Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:07:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: New Osprey Game - Flashpoint: Platoon Skirmishes in World War III  (Read 18270 times)

Offline Corrosion

• Student
  • Game developer
Re: New Osprey Game - Flashpoint: Platoon Skirmishes in World War III
« Reply #75 on: August 18, 2022, 12:42:42 PM »
It's just really disappointing that these companies are doing this kind of thing lately. Just because some people are unreasonable and freak out over the drop of a hat, the rest of us have to suffer over it. I honestly never thought I'd see that kind of thing hit the gaming world but I guess I should have seen it coming.

I know this is only a game so we're not really suffering that bad, but it is a really harsh reality that is affecting almost every area of life right now and this is one of the few things that actually give me joy in the world the way it is right now and I know a lot of other people feel the same way. Games are how I kind of escape so to speak and again I know a hell of a lot of people agree with that. A little bit of something to bring you happiness goes a long way with the current state of our world.

Ironically, I don't even have anyone to play these games with but I enjoy reading through the rules and playing solo when I can. My friends and I don't live nearby anymore.

This is the one thing I was actually really looking forward to for awhile. I write this post with genuine sadness and disappointment.

Do they really believe anything is going to change if they release this? They might get some people flipping out, but that's going to happen anyway because being offended is now so popular.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 11:42:12 PM by Corrosion »
-Corrosion

Offline Huascar

• Librarian
« Reply #76 on: August 18, 2022, 12:54:05 PM »
Love to know what is going on! My pre-order for both digital and hardcopy is now showing delivery in 2027 and none of the book sites are still showing the cover art - all just blank blue boxes? Have been looking forward to these rules - hate to see them disappear.

Offline Corrosion

• Student
  • Game developer
« Reply #77 on: August 18, 2022, 12:55:44 PM »
Yes, they removed the art cover from most the store pages that had the book. Just blue art now.

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
« Reply #78 on: August 18, 2022, 09:19:38 PM »
I am afraid until the author decides to pop up here and post an update  all of this is idle speculation... and a bit of whining, we do not even known if the added delay has been caused by other circumstances.

To be quite honest I had a look at the game and did some solo playtest. I was not overly impressed. It is basically TW2000 ultra lite. And the new edition of TW2000 does the job perfectly well including even MBTs... it is also more adaptable. I am not knocking out the game, but I was hugely disappointed. It was  vanilla and basically  period agnostic...  nothing screaming cold war.  So... maybe there was something else behind the delay. Maybe the author is revising it making it meatier?

Said that yes a game about a post apocalyptic world immediately after a strategic nuclear exchange between NATO and Soviet Union... yes it looks a tad too close to current saber rattling.
"Put Grant straight in"

for pretty tanks and troops: http://forwardhq.blogspot.com

Offline Corrosion

• Student
  • Game developer
« Reply #79 on: August 18, 2022, 10:54:22 PM »
... but it's not idle speculation. The author did say what was going on - here on these forums and elsewhere. Go see my quoted post. It's also completely removed from the osprey website.

Also, whining? How so? Half of us prepurchased it and now have no idea what's going on with that. Disappointment isn't whining and neither is wanting to know what is happening with our purchases. the game mine as well have been canceled for all we know given that they removed the artwork on the store pages for the game and the descriptions have been really reduced. It used to be descriptive but now it's just "a set of platoon level wargame rules"... Wanting to know the status on an anticipated product and being annoyed that a company is highly likely - based on various posts - holding off because of current events seems pretty understandable. I'm genuinely surprised that counts as whining to some people. I do not personally see it that way or find that a fair equivalent.

And other games, movies, books, etc come out all the time and right now despite everything going on........ We can't hide from it and pretend it doesn't exist. The whole thing is kind of absurd.

And the game is not the same as twilight 2000 afaik. It wasn't after a nuclear war. It was just ww3 basically. Am I wrong? Playing it like it's after a nuclear war is fine but from what I know, it wasn't like that. Just cold war gone hot. Either way, I am looking forward to it no matter what. Twilight 2000 is a RPG. This is a wargame. Big difference. But I would be happy if it fit any modern rules. It doesn't necessarily have to just be cold war
« Last Edit: August 19, 2022, 03:09:40 AM by Corrosion »

Offline Dr Bogo

• Librarian
« Reply #80 on: August 19, 2022, 08:28:02 AM »
I don't think this conversation has particularly far to run down this avenue but for what it's worth:

1) Pre-purchasing anything always comes with an inherent risk to delivery, so although inquiring about the status of it is valid, this is an industry that is notoriously fast and loose with timelines and delivery so one shouldn't be too surprised.
2) Modern conflict is an aspect of wargaming that some people find no issue with and others are understandably sensitive about - if that is the reason these rules are being delayed it's the producer's choice to make and people need to live with that.
3) I have struggled to find any set of rules covering the 1980s-present period that my group could get to grips with so instead have been working on a set of house rules drawing from a range of other sets - if you're struggling with the choice out there I would recommend doing something similar, as at the end of the day it is about the style you're looking to game with.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2022, 09:34:44 AM by Dr Bogo »

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
« Reply #81 on: August 19, 2022, 10:29:33 AM »
Corrosion,

I do not dispute the author post, but I said that maybe things have changed. I know you are disappointed but, you pre-ordered through Amazon and as I said Amazon often is a bit too optimistic in release date. This is from personal experience of a book I was writing none the less.

As for the game itself, my playtest version postulated a strategic nuclear exchange following Able-Archer and it was really something like TW2000 but with less depth and options.  Now I have seen some descriptions (from Amazon none the less)  and I see it has now changed a bit, so maybe the changes had been implemented. Just out of curiosity I have also send a mail to Osprey to see what they are saying...

