electric dremel).  After narrowing the top of the IR camel's hump a bit, I was able to fit the GB rider and IR camel together quite nicely.

My warband needs baggage models (see p.17 of the Book of Battles), so I've begun the process of designing and purchasing the pieces for each vignette.

The first baggage model will highlight the Almoravid's use of drums.   When shopping for camels, I noticed the Perry Miniatures sells a Arab drummer mounted on a camel so of course I had to purchase the model.  My Perry order arrive yesterday and I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the casts.  After my bad experience with the Perry Bedouin cavalry (likely the result of worn out molds), I was quite happy to see how cleanly cast and sharp the Arab musicians set (MA17) turned out.  I am also quite happy with the size and proportions of the Perry camel.

Below is a WIP and size comparison photo.  The center left model is the GB rider and IR camel that I worked on.  The center right model is the Perry camel drummer.  The model on the far right is the GB rider on its original GB camel (with its ridiculously small head).

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #174 on: March 27, 2021, 10:46:53 PM »
I finished painting the 4 reinforcements that I will need to field my two units of melee warriors as two units of 10-packs, each with a drummer.

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #175 on: March 27, 2021, 10:52:29 PM »
Excellent work and I really love the shields! :-* :-*
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #176 on: March 27, 2021, 11:00:33 PM »
Instructive and beautiful stuff. Making me think of a Muslim force of some kind.

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #177 on: March 27, 2021, 11:04:38 PM »
I like those Afghan-based models above! i have been thinking about that myself as they are much nicer than any medieval Arabic forces out there.

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #178 on: March 28, 2021, 01:02:03 AM »
Excellent work and I really love the shields! :-* :-*
The shields are not the shields that come with the plastic Gripping Beast kit. They are made by Footsore Miniatures.  I like the look of this design, and using shields that differ from the GB kit is one of the many little ways I've added my own touch to these models.

The shield designs are LBM transfers, so I can’t take much credit for them.

The LBM transfer used on the leftmost model was originally all tan in color with faded script. I added the black portions and carefully traced over the script with thin black paint to make the script more bold.

The black portion of LBM transfer used on the center-right model originally had a dark purple hue, so I carefully painted around the white script with black paint in order to darken the black band.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 01:13:36 AM by Koyote »

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #179 on: March 28, 2021, 05:33:34 AM »
Great work as usual, loving them!