Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:50:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: World War of the Roses - May 22 & 23 - results and next year....  (Read 24087 times)

Offline Thew1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Librarian
Those are some lovely little vignettes and the free hand heraldry on the tent in 10mm, wow!
Congratulations to all those who took part in the vignette competition too. All of the  entries looked fantastic.

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
Any idea how many games will be played in this party?
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline vexillia

• Mad Scientist
    • Vexillia
Far too late but you might enjoy this 15 mm vignette all the same:

https://blog.vexillia.me.uk/2021/05/15-mm-war-of-roses-commanders-redux.html

Offline Winston

• Librarian
    • YouTube: Winston Ab Rees
Far too late but you might enjoy this 15 mm vignette all the same:

https://blog.vexillia.me.uk/2021/05/15-mm-war-of-roses-commanders-redux.html

A fantastic effort none the less!
Give us a follow on Twitter: @winston_ab_rees and Insta: winston_ab_rees

Offline Winston

• Librarian
Re: World War of the Roses - May 22 & 23 - advice for participants
« Reply #79 on: May 16, 2021, 05:22:06 PM »
Evening all - and here are some pointers for the weekend's event for our LAF participants.

1. Many of the UK games, including our big St Albans I game (with Raglan & Paul Baldwin), are going ahead in person due to the easing of Coronavirus restrictions. We will of course support anyone who would rather postpone a game due to the challenges of restrictions in their country or through personal choice/circumstances. We'll simply add your result to the final York vs Lancaster total at a later date. Please abide by the guidance pertaining to your part of the world!

2. The bulk of games however should take place this Saturday May 22 and Sunday May 23.

3. If your chosen method of #WorldWarRoses communication is here on the LAF, please reply to this post with your location, planned game scenario - i.e. which battle.

4. Then on the weekend itself post pictures here of your games along with the result - Lancaster or York.

5. There will be two brief (circa 15mins) group Zoom calls on the weekend - one Saturday and one Sunday - arranged at different times which hopefully make it bareable / possible for you to join wherever your time zone may be. During the call, we'll all simply say hello across the globe, share a few pictures/camera angles of our games and wish oneanother luck in battle. If you would like to join a Zoom call - send me a private message via the LAF messaging service to obtain the details/code from me.

6. The following week I'll share a few highlights, battle reports and latest score here on the forum.

Good luck everyone, and thank you so much for your support! #WorldWarRoses

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #80 on: May 17, 2021, 02:15:10 AM »
Bangkok here; playing this Saturday, SE Asia time (GMT + 6. I believe); Battle of Tolpit's Common (which you won't find in the history books - hope that's OK); Edward IV = Alexander Hay-Whitton, Warwick = Krisanan Lertanantawong.

Offline Winston

• Librarian
« Reply #81 on: May 18, 2021, 05:58:44 AM »
Bangkok here; playing this Saturday, SE Asia time (GMT + 6. I believe); Battle of Tolpit's Common (which you won't find in the history books - hope that's OK); Edward IV = Alexander Hay-Whitton, Warwick = Krisanan Lertanantawong.

Sounds great and intriguing. Brill to have #WorldWarRoses represented in this part of the world

Offline Norm

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Blog for wargaming in small places
« Reply #82 on: May 18, 2021, 07:07:33 AM »
A re-imagining of Bosworth 1485.

I will put on a small game on Sunday. As my forces build, I only have small forces, so within that limit i shall just be doing 1 ward Vs 1 ward using Sword & Spear Rules.

We pick up the story at the point that Richard sees treachery in the actions (or rather non-actions) of Lord Stanley. He orders the execution Stanley's son, Lord Strange, whom he holds hostage.

And then our story 're-imagines' a spin-off. Richard goes to Northumberland's (Percy) inactive ward and orders him to attack Lord Stanley and that is where this scenario is based - on what we believe was a quiet part of the battlefield.

Percy has slightly larger forces than Stanley, but will Stanley's brother, who is already partly engaged supporting Oxford, send across enough reinforcement to Help Lord Stanley? plus Percy will have to cross open ground in front of Stanley's excellent Welsh archers. Richard is supporting the Percy 'what if' with some cavalry and a re-orientation of his light artillery.

I am racing to get another base of hand-gunners painted and based to round out the OoB for the game.

I don't do the various social media, so will post back here with pics and results. 
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 07:15:08 AM by Norm »

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #83 on: May 18, 2021, 11:34:48 AM »
Sounds great and intriguing. Brill to have #WorldWarRoses represented in this part of the world

Thank you for motivating me to paint them up!

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #84 on: May 18, 2021, 12:32:15 PM »
Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
« Reply #85 on: May 19, 2021, 06:33:02 AM »
This coming weekend we will be refighting Towton in the Shed with the best part of 1500 figures on the table using NMTBH. Given this is out of sequence with the battles we have so far fought in our WOTR series I'll hold fire on posting the results until such time that we have fought Mortimer's Cross, 2nd St Albans and Ferrybridge.

Wishing everyone a great weekend of WOTR gaming

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #86 on: May 20, 2021, 03:09:54 PM »
We managed to find a place that sold malmsey this evening (no easy matter in Bangkok!). A little bit of extra semi-authenticity for Saturday.
Available roses really aren't suitable for 15th-century England, unfortunately.

Offline Lord Raglan

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Abergavenny
« Reply #87 on: May 20, 2021, 07:34:38 PM »
The table is almost ready to fight the First Battle of St Albans, once the boys bring down another 9 buildings on Saturday. I have purposely left lots of open ground, as we have bucket-loads of miniatures to pour onto the table.

Offline Lord Raglan

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Abergavenny
« Reply #88 on: May 20, 2021, 07:37:06 PM »
The Lancastrian forces are assembled

Offline Lord Raglan

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Abergavenny
« Reply #89 on: May 20, 2021, 07:53:28 PM »
My friend Mike Wall has also prepared his table for the War of the Roses Battle Weekend