Having the new edition of TW2000 in my hands I can assure you it is quite a wargame, not just an RPG...

Offline Corrosion

• Student
  • Game developer
« Reply #82 on: August 19, 2022, 11:23:40 AM »
I don't think this conversation has particularly far to run down this avenue but for what it's worth:

1) Pre-purchasing anything always comes with an inherent risk to delivery, so although inquiring about the status of it is valid, this is an industry that is notoriously fast and loose with timelines and delivery so one shouldn't be too surprised.
2) Modern conflict is an aspect of wargaming that some people find no issue with and others are understandably sensitive about - if that is the reason these rules are being delayed it's the producer's choice to make and people need to live with that.
3) I have struggled to find any set of rules covering the 1980s-present period that my group could get to grips with so instead have been working on a set of house rules drawing from a range of other sets - if you're struggling with the choice out there I would recommend doing something similar, as at the end of the day it is about the style you're looking to game with.

I started developing a video game in 2017 that was loosely based on the black plague. I continued working on it through 2019 and up until 2021. Right when covid was bad. Now, taking mind that I started working on it before covid was even a thing. I remember having people tell me that it was in bad taste to start working on that during that time and I thought it was so ridiculous for them to say that since I started working on it before most people even ever heard of it. It had nothing to do with covid and it just happened to be a circumstance that I found myself in that I was working on a game about that kind of thing during an actual pandemic. But why would that stop me? If I had made a game specifically about covid during that time, I think it would have been a bad choice but it wasn't. The game ended up being extremely popular and it did really well. The few people who were attacking me over it never even bothered buying it so that's not a big surprise there.

That said, I'm not even going to bother listing all of the works including games and movies and books and everything else that have been coming out for literally decades about the Cold war going hot. You and I both know that if people are very sensitive about it, they can safely ignore it. And Truth be told, the people who are going to be sensitive about it probably aren't even going to be customers anyway, so what does it matter? I would think they would try to keep their customers happy. At this point, we really need osprey to let those of us who pre-purchased it on one site or another in on some of the information and let us know if it's even still happening. 

I remember playing the original operation flashpoint back so many years ago when I was a kid, and I continued playing the series until they stopped with it and now I play Arma and have been for years. And the cold war is not even necessarily going on right now but it very possibly could. It very possibly could have all during that time that those other works came out as well.

It sets a really bad precedent if we always let fear and circumstance dictate our actions.

As you said, I have to agree that this conversation going in this direction really doesn't have far to go and everybody has their own opinions so it is probably best to just leave it at that. I have obviously said my part and everybody else has so we should probably try to get a little bit more back on topic about the actual game and stop talking about all this ridiculous stuff surrounding it.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2022, 11:26:57 AM by Corrosion »

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #83 on: August 19, 2022, 09:05:03 PM »
Wouldn’t worry, taste is a variable. My local supermarket has a bargain bin, full of assorted shite. Recently it featured a board game titled ‘Pandemic’.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Cypher226

• Mad Scientist
    • Friendly Fire
« Reply #84 on: August 20, 2022, 09:05:23 PM »
Which is unfortunate,.as Pandemic is an absolutely excellent board game.

Though I understand it.  I was gearing up to run a T2K 4th ed game in January, then shelved in late Feb for some reason...  Just because one person doesn't see a problem, doesn't mean others won't.

Offline Corrosion

• Student
  • Game developer
« Reply #85 on: August 22, 2022, 04:45:50 AM »
Pandemic is an excellent game. And yeah that works on the flip side too though. Mature people who understand what a coincidence is won't make a big deal of nothing when others do. Especially over something so small. There's this little thing called choice. Basically, if you don't like something, you have a choice to ignore it. That's called maturity and it goes hand in hand with responsibility. I know that is just a thing of the past but still. It would be nice to let people make up their own minds.

Either way, it would be really cool to know exactly what's going on first hand. I have to agree now that I have thought more about it and say that it is a bit of speculation at this point considering that post is from a while ago but it is very strange that the book has completely vanished from the actual website and there is no news of it whatsoever anywhere.

That said...

SpongeBob had an episode about a sickness going around bikini bottom from years ago and people freaked out when it aired during covid so they removed the episode because obviously SpongeBob is so diabolical of a TV show. -_- I cannot imagine a rational adult making a big deal out of a kids tv show.

Same deal here.

Still hoping we get the game soon.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2022, 04:50:46 AM by Corrosion »

Offline Cypher226

• Mad Scientist
    • Friendly Fire
« Reply #86 on: August 22, 2022, 02:28:18 PM »
@Corrosion

oh I'd totally like to see it surface sooner rather than later, much as I've recently begun looking at picking back up my T2K project with the acquisition of some more figures to convert into marauders.  I want to see the rules so I can see how much work it's going to take to adapt them for the more resource-limited world of T2k.

I also think you're coming from the wrong angle in expecting rational thought from the masses (look at the furore around the British Royal Family whenever younger members appear in any way, shape or form), but I'm a professional cynic. 

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #87 on: August 22, 2022, 05:20:11 PM »
No politics, please. Thanks!  ;)

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #88 on: August 24, 2022, 05:08:14 PM »
there is no much modern rulesets available. So I will still follow this one. I already own force on force and skirmish sanguin (and another rulesets in french you probably never heard about). My favorite is OPEX a french ruleset, force on force is good also but the book itself is nearly unreadable.

Online AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #89 on: August 24, 2022, 06:23:53 PM »
there is no much modern rulesets available. So I will still follow this one. I already own force on force and skirmish sanguin (and another rulesets in french you probably never heard about). My favorite is OPEX a french ruleset, force on force is good also but the book itself is nearly unreadable.

I’m going to give the Empress BOHICA a go as I’ve seen them used for moderns before now