Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:10:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686614
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Daftest Africa - Pulp Alley ordered!  (Read 62628 times)

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Daftest Africa!
« Reply #450 on: July 30, 2022, 12:38:54 PM »
Struggling to find the mojo today but one male lion.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #451 on: July 30, 2022, 01:29:59 PM »
Struggling to find the mojo today but one male lion.

Take pride in your work David.  lol

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
« Reply #452 on: July 30, 2022, 02:46:36 PM »
Lovely Kitty.

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #453 on: July 30, 2022, 02:46:48 PM »
Looks good!

Mike Demana

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #454 on: July 30, 2022, 03:23:22 PM »
Nice - and curious that you use the term 'mojo' in this context since it originates 'out of Africa'.   o_o

Now, having recently seen a pair of lions leaping into the air after some prey, I have profound respect for keeping out of the way of lions.  San Diego Wild Animal Park has a male and female pair (and I was able to get the male to roar by chuffing at him) that has one part of the enclosure that has a bit of a roof over it.  Both were lying lazily in that area, the male in one corner and the female in another when a pair of mallard ducks flew in.  I got just a flash of the male but I got a full view of the female lion leaping full into the air, at least five and maybe ten feet for the front paws, clawing at the female duck which she didn't bring down but, wow, the muscles and power in that leap were something to see.  And then the noise from the crowd brought my attention back to the male lion - who did catch the male duck and had it in his mouth not quite yet dead.  Quite the moment when the female lion saw his catch and came over and looked him straight in the eye.  Being a captive lion, he didn't seem to know what to do now that he'd got the bird.  Pretty awesome display of the power of a top predator.  Your lion's pose reminds me of that moment.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2022, 05:07:12 PM by FifteensAway »

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #455 on: July 30, 2022, 03:46:26 PM »
What I take from that is….ducks are stupid! 🤔

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #456 on: July 30, 2022, 03:48:43 PM »
Nice lion there, Digits!  Did you paint him up before or after your Panzer Lehr?  :D
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
« Reply #457 on: July 30, 2022, 07:11:30 PM »
What I take from that is….ducks are stupid! 🤔

lol lol lol lol lol

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #458 on: August 01, 2022, 05:08:14 PM »
I rather thought the takeaway should be "ducks are dinner".   ;)

Offline Ash

• Mastermind
    • Ashley Straw.com
« Reply #459 on: August 27, 2022, 06:14:25 PM »
Well, I just realised that clicking on 'show replies to your posts' (top left main forum page), actually show all the posts you've replied to, who knew (probably everyone but me).

So I just had the treat of finding about 15 new pages of this thread. Fantastic stuff, as always.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #460 on: December 08, 2022, 03:43:02 AM »
Sadly, on visiting the park again in late September, I found out that both of the lions seen earlier in the year had died, both being quite aged lions.  Which just says to me just how powerful a lion in its prime must be.  The new lions are three sisters - and all I saw them do is sleep.

Wondering when the right butterfly returns to Digits' shoulder and whispers him back to this thread?!

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #461 on: December 17, 2022, 04:32:59 PM »
Eating raw duck is clearly not agreeable with them!

Fear not fella, I have quite a collection of animals and figures to paint up soon enough…..plus a heap of resin to get though.      Once I’ve made my rivers (my big task over the next few months) I will be itching to get this stuff on the table….

I also bought a huge bag of bark so those kopje I intended to do are on the cards.    I will be using some of it to build escarpments either side of a river section to form a ravine, over with I will be fixing the rope bridge I made earlier, so lots of scenery in the offing.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2022, 04:39:01 PM by Digits »

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #462 on: December 18, 2022, 05:05:28 AM »
Digits, glad to hear of your pending plans.  Perhaps, if that butterfly thing doesn't attack me in the meantime, we might have "dueling threads" about the time you will be back at it.  I am nearing finishing up my second batch of natives, just need to texture the last of the bases and then add tufts and seal coat - this is the mirror image of the first batch.  Have the third, and much smaller batch, on the painting table lately along with a herd of quagga (yes, I said quagga).  And I've purchased figures I will be using for my own Daftu tribe using, mostly, the old Black Hat Martian askaris - just because they give a different look, will have to file down the ears or somehow modify a bit.  Yeah, I know, Daftest is Africa is your thing but I did float the idea of the Daftu tribe so I have a pretty good claim to it.  You can still create your own if the mood strikes!  ;)

Also making solid progress on the zoological front: table ready are the elephants, giraffes, okapis, vervet monkeys, Cape buffalo, and about a third of the ostriches.  The wildebeest are part way through getting bases textured and then on to the tufts but fully painted, by far the largest herd.  Then the quagga as mentioned and then the zebras up next.  Still LOTS more critters to paint, most primed and ready.  Biggest potential 'intended' delay will be if I add substantial numbers of animals if a certain company releases hoped for additional species!  Fingers, toes, and anything else crossable duly crossed. 

And many, many more people to paint up, again, mostly - but by no means entirely - already primed.  And, ack, waiting to pull the trigger to order some more, especially the newly released pulp figures from Khurasan miniatures.  But that means I have to find myself a proper tramp steamer - or build one.

Somewhere in all that figure painting I have to find time to do my own terrain work, umbrella acacia, some jungle, kopjes and the like.  And paint up a town and a bunch of river boats.  Thankfully, I have all of the materials, just need to get into gear on it all - like into overdrive.

I wonder where I can send the wife on an extended vacation after she retires at the end of this year to get her out of my hair for a while so I can really make some progress!  Oh, wait, she'll insist I go along.  Dang.   lol
« Last Edit: December 18, 2022, 05:09:30 AM by FifteensAway »

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Daftest Africa! (+ Piddle in the Sands!)
« Reply #463 on: April 14, 2023, 02:17:35 PM »
Good to hear!

Right, seeing as my WW2 North Africa project is fast going sideways, I need to start divorcing the more Pulpier stuff from it and as it’s still “Africa” this is the obvious place to put it.  Hence forth this aspect being “The Piddle in the Sands!”

I just painted the rope bridge I made earlier in this thread……here with Indiana Jones traversing it….

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Re: Daftest Africa! (+ Piddle in the Sands!)
« Reply #464 on: April 14, 2023, 02:27:54 PM »
Delighted to see an addition by you to this thread.  And with the Piddle in the Sands name I recommend you drink A LOT!!! of extra tea to keep showing us more.   lol

Nice work on the rope bridge.  And on Indy, too.

I'm afraid by project has gone its own sideways while I foray into a bit of Star Wars building and AWI painting.  But I am itching to get back to it.

Hoping to see more here soon.