Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:49:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Playing Sci Fi with Sellswords and Spellslingers Rules  (Read 2950 times)

Offline Mark

• Librarian
Re: Playing Sci Fi with Sellswords and Spellslingers Rules
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2021, 10:34:18 PM »
Having just reread your original post, do you count the outnumbering bonus for hordes for shooting attacks? I read the rules as hordes shooting effectively work as individual shooting attacks, which may explain our different experiences!

Offline Spinal Tap

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2021, 07:15:12 AM »
Having just reread your original post, do you count the outnumbering bonus for hordes for shooting attacks? I read the rules as hordes shooting effectively work as individual shooting attacks, which may explain our different experiences!

Good Spot. Yes I did!!

As you'll be well aware there are very few shooting foes in the original fantasy version so it's not a rule I ever got familiar with and just transposed the melee rule to shooters; Sunjester pointed out the error of my ways last week as well so I won't be making that mistake again.

The Through the Badlands scenario I posted on 4th Feb was with no horde bonus though and I still got slaughtered. I think if you get a couple of unlucky cards with lots of shooters on the board then the overwhelming number of shots will be too much.

It's all fun experimenting and sharing though. Sunjester has taken a rather different path and has different DL's for minions when shooting and fighting melee whilst you tough it out with no modifiers.

I'm still not settled on how I will eventually run these sci fi games as I've only had a handful of games to test stuff out - what I do next year is unlikely to bear much resemblance to this year.

Regarding using Jedi I have put together a character I will be playtesting once I've finished my Fantasy SS and SS campaign.

I've bent the rules a bit to suit but I wanted him to be more Jedi like.

He will run as as Player 1's whole party alongside Player 2's 3-5 standard PCs.

I'm especially looking forward to seeing how Teleport Friend will pan out when using it to pull ranged enemies in melee or throw them outside their shooting range, as well as moving objects to create his own cover.

And the Knockdown Fireball should be good defensively as well as for splitting hordes - when a horde gets to move those standing will move but those prone will use their move to stand.

Here's a bad pic of his stat sheet I did last week

20210213_065204 by markndebs, on Flickr

Offline Mark

• Librarian
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2021, 09:17:40 PM »
Glad that I was the one doing it right!  lol

I played In Search of Rare Herbs again today with my boy. Obi Wan, Rex, Cody and Waxer. All the same profiles- Rex was a carbon copy of Cody today.

As per last time, the "herb" markers fell kindly with two close to one edge, so we came on there. Also as per last time, both rolls were failed so we had to head across the board. We got pretty lucky with cards though - just a 5 strong horde from They are at Our Backs, which was fairly comfortably dealt with by the clones whilst Obi Wan headed off to get the Intel. Mission accomplished, only damage was one wound on Waxer.

A much easier time of it than last time - Wandering Monster never came up which was the big differential.

I like your idea on the jedi - I have drafted another character sheet for my in the post Anakin, but haven't gone down the magic route yet, mainly as Spellcaster takes so much XP!