Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:13:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686613
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 757
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Yesteryear Conversion info please  (Read 2306 times)

Offline CarlLeyland

• Scientist
Yesteryear Conversion info please
« on: September 12, 2016, 08:04:56 AM »
Hi Guys,

I wonder if any of you can recall reading an article about converting an old Yesteryear model into an armoured car? The article was in a magazine but I simply cannot remember which one! If there is similar work on here a link would be really useful. Does anyone make sitting figures for drivers and crew?

Also whilst I am picking your brains has any manufacturer hinted at WW1 in plastic? I may start to buy a few figures in metal but plastic would really be useful....

Thanks in advance-the wireless cart on here just "forced" me into purchasing some test figures but now I "need" more.

Offline mrtn

• Scientist
Re: Yesteryear Conversion info please
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 10:17:29 AM »
Victrix showed renders for plastic more than a year ago, but they seem to have scrapped the project. I've converted a few Blitzkrieg plastics into late WWI Germans though, so that's an option.

Offline CarlLeyland

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 12:58:18 PM »
Cheers for the reply Mrtyn but I now have a couple of Yesteryear cars and lost the reference article :-[

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 09:43:44 PM »
A bit more of a clue as to which armoured cars your after and you'll find there's a fair few members who could talk you through building anything.Rather than chasing an old article as there's often simpler methods than turn up in articles.Plus you've a better chance of sourcing parts.

Mark.

Offline CarlLeyland

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2016, 06:08:06 PM »
The article described hoe the author had fitted crew and HMG to a couple of Rolls Royve cars. There were to represent very early vehicles. I have saved the magazine so carefully I cannot find it!

Really where to source the crew/HMG and the name of the car would get me well under way....also any links to similar work would be of great help. I am in love with the 1500W radio cart on this forum....amazing work.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2016, 08:05:03 PM »
I'm afraid locating the magazine is all you  :D

Mark does do some  very interesting scratch builds.

I take it your looking to do one the Samson cars. If you are then converting a toy car to the 1st Samson car ( top picture ) can be done in under an hour.
Or if your inclined to the second Samson desgin which sore more action then quite frankly you'd be better off leaving the toy cars alone.
It's worth noting that not all early Armoured cars were Rolls Royce,( especially the ones your most likely thinking of and that includes Those with The 1914 pattern body.) But it's a bit rivet counting when it comes to 28mm. Talbots were also used,as were a few others( only one of the two lower photographs is a Roll's but it just shows for gaming it doesn't matter that much.)

Offline CarlLeyland

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2016, 08:33:49 PM »
Bezzo and Tin Shed, I am in debt to you both...I will track the issue down and in the meantime have a go using the pics for reference. It seems like yesterday that I read the article....5 years??

The German contraption looks like it belongs in a catch the pigeon cartoon! Again thank you I can now look through a box of Lesney and Lledo vehicles and pull out some useful ones. The search for crew is underway....

Thanks again Gents, if you are ever in the Leyland area let me know I have a stock of Victorian ale for you to sample.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2016, 09:48:21 PM »
No worries.
(its actually a captured British car shortly before it was turned around and pointed at its previous owners)
As for crew not an issue my own bits and bobs at 1st corps ( not a plug there are plenty of companies out there its just I've no need of them!)
Converting cars can be done very simply.
If you get stuck feel free to pick my brains or put out a general shout for help on here and people will come out of the woodwork.

Mark.

Offline CarlLeyland

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2016, 08:57:53 PM »
Thanks for the assistance, already I have a lot to be going on with. I had forgotten all about 1st Corps.....they were on Burnley last time I ordered from them (I think).