Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:02:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Borgia's "Conquistatori" (added Borgia on "Dragone")  (Read 3987 times)

Offline Katsuhiko JiNNai

• Mastermind
    • My BLOG
Borgia's "Conquistatori" (added Borgia on "Dragone")
« on: May 09, 2020, 02:55:59 PM »
I've ordered some cheap maya buildings (Amera Plastics Pyramid and Hape Mayan Pyramids) and accessories (Scotia Grendel Aztec Ruins) and I'm planning to buy some maya warriors too (probably from Gringo40s), for my SOLO Pulp games (particulary Palaeo Pulp, but Pulp Alley too). I thought about an early alternative history XVI century of italian "Conquistatori" (Italian translation of "Conquistadores") lead by the revenant Cesare Borgia (seeking for a new domain or gold to fund a new campaign in Italy).
During their adventures the "Conquistatori" could met lost world dinosaurs (one captured and tamed by Cesare and used as his mount), Lost Mayan cities (Eldorado) and maybe more. I've seen a nice topic (http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=120265.0) about the colors of the uniforms that is assumed Borgia army used, then I will use crimson/yellow for the paint scheme of the borgia's "Conquistatori" while gold for the armor and mask of the alternative Cesare Borgia.

Here the miniatures I'm planning to use, all from Mirliton, two Dark Elves (as an alternative Cesare Borgia) and some early XVI century reinassance italians:

« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 11:59:03 AM by Katsuhiko JiNNai »

Offline zippyfusenet

• Scientist
Re: Borgia's "Conquistatori"
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2020, 03:57:41 PM »
Interesting mix of the historical, the fantastic and the truly bizarre. For some reason the cavaliero on the dinosaur reminds me of an old song...

Joe Blow from Kokomo riding on a buffalo
You'll shoot your eye out, kid!

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2020, 04:19:54 PM »
Glad to be of help! Louis XII's liveries tend to be a fairly safe bet for any Cesare Borgia forces, though I've also read that Cesare made a few variations as well, such as having the name "CESARE" sewn onto the front and back of the livery as well, if you were feeling ambitious!

I think I remember reading somewhere as well that he also maintained a bodyguard of crossbowmen who had a black livery with the CESARE in silver thread, but I can't for the life of me remember where I read that!

Looking forward to seeing yours painted up

Offline Katsuhiko JiNNai

• Mastermind
    • My BLOG
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2020, 05:16:01 PM »
Initially I was considering the "Assassin's Creed" borgia uniforms paint scheme, but later i decided to investigate about the historical uniforms and I liked the idea of a red/yellow paint scheme ;) I read too something about black velvet uniforms and some with morello (between violet and black) and yellow colors too, but during some early 1500-1501 parades.

I've sent my order to Mirliton, now I must wait to receive confirm, pay and then finally receive it and begin my painting.

I've seen several  portraits of Cesare Borgia and seem that he could have probably light brown hair, then I think I will paint it in that color (vermin brown from citadel)

As yet wrote zippyfusenet, it will be a nice mix of the historical, the fantastic and the truly bizarre. It could fit well in the Warhammer background too. ;)
HappyChappy439, the Borgia flags you used, are your printed work or you bought them from some manufacturer?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 05:29:16 PM by Katsuhiko JiNNai »

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2020, 07:30:48 PM »
HappyChappy439, the Borgia flags you used, are your printed work or you bought them from some manufacturer?

I got them from Pete's Flags on Ebay, there's a sheet of Borgia flags they do:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/28mm-Medieval-Renaissance-Italian-Flags-Borgia/254202038547

Offline Bogdanwaz

• Scientist
    • O My Ruritania
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2020, 09:23:25 PM »
I love the concept!  I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this project.

Offline Katsuhiko JiNNai

• Mastermind
    • My BLOG
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2020, 10:51:52 AM »
While I'm waiting my mirliton miniatures, I've painted a Landsknecht Swordswoman that I bought some time ago. She could be a german mercenary in service of Cesare Borgia. It's yet an alternative history/fantasy background, then a female Landsknecht is not a problem. ;) Then I tried the crimson/yellow paint scheme.

Offline Bogdanwaz

• Scientist
    • O My Ruritania
Re: Borgia's "Conquistatori" (added Landsknecht Swordswoman)
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2020, 11:15:03 AM »
Have you taken a look at Antediluvian Miniatures' fantasy conquistador range?  They have some figures that would fit right into this:

https://antediluvianminiatures.wordpress.com/2019/03/27/shop-conquistadors-of-mictlan/

Offline Katsuhiko JiNNai

• Mastermind
    • My BLOG
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2020, 11:54:35 AM »
Have you taken a look at Antediluvian Miniatures' fantasy conquistador range?  They have some figures that would fit right into this:

https://antediluvianminiatures.wordpress.com/2019/03/27/shop-conquistadors-of-mictlan/

Yes I've yet seen them, quite interesting miniatures. Actually I'm considering which mayan miniatures to buy, the gringo40s seem nice, they are quite ispired by the Apocalypto film, then I suppose they are less historically accurate, and this it could be nice considering that I'm looking for a alternative history pulp/fantasy background. I've some aztec novices that could be nice too. Outpost wargames do a nice range of mayan, but they are really small. I was considering for some Txacala allies or explorers for the Borgia's Conquistatori too.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 12:38:37 PM by Katsuhiko JiNNai »

Offline zippyfusenet

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2020, 11:55:20 AM »
More of a Landsmaid, innit? Fantastic work on that figure. She must have scary shoulders and arms under that blouse.

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2020, 12:40:48 PM »
Very nice painting on the female Landschnekt.  I do think that she will have trouble swinging that big sword round the obvious obstructions.  :D :D

Offline Katsuhiko JiNNai

• Mastermind
    • My BLOG
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2020, 07:45:51 PM »
Thanks, now I'm looking to repaint an alternative "cardinal" I painted some time ago (see picture attached).
It could be a nice addition to the Borgia's Conquistatori. Maybe he could be a renegade priest with necromancer skills (failed "lazarus" spell?)

I've seen that Assault group have some nice Reinassance Undead too.

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2020, 08:55:51 PM »
I quite enjoy the mix of Renaissance style with the pulp and vampire themes.  Looking forward to seeing how your army progresses.

Offline Katsuhiko JiNNai

• Mastermind
    • My BLOG
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2020, 11:51:35 PM »
Here the repainted cardinal:

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Re: Borgia's "Conquistatori" (added Cardinal Borgia)
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2020, 12:13:07 AM »
Great vibrant colours!