Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:00:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686495
  • Total Topics: 118103
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Dux britanniarum in the 15th century  (Read 7250 times)

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
Re: Dux britanniarum in the 15th century
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2012, 09:41:14 PM »
Fascinating stuff guys! What a great thread :)

Offline max

• Scientist
  • Medieval Mad
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2012, 05:35:17 PM »
Ok, sounds good. I'm hoping to play an English-French game at the weekend to give the changes a spin, will need to cut some big base markers for when my archers are mounted. Also began organising a Burgundian force (well, german mercenaries in the Lowlands) and thought of some ideas for their cards. As an idea:

-Crouched lances: as in the other decks. 2 in the deck.
-Volley: As the English card. 2 in the deck.
-Perhaps something that allows militia to fight for 1 turn as soldiers. I had the original idea to allow militia archers to 'grapple' with their daggers and get in close, giving the same effect. There will be 1 in the deck.
-Another card or 2, still musing on that point.

Don't know if you already have some ideas :/

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2012, 08:26:23 AM »
I haven't given any thought to cards as yet to be honest. The best thing about them is that they are themed to the period you are playing, so different war, different cards, other than the 'standards' of course. I've always thought that they should grant benefits for the use of historical (or if you like 'stereotypical') tactics and be side specific. I was going to leave them till last, but there are some cards in the original deck which just won't work for 15thC.

Off the top of my head for a vague Hundred Years War theme.... 'Arret' - Some form of temporary bonus for the slightly more 'chivalrous' French fighting mounted. 'La Hire' - To give a stubborn streak or some other bonus to a French Big Man. 'Hellequins' - Some form of bonus for (some) English mounted archers fighting mounted. 'Stakes' - speaks for itself. 

You could have some of your militia temporarily increased to soldier status, but they ordinarily improve over the course of the campaign. At the beginning, they are freshly raised and inexperienced... and not actually 'levies' as such. Think of them as any sort of 'new' soldiers, as opposed to the more experienced 'soldiers'. One of the reasons I changed the names of the classes was because of word association and 'militia' seemed the best overall fit.

Offline max

• Scientist
  • Medieval Mad
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2012, 09:56:42 AM »
Fascinating stuff guys! What a great thread :)

Thanks!

As for cards, the French ones i have are similar ish to what you said (bravery, giving +1 status, and crouch lances giving a +1 to hit for charging elites), maybe hellequins could allow a group or formation of mounted archers to fire while mounted. Only one card or two in the deck. This would replace the english 'crouch lances' as the elites fought more often on foot than the french (that's the stereotype anyway!)

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2012, 10:49:09 AM »
For me the game is about 'command and control' rather than the micromanaging of individual units. So you could use the cards to simulate inspired (or uninspired) commanders doing something clever (or not) and to give some variance to what are quite generic and vanilla troop types when it comes down to it.

The use of the 'Hellequin' card is a great illustration, could be done, might have been done, at least if contemporary illustrations are to be believed, but offer that as a force option and every unit will be able to do it... wargamers are like that. Putting it as a chance card is an ideal solution!

Likewise stakes, we assume that all of the English had the option of using them, which we might incorporate into their general ability, rather than creating 'stake' rules. By using fate cards we can incorporate the possibility of an individual unit commander 'getting it wrong' or doing something inspired, which increases/decreases their effectiveness for some reason.

There are a number of permutations or possibilities for the use of the cards, so that they take away the 'gods-eye view' and the multitude of choices available to the wargamer and instead force him to concentrate on a general battle plan, his deployment and hoping that his subordinates don't f**** up. We are in a period where accident of birth and not ability is generally the predictor of high command after all.

;)