Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:36:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690652
  • Total Topics: 118342
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Yesteryear...  (Read 11227 times)

Offline Stu

• Mad Scientist
Re: Yesteryear...
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2021, 08:19:11 AM »
Some of those rifles look like the EM-2.
That's what I've always thought.

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2021, 09:11:42 AM »
I had many games with those awful figures, but I think the only vehicle I built was the Sherman, which I later fielded alongside half a dozen Minitank M4s. I knew no shame in those days. Rules were from Terry Wise’s book, when I bothered with any.

Other vehicles, incidentally, were Airfix’s polythene toys. I had several M113’s, though I doubt I knew that at the time. I can, however, now defend this on the grounds that I saw some in an Italian English language film set around El Alamein, and believed what I saw.

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2021, 11:21:54 AM »
A pal of mine is still ferrying his Russians (Lend-Lease) around in Airfix's polythene American truck. Got three tips for painting German tackle...

Green Ochre

Dark Yellow

Middle Stone

I'll do a little test and see which I like best, might even use all three, as I seem to recall Dunkelgelb did vary a bit?

???
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2021, 11:54:07 AM »
I seem to recall Dunkelgelb did vary a bit?
It did indeed, late war DG was generally rather lighter in tone than the original:

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2021, 12:12:15 PM »
I’m now reminded of Charles Grant’s WWII rules, which many regard as a classic, and some still use. Based on my reading of them I find this remarkable, particularly in view of some atrociously garbled text, which somehow remained intact in later printings such as mine.

More pertinently to the present discussion, however, I recall that Mr Grant’s Russian - or, as he termed them, Muscovite - troops boasted such anomalies   as Hanomags - presumably captured - and, less explicably, bazookas.

None of the above comments, save those relating to textual corruption for which the author himself was blameless, are meant to appear judgemental. While the rules themselves did not appeal to me, the only fair comment about them is that they were of their time, with all that implies.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 12:14:05 PM by Andrew_McGuire »

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2021, 01:09:30 AM »
Airfix Churchill ready to rumble into action...

Got one of the British Infantry out to see how they'll paint up. They are tiny...

:?

Offline Truscott Trotter

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2021, 01:24:23 AM »
Most people use Middlestone but I like Green Ochre or a mix of the two myself

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2021, 01:29:25 AM »
More pertinently to the present discussion, however, I recall that Mr Grant’s Russian - or, as he termed them, Muscovite - troops boasted such anomalies   as Hanomags - presumably captured - and, less explicably, bazookas.

Now that you mention it, the bowels of the Emporium have just burped this motley crew up! Looks like the Germans will be fighting on two fronts before this little lot's over...

:o

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2021, 10:17:30 AM »
Splendid. Are these sons of the Motherland as they were in days of yore? I regret to say my own troops of all nations barely received only token efforts at painting, if any, with the Russians for some reason being among the least favoured, in spite of being quite decent figures to my eye. I particularly liked the machine gun and two part gunner. I think there was also a mortar and crew. Neither were included in the British or German sets, though the 8th Army had a crude Vickers and odd little gunner.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2021, 12:17:42 PM »
Well done on the Churchill Harry. My last (so far only) attempt was similar time frame to yours.
As a callow youth I firmly believed what Airfix told me.  To wit 'To ensure that the tracks will rotate
do not glue into place the bogies'.  It was a task akin to balancing a row of peas on one knife,
while trying to line up another knife on top. Needless to say I failed. There are probably still
missing bogies in that house's carpet.

And guess what, a friend (also of LAF) recently gifted me a tank kit... A Churchill !!!!!!!!

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2021, 09:50:33 AM »
Just finished the Airfix Tiger I, it's an awful looking model. Thing is though, it's so basic it kind of looks very sinister, in a way more modern kits don't.

???

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2021, 12:18:10 PM »
Interesting point re the Tiger model, which could be developed further. To evoke its psychological impact, for example, all German tanks, at least on initial appearance, might be represented by Tigers. Allied troops encountering them would have to undergo a test of nerve before the real identity of the vehicle were revealed.

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2021, 01:36:21 PM »
That's an excellent idea, every time Allied tankies saw a German tank, it was a Tiger. Hindsight tells us that most of the big cats broke down miles away from the action.

:)

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2021, 01:53:19 PM »
all German tanks, at least on initial appearance, might be represented by Tigers.

I did use that trick to good effect in a WW2 (Eastern front) game.
I made sure that the German players could (accidentally) see the
box of Russian reserves (Full of KV1s & T34s). I then kept mentioning
things they could hear from off table, such as, 'Loud clanking of tanks'
Their morale was shot long before I brought on two crappy obsolete
light tanks. Two of the Nazi's finest had already started abandoning
their defensive positions, ready to avoid the end of game rout.

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2021, 02:13:48 PM »
Here's a piccy of HQ Troop 51st (Leeds Rifles) Royal Tank Regiment.
I wonder if Sergeant Donald Featherstone is among them?

:)