Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:51:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Commercial - New Spanish Civil War Rules  (Read 4504 times)

Offline Yuber Okami

• Scientist
    • Huestes de Arcana - The blog!
Re: Commercial - New Spanish Civil War Rules
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2021, 06:12:38 PM »
There are no additional rules. It's all in the same volume, which you can get from Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08X63FHT3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It says it's out of stock (i would have bought it by now if not for that issue)

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2021, 06:55:25 PM »
Trebbian, going back to the question posed by Yuber Okami. I get the bit about each unit can activate up to 3 times, but after one unit has activated does "activation" pass to the other side so it is basically "alternate unit activation".  I discussed this with my opponent  for this weekend's game and we both interpreted the rules differently. That said really looking forward to it!

Offline Trebian

• Bookworm
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2021, 07:08:03 PM »
It says it's out of stock (i would have bought it by now if not for that issue)

Which Amazon site are you ordering from? It's is print on demand, so some locations show out of stock until someone orders one.

Offline Trebian

• Bookworm
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2021, 07:27:14 PM »
Trebbian, going back to the question posed by Yuber Okami. I get the bit about each unit can activate up to 3 times, but after one unit has activated does "activation" pass to the other side so it is basically "alternate unit activation".  I discussed this with my opponent  for this weekend's game and we both interpreted the rules differently. That said really looking forward to it!

Have a look again at page 27, para iii. It says: "The card played enables the player to perform ONE action with ONE unit. A unit may be ordered to perform more than one action, up to a maximum of THREE in any turn. The player may activate a number of units, switching between them if desired as long as the same suit is played." You can activate as many units as you like within your card suit run. Over the page, on p28 it says: "The suit sequence can spread across more than one brigade if desired. Once a player has either run out of cards in the suit being played, or they reach their Army Effectiveness, or if they so choose, their turn pauses, and play passes to the opponent". There's nowhere that it says alternate between units on each side, I think. If there is, please point me at it, so I can correct the wording.

For your first game here's some advice:
1) Just because you can move three times and cover half the board in a turn doesn't mean it's a good idea. Don't blame me or the rules if you try it and come unstuck.
2) Getting caught standing around in the open is not a good idea. Getting caught moving in the open is even worse.
3) Close assaulting troops in buildings is really hard.
4) Artillery and mortar use is key. It doesn't normally normally kill much, but it pins and restricts your opponent's movement very severely. Use this to your advantage.
5) Armour is great, but don't get separated from your supporting infantry.
6) Re-organisation will keep your units in the game. Think about when you are likely to need to do so, and plan for it.
7) Co-ordinating artillery strikes across more than one unit with the extra card(s) can be much more effective, as every one gets the first round firing effects.
8) Where you can, hold back an activation per unit if you think you are going to end up near the enemy.
9) Don't leave your jokers to last in the turn. They get you extra command cards too.
10) Don't be surprised if this plays really differently to other WW2 style games you have played. It's supposed to.

Enjoy your game at the weekend. Email me if you have questions, and let me have some photographs.

Graham

Offline Yuber Okami

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2021, 07:08:12 AM »
Which Amazon site are you ordering from? It's is print on demand, so some locations show out of stock until someone orders one.

Amazon UK. It doesn't even appear in Amazon Spain, and I can't order it in the UK page. I just ordered it via Amazon US

Offline Trebian

• Bookworm
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2021, 09:14:30 AM »
Amazon UK. It doesn't even appear in Amazon Spain, and I can't order it in the UK page. I just ordered it via Amazon US

It is on Amazon.es. Check out my Author Page https://www.amazon.es/Graham-Evans/e/B07PY977QB/ref=dp_byline_cont_pop_book_1 Can you cancel your order from the US?

Offline Yuber Okami

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2021, 11:11:47 AM »
It is on Amazon.es. Check out my Author Page https://www.amazon.es/Graham-Evans/e/B07PY977QB/ref=dp_byline_cont_pop_book_1 Can you cancel your order from the US?

Wow!
Yes, I could cancel it. You just saved me 12 €!

Offline Trebian

• Bookworm
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2021, 11:13:06 AM »
Wow!
Yes, I could cancel it. You just saved me 12 €!

Hey! Go mad! Spend it on one of my other books!  lol

Offline graydebowen

• Assistant
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2021, 12:34:36 PM »
Some rules Qs:
pg 28 card use,line 1: 2-6 cards are the maximum and minimum card plays for an activation set.  Last line same paragraph a player cannot end their turn without playing at least 1 card.  I assume you must play 2-6 but if you only have 1 left that is OK.  I am also assuming that air asset runs of cards could be more than 6 (although unlikely).
pg 66 air strike examples;  medium bombers roll 436221 but put 12 blast markers; I only see 5* hits at 2+.  Light bombers roll 436221 with 4 blast markers at 4+. I only see 2 hits.  Rules state 1 blast per hit

Offline Trebian

• Bookworm
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2021, 01:35:44 PM »
Thanks for taking the time tov read the rules and ask questions.

Some rules Qs:
pg 28 card use,line 1: 2-6 cards are the maximum and minimum card plays for an activation set.  Last line same paragraph a player cannot end their turn without playing at least 1 card.  I assume you must play 2-6 but if you only have 1 left that is OK.  I am also assuming that air asset runs of cards could be more than 6 (although unlikely).

The maximum cards you can play is the Army Effectiveness, which has a maximum value of 6 or a minimum value of 2. The use of "minimum" refers to Army Effectiveness not card playing. You can choose to play only one card regardless of your Army Effectiveness. And you are right on the Off Table asset cards. They are not part of the card suit run, and are an adjunct to playing a Joker.

pg 66 air strike examples;  medium bombers roll 436221 but put 12 blast markers; I only see 5* hits at 2+.  Light bombers roll 436221 with 4 blast markers at 4+. I only see 2 hits.  Rules state 1 blast per hit

Rules state one blast marker per "pip" greater than the base score for the type of plane. 6 is 5 "pips" more than 1.

Hope that is clear.

Trebian

Offline graydebowen

• Assistant
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2021, 05:53:56 AM »
I played some games in 6mm.  A bit fiddly but it worked out OK.  https://blackshawgaming.wordpress.com/2021/05/01/for-whom-the-dice-rolls-in-6mm/

Offline Trebian

• Bookworm
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2021, 08:48:10 AM »
Great report! I will pick up on your comments in due course - doing a Zoom conference today. Is it okay to post links to the blog from Facebook and TMP if you haven't already?

Offline graydebowen

• Assistant
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2021, 10:03:31 AM »
Link as you feel fit although it is already linked on TMP