Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:26:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A question on Toofatlardies  (Read 926 times)

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
A question on Toofatlardies
« on: July 05, 2020, 09:30:46 PM »
So from my understanding Toofatlardies as a buisness wants to be seen as apolitical, is that correct ?

Its an interesting concept and I get that in theory it smooths over the awkward elements since they focus primarily on historicals and things such as the Confederacy and SS occasionally cause hiccups (especially with certain people whom love them a bit too much).But it rings a tad hollow when they say "Wargaming is a very inclusive, bully free environment" and we then cut to GW having to deal with trolls and racists after they have a Black Space marine on the cover/put out a basic black lives matter statement and have to deal with a self declared FACIST who  was one of the highest followed warhammer Youtube accounts.

Not only that but they've made politicized statements themselves before rendering this ideal a tad moot. I think my question and concern is... does this "Apolitical" stuff actually work for the hobby ? Or is it just a case of "If I ignore it it's not happening" with the inevitable nutter build up to follow ?

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: A question on Toofatlardies
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2020, 09:41:39 PM »
I don't remember them saying anything about politics. I believe they said they want the hobby to be an inclusive, bully free environment; a declaration that stemmed from them taking a stand against a somewhat negative culture amidst a large wargaming forum (one I've never been on so have no opinion in that regard). It caused a brief bit of internet drama on the wargaming social media sphere, I think. Other than that, I haven't seen anything remotely about politics from TFL.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 09:44:53 PM by Gibby »

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2020, 09:52:06 PM »
I don't remember them saying anything about politics. I believe they said they want the hobby to be an inclusive, bully free environment; a declaration that stemmed from them taking a stand against a somewhat negative culture amidst a large wargaming forum (one I've never been on so have no opinion in that regard). It caused a brief bit of internet drama on the wargaming social media sphere, I think. Other than that, I haven't seen anything remotely about politics from TFL.

I'm not reffering to current Infamy based events when I refer to politics, the apolitical commentary is a general statement they've made beforehand. I just point out how it kind of rings hollow to go "We are apolitical and think the hobby is inclusive and nice" whilst GW (realistically a bigger hobby franchise then TFL) have to deal with the actual ramifications of  not ignoring the crazies.

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2020, 09:57:52 PM »
I've taken their statements as being that they want the hobby to be inclusive and nice and they operate with that desire in mind. Probably they don't feel the need to make sweeping declarations. Why should they? Why should any hobby company? If we all make sure we behave in the inclusive and nice manner and only make time for others who do the same then things should stay on a positive course.

Well, I don't know what else to say without breaking the forum's rules (i.e. taking the conversation into politics). This forum is apolitical and also wants the forum to be inclusive and nice, and operates as such with its welcoming nature and enforcement of rules against bigotry and other odious behaviour. Same as TFL, from what I've seen.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 09:59:26 PM by Gibby »

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2020, 10:00:27 PM »
As hinted at, both general politics issues as well as other fora's business are those ruled out by our forum rules.