Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 12:06:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689750
  • Total Topics: 118293
  • Online Today: 632
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Diablo Jon does Darkest Africa - now with my first Swahili buildings  (Read 68727 times)

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
Ok I don't post very often around here I just lurk and enjoy all the amazing stuff other people do. Having started a new project for Darkest Africa, in the last few months, I thought I'd start a thread and share my efforts.

Recently I’ve been attempting to get a Darkest Africa project off the ground (this is my third attempt at Darkest Africa having had two attempts before that eventually just fizzled out). I love the Foundry, Copplestone  and more recently North Star ranges for 19th century Africa and so determined to get some these lovely minis and build some interesting armies out of them.

Armed with my old copies of Chris Peers “In the Heart of Africa” rules and a number of books and old Wargames illustrated articles (mostly written by Chris Peers as well) I decided to plump for some armies based on the area that became the British Central Africa Protectorate and then later became Nyasaland.

At the moment I plan to do armies for the Ngoni, The North End Arabs (mostly Africans converted to Islam rather than true Arabs) who raided the local tribes for slaves and ivory and The British African Lakes Company who fought a war with the North End Arabs using a collection of local auxiliaries and European adventurers.

First up though I figured I needed some scenery to try and portray the dark continent including trying my hand at a teddy bear fur gaming mat. So my next few posts will be showing of my scenery making efforts and then hopefully onto some new miniature armies.

For my new project I decided I wanted to try out the teddy bear fur gaming mat. I’ve seen some amazing table set ups using this method and wanted to try it out for myself.

As a child growing up on Tarzan movies I probably have a very Hollywood idea of Africa. In my head its all jungles, deserts and areas of long grass all covered in more zebras, wildebeest and Chimpanzees than you can count. A quick google search however brought up a lot of pictures of areas that wouldn’t have looked out of place in rural Hampshire and brought home just how diverse the terrain is. In the end I decided to plump with my Hollywood imagination version of Africa. So first up I wanted a long grassed savannah in the dry season.

Now there are quite a few good tutorials on the net about making fur mats a quick google search will bring up plenty of useful info on how to get started.

I bought my fur off eBay a piece big enough to cover my wargames table cost me around £40. The stuff I bought was called lions mane fur in hindsight, though the golden brown colour was perfect for my purposes, the hair was very long and a shorter hair might have been better and saved me a lot of wrist ache with a pair of scissors. Anyway armed with scissors, combs and a cheap hair trimmer from Argos I set about cutting the fur at different lengths and cleared some areas back to the material backing to create a dried stream bed, track and two clearings for villages, jungle and such like. After several evenings where I started to feel more like a hairdresser than a gamer I was ready for stage two.

Stage two was to cover the cleared areas in cheap brown flexible (very important on a cloth mat) caulk purchased from Poundland and then added some grit and stones to the caulk before it dried. After painting the caulked areas I was left with this

Next up was paint the fur I used a whole load of craft and house paints in a variety of browns, greens, yellows and creams. It was a fair amount of work, over several evenings, working the paint into the fur, with a large brush, and then combing through the fur with cheap plastic combs trying to blend all the colours into each other. Once the main colours where dry it was a case of going back over and dry brushing secondary colours.

After the painting I tried to blend in the fur and caulked areas with extra static grass, grass tufts, and sponge shrubbery. After that I was left with this

I have to say for a first attempt I was pretty chuffed with how it turned out and I think it looks pretty good. in hindsight I probably should have cut the fur a bit lower to facilitate placing items on top of the mat. I deliberately made the mat a bit bigger than my gaming table so I could make raised ground and hills out of that old school method of placing some books under the mat which looks like this.

and one shot with some miniatures on the mat (and a bit of my finger..)

So having got my base mat the next job is to build some scenery to go on the mat.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2024, 06:22:57 AM by Diablo Jon »

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Diablo Jon does Darkest Africa
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2019, 07:04:07 AM »
Good start! That looks amazing! :-*

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2019, 09:03:33 AM »
Good start! That looks amazing! :-*

Agreed. It looks fab  8) 8) 8)

Offline Mike1879

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2019, 09:39:01 AM »
That’s excellent well done, looking forward to seeing how this progresses.

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2019, 10:39:26 AM »
Very nice indeed; the dried up stream bed is a great idea

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2019, 04:04:37 PM »
Another topic that needs to be classified as "this is a must to follow". Looking forward to seeing it progress. Looks great so far.

Doug

Offline Calumma

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2019, 05:02:25 PM »
Looks excellent!

Offline joekano

• Mastermind
    • My blog: Major Thomas Foolery
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2019, 06:23:33 PM »
Well, I'm envious!  That looks fantastic and full of character for your adventures
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here, this is the war room." -President Merkin Muffley
http://majorthomasfoolery.blogspot.com/

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2019, 06:37:30 PM »
My word, that is gorgeous! I’ve never seen this done but that looks the bees knees!

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2019, 06:48:21 PM »
Great start :-* :-* :-*
Looking forward to your  progress

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2019, 07:21:59 PM »
Great work on the mat, looking forward to seeing what is next

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2019, 11:43:21 PM »
Thanks for the nice comments guys I thought that mat had turned out quite well so its nice to now others think so.

Having got my gaming mat sorted my thoughts turned to that most African of scenery Jungle. A bit of googling showed that African jungle superficially, at least, looks a lot like deciduous forest everywhere else with the occasional clump of palm trees or tree ferns poking out of the foliage.

Another Google search for wargaming jungle terrain made it pretty clear the go to method for jungle scenery was plastic aquarium plants. Now I should probably mention my day job is being a horticulturalist (ok I’m a gardener) and while I actually spend my working life cutting lawns, trimming box hedges and weeding flower beds in darkest Hampshire I like to pretend I know a thing or two about tropical plants. In particular the scale of aquarium plants bothered me many of them have leaves that dwarf our little miniature men which isn’t right to my eyes.

Weirdly though despite the oversized leaves some of the examples online looked really good. In the end I decided the overall look is more important. If things aren’t quite right I can live with it if it looks cool. If Hollywood can live with sticking Fatsia Japonica and Monstera Deliciosa in Tarzan’s jungle then I can live with a few oversized leaves.

My next task was to hit eBay for cheap plastic palm trees, aquarium plants, cheap nasty deciduous trees and some MDF laser cut scatter terrain bases. Despite indicating to eBay that I wanted uk sellers only literally all my plastic trees and foliage ended up coming from China.

Most of the trees where nasty looking things  but after a clean up and hitting them up with some green spray paint they scrubbed up ok. For the bigger trees I drilled holes in my MDF bases and then attached them with my trusty hot glue gun. Then I covered the bases with sand and PVA and painted them brown. Once the bases were dried I filled in the gaps between the trees with as many aquarium plants I could cram on to each base and when I was finished this is what I was left with.

I’m pretty pleased with how they turned out and I now have nine pieces of jungle scatter terrain. I’ve also got plenty of extras left over if I want to build some more jungle terrain at a latter date.

I’ll leave this post with some mood shots of my jungle pieces on my new gaming mat.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Re: Diablo Jon does Darkest Africa - now with added jungle
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2019, 01:38:13 AM »
You, sir, have a proper understanding of riparian growth patterns - and being a gardener that makes sense.  Like the jungles but I'd go light on the palms - though they certainly are there.  I guess depends on where you want your jungle to be.

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2019, 04:10:01 AM »
Great looking table.
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2019, 06:04:11 AM »
Perfect looking jungle! When its placed directly on the teddy bear fur it looks realistic! :o