Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:26:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Ogrob's fantasy projects - We need axes 17/3  (Read 128680 times)

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Ogrob's fantasy projects - Kitbashed Oathmark soldiers 23/1
« Reply #315 on: January 24, 2021, 08:49:14 AM »
You’ve done a great job of kit bashing those mate, and they look great as a unit.

:)

I’m still a little undecided personally over the FF Northerners sprues...was playing about with a box of them yesterday. 

I should be buying them by the truck load, but they are quite wide and squat compared to the FF Medievals, more so than the Frostgrave - the weapon arms are getting some use for my next set of kitbashes, but I’m torn over the bodies...if I was starting from scratch I’d use them for my Stark forces, but I’m happy with my existing Perry’s.  :?

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #316 on: January 24, 2021, 10:27:12 AM »
Thanks guys!

They are definitely big compared to Perry. I would not put Perry bodies and Fireforge Northmen in the same force, but as Knight-Captain Tyr has shown us you can use Perry bits on Northmen bodies. Oathmark bits work pretty well on them as they have more suitable proportions. If you go back in this thread you can see that I mixed Fireforge and Oathmark bodies in another unit. I've also previously mixed in Frostgrave barbarians and now Demons and Knights as they too are a bit on the chunkier side of 28mm.

The reason I put mostly Victrix weapons on my soliders in the project is that I feel Oathmark and Fireforge swords are too chunky. I prefer the more realistic look of Victrix swords. For Spears I settled on Fireforge, as they are a good balance between sturdy and real looking. Victrix make their spears super thin and fragile.

After posting the photos I went back and added some more detailing to the soldiers, a variety of pouches, daggers, side axes and such. Will show these off once painted.

Offline Knight-Captain Tyr

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
Re: Ogrob's fantasy projects - More heavy warriors 11/1
« Reply #317 on: January 24, 2021, 02:02:46 PM »
Just a small update for today, as I've mostly spend the weekend working on terrain. The Linebreakers needed a standard bearer but I was short on flags. As the other units in the army have sculpted flags I wanted the same here and ended up doing a flag in greenstuff. I draped it hanging down and attached a little chain and skull bit I found in the box. May go back and add something were the chain attaches to the pole. The mini itself is a Frostgrave knight body and head with arms from Frostgrave demons, a Victrix viking sword and a lance/banner pole from Fireforge.

What do you think?

Have to give you enormous credit for this one - this made me sit up in my chair and go 'wow'. The head, the fur (is that hand sculpted or a texture plate?) and the detail on the flag are all spot on. And the flag itself as others have said is a banger.

You really have stepped it up on this force lately - I wish I had a crowd near me as keen on kitbashing as converting as you are, it'd make for an amazing spectacle to face. Keep it up fella.
" ... the seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."

-Thrall Flavor Text, Myth: The Fallen Lords

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #318 on: January 24, 2021, 02:46:57 PM »
Have to give you enormous credit for this one - this made me sit up in my chair and go 'wow'. The head, the fur (is that hand sculpted or a texture plate?) and the detail on the flag are all spot on. And the flag itself as others have said is a banger.

You really have stepped it up on this force lately - I wish I had a crowd near me as keen on kitbashing as converting as you are, it'd make for an amazing spectacle to face. Keep it up fella.

Thank you! The fur is hand sculpted with my usual method, sometimes it turns out better and sometimes a little rougher. I make triangles in a pattern that kind of radiates out from the neck of the figure, and then add some light stripes to simulate fur strands.

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #319 on: January 24, 2021, 05:36:31 PM »
Thank you! The fur is hand sculpted with my usual method, sometimes it turns out better and sometimes a little rougher. I make triangles in a pattern that kind of radiates out from the neck of the figure, and then add some light stripes to simulate fur strands.

Your GS work has really improved then. That fur looks professional, to me!

Offline BZ

• Mad Scientist
  • https://oathgrave.blogspot.com/
    • Oathgrave
« Reply #320 on: January 24, 2021, 09:13:28 PM »
Nice! How do you flatten green stuff so evenly thin?

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #321 on: January 24, 2021, 09:32:31 PM »
Nice! How do you flatten green stuff so evenly thin?

Flatten with fingers first, then work it on a smooth wetted surface. I had some mdf lying around that works ok, unless you get it too wet and water soaks into it. Any thick plastic would work as well. You need to smooth the greenstuff with your fingers against the wet surface, then flip it over and work it some more. Use a wet knife to cut edges and then drape. Any remaining fingerprints can be smoothed with a needle file after curing.

Offline BZ

• Mad Scientist
  • https://oathgrave.blogspot.com/
    • Oathgrave
« Reply #322 on: January 24, 2021, 09:50:15 PM »
Thanks!

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #323 on: January 25, 2021, 11:21:12 AM »
Getting some painting done too, not just kitbashing. Got to take advantage of working from home and pick up the brushes now and then.

Here are the five new Heavy Cavalry I built to bring my unit up to a full 10 for Oathmark. Fireforge Northmen with Perry arms and head from the Teuton Knights set. Three of the cloaks are plastic, and two are greenstuff. Fur is greenstuff. I added the cloaks halfway through painting to make sure I could get paint in the visible but hard to reach areas.

And here is what they look like all together:

What do you think?

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Re: Ogrob's fantasy projects - Heavy Cavalry for Oathmark 25/1
« Reply #324 on: January 25, 2021, 11:33:40 AM »
They look great! The GS cloaks have turned out really nicely too, having them actually drape over the horses is a nice touch!

Keep up the great work!

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #325 on: January 25, 2021, 03:23:09 PM »
they look brilliant  :-*

Offline Astor

• Librarian
« Reply #326 on: January 25, 2021, 04:40:31 PM »
Great kitbashing and painting on the Cavalry - there's some really characterful (and mean!) figures there!

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #327 on: January 25, 2021, 09:23:09 PM »
Look great mate, those sigils work really well  :)

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #328 on: January 26, 2021, 08:19:46 AM »
Thanks guys! Glad you like the shields. I have to add the design to my banners as well, but I keep angsting over getting it to look good.

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #329 on: January 26, 2021, 08:02:57 PM »
They look fantastic. The heraldry is bang on and the bigger profile the cloaks + fur give each miniature put the Teutonic helm decorations into better scale. They look really intimidating now, just as they ought to.