Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:00:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689676
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Living vs. The Dead - An Age of Heroes Plog  (Read 1864 times)

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
The Living vs. The Dead - An Age of Heroes Plog
« on: November 13, 2020, 09:28:05 AM »
Hi all,

Many moons ago I used some Bday mulla to jump in on the Forgotten Worlds KS by Fireforge Games. I wasn’t really sure what I’d use the minis for, I just knew I liked ‘em.

Now, with another Bday approaching and no progress made (on pretty much any hobby project) I find myself tempted to finally do something with these guys. Trouble is though, I don’t have much hobby time or much head-space* so an army is definitely out of the question…

Earlier this year I created a fun little ruleset called Age of Heroes**, aimed at small skirmish games; they are rules-lite yet have a range of upgrades that players can pull from to customise their warband. So, with what little hobby time I can muster it shouldn’t be too tricky to bash out a couple of warbands…fingers crossed…

The Plan
So, the basic plan is to build two forces one Living and the other Dead. I only have a little bit of terrain so I might build one or two new pieces…but best not get ahead of myself. Once my two forces are built and painted I’d like to actually have a game…hopefully…

The Warbands
In AoH each player gets a Hero and 4 Warriors as well as 5 upgrades to customise their warband.

I’ve got a good idea of what I want in my warbands; for the Dead I definitely wanted them to be Infected*** as the idea of them turning their foes against them is too appealing (this used 2 upgrades for the whole warband). I’d also like a mix of minis so both the fabulous Living Dead Warriors and Peasants are in and while a LD Knight is tempting I think I’ll go with a dead dog instead (that’s the Beast upgrade). To get the two peasants I’m going to use a Runts upgrade while I’m going to give my Hero Regeneration to truly make him a thorn in the Living's side.

For the Living I really want a couple of archers to try and take the Dead out from long range so I’ll use a Runts upgrade again but this time I’ll give them both Sharpshooter to take their Shoot Roll back up to 4+. A Hero and some Warriors wielding swords and shields make up the rest of the warband; I want the Hero to stick around so he can have Tough to give him +1 Health and I like the idea of him wielding an ancestral blade so his attacks are Piercing.

What’s Next?
It’s taken me 3 days to finally sort out my forces…so the next step is to start this plog and build up the dozen minis or so I need…wish me luck…

* I’m Autistic so I get easily overloaded
** For Age of Heroes see here...https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=123510.0
*** Hmm...I guess that means I might just have to make a Dead version of each of the Living minis...doh, thats another 6 minis then
  lol
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
Re: The Living vs. The Dead - An Age of Heroes Plog
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2020, 08:06:17 PM »
Just a quick update to shows things are moving forwards, here's a pic of my first two guys built up...and a convert Escher ganger I'm working on...

These Forgotten World minis went together well..though the neck joins needed a bit of work to avoid them looking weird; I had to trim them down and GS the one turning off centre.

I might start the bowmen next...

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2020, 08:43:16 PM »
A week later and the first warband is finished...well built...

They went together well, though some of the pieces don't quite sit snuggly and needed a bit of carving / GS work. I wanted the sergeant to stand out a little so carved out the chin whiskers...he looks a little more like me now  lol

Again the head joins all needed trimming to look natural.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2020, 07:40:40 PM »
More (slow) progress...

I actually started painting the whole warband at the same time but got kinda lost in the colourscheme so I decided to focus on just the one mini so I could nail it down...I'm pretty happy with how he's turned out. So, I can crack on with the rest of them now...though maybe two at a time.

I also could do with digging out some transfers or coming up with a design for the shields...

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2020, 07:47:01 PM »
Looks good  :)

Slow progress is better than no progress  :)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2020, 08:21:17 PM »
Great work! Step by step keep marching on.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2020, 10:06:28 AM »
Thanks Chaps  8) Hopefully I can start the other two swordsmen tonight.

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2020, 11:05:42 AM »
Nice job  :)

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
Swordsmen of the North!
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2020, 06:09:23 PM »
Thanks Akula  8)

Progress at last...

So that's the three swordsmen done, next up are the two archers then the leader. Slowly chugging away on this project.

If I'm to play a game I will need to think about some terrain too at some point; Age of Heroes only uses a 2x2ft board so I won't need loads...I'm thinking some rocks or hills might a good idea as they are generic enough to be used for sci-fi games too.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2020, 08:49:01 PM »
Great job! Very characterful faces, well done eyes.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2021, 08:54:00 PM »
Thanks Rick!

A few weeks ago I finished a couple of bowmen but forgot to snap & upload them...

Here's the warband so far...

...just the Hero to go; he's already built and I've started painting him so hopefully he won't take too long.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2021, 08:45:33 PM »
Well he took me a while but I finally finished the Northern Sergeant...

I love the expression on his face...though I am biased as we share the same whiskers  lol

Here's a group shot of the full Warband...

I still want to add some transfers or maybe free hand to the shields but our house is a bit disorganised at the moment as we are having the kitchen done and home school and whatnot.

Online majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2021, 09:11:41 PM »
Really like those figures nice and chunky looking

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2021, 07:48:30 AM »
excellent - great work on the eyes.
I couldn't bring myself to try and do 'em that well myself, but admire those that can.