Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:57:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A 15th Century Byzantine Project (20/06 p3 - Militia Unit Complete)  (Read 13302 times)

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
Re: A 15th Century Byzantine Project (24/01 - Stratio-tests!)
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2021, 08:59:18 PM »
Very nice! I look forward to seeing a whole unit of these.

Eastern european and balkan light cavalry for the 15th century seems like an interesting subject, with potential for lots of research and subsequent conversions. It's not a subject I'm knowledgeable on at all, but i'm enjoying seeing others do it. Oli on his Camisado blog (link) has been doing lots of similar conversions for various sorts of Hungarian cavalry, and their Ottomon opponents.

Offline Unlucky General

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2021, 11:22:11 PM »
This is such a worthwhile pursuit and I am following with keen interest. This is how all great figure ranges begin and your research will no doubt prove ground breaking as it only seems to be we wargamers who care about this level of specific detail in military history. Thanks for sharing your findings and your interpretations in 28mm.

Offline Anderson Collection

• Mad Scientist
    • The Anderson Collection
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2021, 08:32:44 PM »
I've had a few figures made not really a commercial venture but would be happy to share once the figures are cast up if there is any interest.

Cheers

Willie

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2021, 12:46:36 AM »
This is such a worthwhile pursuit and I am following with keen interest. This is how all great figure ranges begin and your research will no doubt prove ground breaking as it only seems to be we wargamers who care about this level of specific detail in military history. Thanks for sharing your findings and your interpretations in 28mm.

Aw thanks, that really means a lot!

I've had a few figures made not really a commercial venture but would be happy to share once the figures are cast up if there is any interest.

Cheers

Willie

Oh nice! these are some really nice sculpts! Is the cavalryman one painted up on your blog? I think I recognise the pose. Thanks for sharing!

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2021, 09:06:37 AM »
Yes the cavalry are already cast I have quite a few foot figures coming that will be cast once I get a slot.
They have interchangeable heads so should allow a nice mix.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2021, 02:06:45 PM »
Yes the cavalry are already cast I have quite a few foot figures coming that will be cast once I get a slot.

Erm..... wow!  :o

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2021, 03:43:58 PM »
Really nice minis and without stumpy proportions, exactly the way I like them!

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2021, 11:19:10 PM »
Pretty cool project. I have also wondered how to set up a 15th century Byantime force and likeing what you have done so far.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline MeinPanzer

• Lurker
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2021, 04:21:25 AM »
Wow, those look outstanding. I would definitely be interested in ordering some casts, both infantry and cavalry. When do you think you might be able to sell some?

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2021, 04:14:20 PM »
Thanks both!

I probably should point out that the Virgilio is also illustrated by Apollonio di Giovanni so there's always the risk of me putting all my eggs in one Florentine basket there!  lol

The Riccardian Library of Florence used to have the whole manuscript available online, but unfortunately it was Flash-based so it's pretty inaccessible now:

http://www.riccardiana.firenze.sbn.it/index.php/en/digital-collections/35-paper-parnass/77-il-virgilio-riccardiano-2

At the risk of stating the obvious, presumably you are aware of the Osprey Book “Constantinople 1453 The End of Byzantium” which has much useful information on Byzantine troops at this time (including a decent Further Reading list of other sources) as do their MAA books “Byzantine Armies AD 1118 - 1461” and “The Varangian Guard 988 - 1453”.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 04:22:03 PM by armchairgeneral »

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2021, 10:53:23 AM »
At the risk of stating the obvious, presumably you are aware of the Osprey Book “Constantinople 1453 The End of Byzantium” which has much useful information on Byzantine troops at this time (including a decent Further Reading list of other sources) as do their MAA books “Byzantine Armies AD 1118 - 1461” and “The Varangian Guard 988 - 1453”.

I've got the Byzantine Armies 1118-1461 and Byzantine Naval forces 1261-1461 ones, but not the Constantinople/Varangian specific ones. They were honestly a pretty big inspiration with starting the project, and like you say, the "Further Reading" sections are definitely useful (it's how I became aware of the Virgil to begin with!)

That said, sometimes I think they rely a little too heavily on icon-paintings of saints for visual references. My guess is that the armour in the icons is a sort of idealised "good old days" sort of depiction rather than a 1:1 depiction of the contemporary rank-and-file...but in the absence of evidence *against* that armour, it's still a valid interpretation! It's kind of a shame that we're stuck with very few, if any contemporary secular sources to rely on, but that's part of the challenge I guess!  lol

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2021, 11:09:30 PM »
Happy Chappy

Hope you don’t mind but thought rather than start another individual thread I thought it would be good to keep adding my progress along with yours.There seems to be small number of us interested in this period so will save us trawling the forum.

A couple of conversions and some new sculpts.

Willie

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2021, 01:04:59 AM »
Happy Chappy

Hope you don’t mind but thought rather than start another individual thread I thought it would be good to keep adding my progress along with yours.There seems to be small number of us interested in this period so will save us trawling the forum.

A couple of conversions and some new sculpts.

Willie

Oh no, always glad to see more! Happy to share the thread!

Those are great sculpts too, that first one is based on the Constantine XI statue in Athens right?

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2021, 05:38:36 PM »
Oh no, always glad to see more! Happy to share the thread!

Those are great sculpts too, that first one is based on the Constantine XI statue in Athens right?

Me too! please keep firing away!  :-* :o

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2021, 05:59:10 PM »
One of the advantages of the separate heads will be adding to other manufacturers figures this Perry Sculpt will receive a cloak and join the ranks as a minor officer.