Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:58:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690921
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 657
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: TooFatLardies 'Sharp Practice' for the F&IW (TEST Game - 40 Images - 5/1/11)  (Read 23404 times)

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Well, seeing the fun that Furt has been having over in  SYW India, I have taken the plunge and bought the pdf of Sharp Practice to try out in SYW north America (aka the F&IW).

I watched the first two explanatory videos on YouTube though the third kept stalling, which was a shame.  (And was that LAF's own Sidney Roundwood providing the opposition?)

At a cursory first glance I like the BIG MEN concept as, alongside the more usual formation control, I think this can be employed for a bit of one-on-one swash-and-buckle.  I'm not keen on the aesthetics of laying out dice on the table to indicate Shock but I think I can make some small boulder markers that'll do the job.

Once thing that isn't clear to me is modifications for Solo Play, though I'm waiting to be accepted into the Yahoo Group which'll hopefully provide an answer.

Does anyone have experience of using Sharp Practice for the F&IW?

Cheers.  :)

EDIT: title change

« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 11:02:41 PM by Silent Invader »
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Re: TooFatLardies 'Sharp Practice' for the F&IW
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 05:14:57 PM »
Coincidentally I have just been re reading the rules to use for my Tex/Mex stuff also inspired by Furt :)

I also watched the podcasts. The third one shows what happens when you put three ten figure units together supported by three big men and move them into close range concentrated fire against a smaller 20 figure group with two big men.
Its short and bloody, the shock is the thing that makes a big difference.

From my limited reading of the rules they look perfect for F&I and there are opportunities for 1 on 1 swashbuckling with the big men.

I am very much looking forward to having a few games. Perhaps we should chat off board in the coming weeks to discuss rules queries that will no doubt creep in.

Or even better meet up for a game :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • www.gallopingmajorwargames.com
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 05:53:35 PM »
Looking forward to seeing how this goes SI  ;)

www.gallopingmajorwargames.com

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 06:15:45 PM »
I like the Napoleonic version so much I have tinkered with the idea of writing a dedicated F&I version to submit to the Lardies. Unfortunately I haven't had the time to pursue it. To be honest though after you play a few games you can easily adapt what is there to suit your needs. I did buy the AWI supplements and they contain some good ideas to flesh out the rules for Indians and various militia types.

Offline fergal

• Mad Scientist
    • Crossover Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 07:42:21 PM »
I have been painting SYW stuff in 6mm for years, but the Lardies finally got me interested in skirmish games.  So I took the plunge and ordered Sharp Practice and loved it.  I live in Vermont, 1.5 miles from the Canadian border, which is prime F&IW territory and thought it would be great to start gaming it.   I finally found the figures that made me want 28mm at the same time (thank you gallopingmajor) so, I'm in lock, stock, and barrel for Sharp Practice F&IW as well.

Keep us posted on any rules mods you may like.  Indians are unnecessarily fragile in the SP rules though, that will need to be addressed.  You would think they slunk off the first time a shot was fired by the way they were written.

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 08:36:57 PM »
I'm so happy some esteemed LAF'ers are preparing to give Sharp Practice a go. I guarantee you won't be sorry.  :D

We play our Indostan games with little to no rule changes and I feel F&IW and Mexico will be similar beasts.

A nice set of custom cards to suite your particular theater are a must I think, like the ones I made for our game below.

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/2010/08/custom-sharp-practice-deck.html

From what I can see "Indians" are represented well in SP and can be a very strong enemy. I believe fergal is referring to the "Bad Medicine" card in regard to Indians being fragile. There is only 1 card in a substantial deck that causes the most wounded Group to flee, while there are 5 cards to assist them.

There are a few concepts in Sharp Practice that are a little harder to grasp, but these will become clearer in time.

Please don't hesitate to ask me any questions and have fun with it.

Also I envy you two buggers so much when you can simply organize a game with fellow LAF'ers so easily!  :'(  :'(

“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 10:09:36 AM »
Does the game appeal to smaller skirmishes at all?

Also, when do you get to use those cards?

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 10:54:36 AM »
I downloaded someone's FIW adaptation for Sharp Practice a while back - only trouble - I can't remember from where.

www.gallopinmajorwargames.com

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 10:56:29 AM »
The cover page of the rules state "Wargames Rules for large skirmishes in the Black Powder era".

Groups in Sharp Practice are comprised of between 8-12 figures and an average game would have about 6 Groups per side. Also you would probably need between 4-5 Big Men (characters).

Smaller amounts of figures and a smaller number of groups may work, but I think it would lead to a less satisfying game.

Christian, the cards basically drive the game. They determine who's go it is (Big Men), when hidden movement occurs (Blinds), random events (Bonus) and when the turn ends (Tiffin), for example.

Galloping Major, I would say it was from the Too Fat Lardies Yahoo Group.

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 11:18:56 AM »
SI, I think your about half-way there mate.  ;)

Groups of 6 figures would tend to "loose their bottle" (rout) a bit too easily. If a Group acquires more "shock points" then men, they begin to back away, double and they are fleeing. I have played with Groups consisting of 8 figures, to represent poorer quality troops, and even they tend not to stick around too long.

I have had solo-play queries posted on my blog and I too mentioned the trouble with the Blinds. They represent Groups who have not been located by the enemy, creating a kind of "fog of war". Groups on Blinds achieve a better movement rate and may not be fired on. Some Blinds are dummies, representing scouting forces, lost locals etc. IMOP, this element would be hard to achieve in solo play.

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2010, 11:50:43 AM »
Galloping Major, I would say it was from the Too Fat Lardies Yahoo Group.

Come to think of it, it probably was.  :D

www.gallopingmajorwargames.com

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2010, 12:14:27 PM »
We played a few games without blinds and the game still works. You just lose some of the suspense they help create. If all of your groups are six figures the reduced firepower may lessen the shock generated, but you can always apply one shock for every two scored in a phase if you think your units are breaking too easily.

Offline fergal

• Mad Scientist
    • Crossover Miniatures
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2010, 04:03:37 PM »
I have yet to play a game, but I would think that if all the groups were small it would equal out. 

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2010, 06:21:30 PM »
I think Sharpe Practice, They Couldn't Hit an Elephant, Charlie Don't Surf, Bag The Hun, Troops Weapons and Tactics, I Ain't Been Shot, Mum! and Kiss Me Hardy are all excellent games.

I guess this means that I've played most of their games actually...  lol

I'm currently working on an adoption of IABSM for VSF, but haven't come that far so far.

There is a lot of difference between their oldest publications and the newest. A game like IABSM can feel like a "suggestion for a rule book" rather than an actual finished book. But once you get into them I think they offer some really good games.

But what they all share is a simplicity that makes them ideal for "conversions" into other periods.

I do recommend playing with fewer figures than the lardies themselves though, as I find they play very large and long games.
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2010, 08:13:27 PM »
Really nice SI - they look great and should not deter from your layout at all.

I suspect my priorities are somewhat confused......

Not really - look at me, I'm working on lost hat markers!

So we stand at 8 men now - I can see you reporting back in the New Year "... plus 12 men for the smallest Group".  ;)