Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 11:00:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689346
  • Total Topics: 118275
  • Online Today: 648
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: My isolated solo adventure into Frostgrave  (Read 6840 times)

Offline gmanrocks

• Mad Scientist
My isolated solo adventure into Frostgrave
« on: April 08, 2020, 04:09:09 PM »
Like many people, I'm locked down and turning to solo games for a bit of fun. I usually play Frostgrave PvP, so this is all new to me. I thought I'd give Elementalist a go as I'm usually an Enchanter or Necromancer.

First turn saw the crossbowman make one hell of a shot through terrain. With his recently buffed arrow, it tore a hole in the Monstrosity.

The Monstrosity slivered over the terrain and seized the initiative, but my wizard wasn't tolerating anything and skewered the creature.

With the lab empty, the party navigated the terrain.

To get things going, the crossbowman was catapulted towards treasure with Leap.

Heading closer to the rat hatch but nothing appeared. The Treasure Hunter tried the door, but it was a dead end.

The Crossbowman and Wizard got out of there with the bulk of the loot.

Shortly followed by the Treasure Hunter.

Pretty uneventful as my crossbowman got lucky with a thunderous shot after being buffed in their first turn, then to top it off the Alchemical Monstrosity charged my wizard only to get shanked up.

With no rats appearing, it was a pretty gentle start for my new crew...It won't last!

Time to roll up my goodies and move onto the next scenario!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 10:10:20 AM by gmanrocks »

Offline Swordisdrawn

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
  • '
    • Sword is Drawn
Re: My isolated solo adventure into Frostgrave
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2020, 04:37:24 PM »
Excellent
'The night is gone and the sword is drawn and the scabbard thrown away!'

Instagram Swordisdrawn264

Offline GDonk

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2020, 04:39:17 PM »
Great stuff.  As I'm about to transmute from "working from home" to "voluntary sabbatical" status, I may have a bit of time on my hands and might finally get around to playing some games, which will (obviously) be solo.  I have many un-played rulesets but Frostgrave is definitely near the top of the list although it might all turn out as a bit of a hybrid with the magic elements mixed in with a pulpy post-apocalyptic theme.
I look forward to seeing more, all the best and stay safe, GDonk

Offline gmanrocks

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2020, 04:10:38 PM »
Thanks folks. Hope everyone is staying safe. Second game in for my solo run. After not getting much of use in the Alchemical Monstrosity, it was onto Skeletal Run.

Didn't do too badly, although my Infantryman's out for the campaign and Treasure Hunter had to limp out.

The wizard proved fair useless, only netting 3 spells. At least he did more damage to himself than the skeletons did.

The board was set. Maze like ruins, but enough gaps for the Burning Skeletons to see the warband.

First turn saw the board beginning to flood with the undead.

With a well aimed arrow and elemental bolt, they were soon taken care of.

Giving the Treasure Hunter time to grab the first loot.

To slow down any sneaky undead from behind, the wizard summoned an zombie.

The warband advanced grabbing the second bit of loot.

But standing up on the well allowed the roaming skeletons to see her.

After a bit of scrapping, everyone moved up. The Treasure Hunter spied some loot off in the distance, only to be rushed by a newly arrived skeleton that started to tear her to pieces.

Seeing this, the Infantryman charged in to help, cleaving the skeleton to pieces.

Giving the Treasure Hunter the chance to grab some more loot.

Looks like it was the home stretch from here with the Archer and Treasure Hunter escaping.

Only to have a skeleton arrive right next to the Infantryman, taking him right out.

Deciding it's best to run, the wizard did just that. Probably best not to get revenge for such a lowly grunt.

I'll see what the fate of my Infantryman is before the next game, but with one of my better fighters out, I may be relying on one of my Thugs in my next game.

I should probably name my Wizard, but given his shocking performance today, I'm not sure he deserves one.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 10:12:45 AM by gmanrocks »

Offline GDonk

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2020, 04:19:28 PM »
continuing to watch and enjoy. Cheers

Offline Stecal

• Scientist
    • Pictures of my minis
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2020, 07:15:12 PM »
great looking games.  Your table top is just vinyl floor tiles?  Brilliant!
Clear the battlefield and let me see
All the profit from our victory.

Offline gmanrocks

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2020, 04:50:04 PM »
continuing to watch and enjoy. Cheers

Glad you're enjoying it :)

great looking games.  Your table top is just vinyl floor tiles?  Brilliant!

Yep, just vinyl flooring. Cheap as chips but it does the job. Plus they're modular, so I can set them up in a range of set ups.

Today I finished off Dark Alchemy. Having my apprentice back made a huge difference, especially after losing my Infantryman last game.

Some conservative playing kept me safe, and I managed to scarper with the Treasure on turn 8. My apprentice was battered!

The rules doesn't state that Flame Flingers cant leave the board, so I got lucky early disappearance of one if them. They hit like a tonne of bricks!

The board was set. The alchemical lab has become overgrown with trees.

My warband snuck round to one side while my archer drew the attention of a Flame Flinger. Sadly missing with his shot.

With a enhanced arrow the archer took the Flame Flinger down to one health, and luckily missed its attack.

Ducking for cover from the oncoming construct, my wizard finished off the wounded Flame Flinger.

While heading for treasure, my apprentice got baked to a crisp, leaving him with only two wounds. He did blast back, giving as good as he took.

All the commotion drew the attention of the other Flame Flinger after my archer ran for treasure.

With the wizard taking care of the wounded Flame Flinger, my apprentice made for Treasure, using Leap to get up into the ruins.

With most of the warband out of danger and with the bulk of the loot, they made their way out of there

Having hidden and lured the remaining Flame Flinger away, my wizard double backed to grab the last treasure.

And got out of there while literally hot pursuit.

I didn't grab much of use. A couple of grimoires with spells I didn't really want, and only a small amount of, but hey ho. With 7 spells successfully cast, it pushed my level to 5.

I think I got lucky with some of the Flame Flinger rolls. They couldn't hit my archer for toffee, although did manage to fry my apprentice pretty good.

On to Perilous Dark!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 01:04:57 PM by gmanrocks »

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2020, 06:32:58 AM »
A great looking table and fun reports. Thanks for sharing.

Offline LiamFrostfang

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2020, 10:51:09 AM »
 8) way cool!!!

Offline gmanrocks

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2020, 01:29:02 PM »
Thanks folks :)

I decided on a little house rule for my solo campaign. If I want to hire a Captain, I have to see if one survives the Alone in the Crypt solo scenario.

Sadly it's not to be this time as this unlucky captain doesn't make it out alive.

I did totally forget about the arrows so next time I'll play smarter!

The crypt is set up.

The captain grabs himself some gold and XP while the skeletons move in

The door is locked as the skeletons jump on the captain

He easily takes them out but another appears in the distance.

It soon catches up with the captain as he tries the next door, gutting him leaving the captain with 2 health before being destroyed.

The next door is locked too while a couple of zombies arrive.

The captain makes a ring for it, taking one zombie out with an arrow, only to be cornered and finished off... better luck next time!

Oh well. No Captain for me just yet!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 05:03:21 PM by gmanrocks »

Offline Ramirez Noname

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2020, 08:12:50 PM »
Great looking games and I'm enjoying your ongoing campaign - I'm sure a captain will be aavailable soon to join your Warband  :)

RMZ

Offline gmanrocks

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2020, 04:49:23 PM »
Thanks RMZ.

Next scenario in my solo run, The Slippery Slope. My team got butchered! Only my wizard and Barbarian escaping and zero treasure grabbed.

I found it really difficult to navigate the slope with most of my warband getting taken out by failed rolls.

Luckily my warband pretty much recovered, but I'm not going to be rushing out to retry that one.

The boards set. The centre being the slope. Skeletons coming in from behind and troglodytes coming in from the front.

The warband make their way to the slope while a raised zombie takes out a skeleton.

One skeleton butchers a thug to one health but is taken out by the thief while the archer and crossbowman take out the others.

The troglodytes advance.

The newly hired barbarian takes out troglodyte but the slope takes its toll on the war hound and treasure hunter.

The thief gets caught by some sneaky skeletons. Takes the first out and then draws with the next taking them both out of the game.

The warband doesn't make much ground. Not only do failing the slope movement checks mean that I'm not advancing, but in now starting to lose party members.

The crossbowman is taken out in combat while the Infantryman slips and is taken out.

On his own, the apprentice is quickly ganged up on and removed from the game.

Making a little ground, the warband scrambles up the slope. With a door in sight, my wizard and barbarian make a getaway.

The treasure hunter slips down the slope before being ganged up and taken out.

It's not long before the archer is ganged up on and taken out.

Well that didn't got to plan but at least I had no lasting damage. I have to admit, I didn't enjoy that scenario. I know I had some bad luck with the slope tests, but having your minis pushed back and lose health as well was just brutal. On top of that, one of the events I rolled required my warband to roll an even higher slope test, which saw most of my warband lose any ground they'd made. If I do re-run this scenario, I may tweak it, but for now, I'm going to move onto the Writhing Fumes for now.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 05:08:55 PM by gmanrocks »

Offline Admiral Alder

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2020, 08:23:15 AM »
Great looking set up Gmanrocks!

I don't recognise the Slippery Slope scenario, is it from Perilous Dark?

Offline gmanrocks

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2020, 09:56:11 AM »
Great looking set up Gmanrocks!

I don't recognise the Slippery Slope scenario, is it from Perilous Dark?

It was a solo scenario from a magazine (Table Top Magazine or something?). It was released at the same time as Perilous Dark, so uses all the same rules.

Offline gmanrocks

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2020, 03:32:54 PM »
It's been a while since I carried on with my solo campaign. After the butchering I went through on the Slippery Slope I'm back at it with the Writhing Fumes scenario.
It was a tough one that saw a thug dead and a Infantryman badly wounded. My Treasure Hunter, Warhound and Archer went down hut luckily recovered.
At the end of it I came away with a nice wad of xp, a magic shield, imp grimoire and a bit of cash to replace my dead thug. Not too shabby

The set up as my warband skulked through the ruined streets.

Things started out well as my Barbarian, warhound and zombie made short work of the first Vapour Snake.

The first set of reinforcements saw a large and small Vapour Snake arrive.

I decide to split the party to get numbers advance during the close combat brawls.

Sadly my warhound got caught and removed from the game, but he'd recover.

A skirmish in the other side of the table started up.

Which saw everyone but the apprentice taken out.

The wizard and his goons made their way to the door while the apprentice created a wall to hide from the nearby dangers.

Having removed the archer, the thug runs interference while the thief grabs the treasure.

A couple more Vapour Snakes arrive to chase the wizard and apprentice (with treasure) towards the door.

Sadly, my zombie who had been holding off a load of snakes was overwhelmed... He did us proud!

The wizard, Barbarian and crossbowman pried the door open and scarpered...

But not before the spellcasters nuked one of the Ballistas with Elemental Bolt.

The thief followed them with his treasure.

While the remaining thug (the VIP of the latter half of this game) finished off the last Ballista, and skirted around the arriving snakes to make it out of there.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 05:13:30 PM by gmanrocks »