Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 12:04:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689750
  • Total Topics: 118293
  • Online Today: 632
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Warriors of the Reconquista! Grandmaster Order of Calatrava 08/02/2023  (Read 29256 times)

Offline Maniac

• Scientist
Typically when you order a 3D print they remove the supports themselves prior to shipping.  With Resin printers I would recommend this as it is easier to get a smooth removal before setting the resin under the UV light.  This will still leave some bits to clean up after, but less likely to take small chunks out if you do it this way.

Resin printing is not push a button and go.  It is also very messy with unique needs (it requires ppe that FDM does not).
On time, on target, or the next one's free

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
They are a bit special. I'd love to have one in my hand to see what's what.

Unfortunately I don't have a 3D printer, have even less of an idea of what exactly to do with a 3D printer to get to to erm.... print etc etc.  lol

Are the models available from anywhere to buy printed out?

Hi Darrell, I’ve got some on the way, I’ll see if I can send you a spare over to have a look at.   There is a definite need for UK based 3d printing services and I know that various people are looking at developing this.

From what I’ve seen, I’d agree with the comment that running a 3d printer is almost like a hobby in its own right.  I won’t be getting one soon but will definitely look into local printing options.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Hi Darrell, I’ve got some on the way, I’ll see if I can send you a spare over to have a look at.   There is a definite need for UK based 3d printing services and I know that various people are looking at developing this.

That's really kind of tyou James and if you have any spare I would love to see/feel etc.... that just sounded wrong but you know what I mean lol

From what I’ve seen, I’d agree with the comment that running a 3d printer is almost like a hobby in its own right.  I won’t be getting one soon but will definitely look into local printing options.

I've been thinking about it for making terrain.... maybe even commercially but I'm really don't know enough to invest. not only that, in making the models, I would not at all be certain of what would print and what would be a damp squib. I need to find out more but it's time away from the painting desk  ??? :o ???

Offline Tonhel

• Mad Scientist
The third knight is almost done. I just need to base it. Although not so happy about the horse. I tried painting a black horse and alas it was way more difficult than I expected. So I have to redo the horse when I am better in painting black horses lol.

Now a question: I really like those printed Spanish 11th century troops, but what would you think would be great to have 3d designed? Even if you don't have a 3D printer and have zero interest in such a printer.  ;)

I find it difficult. I was thinking about personal retinues for the three leaders of the third crusade. Each retinue around 10 men. I.e King Philippe II Auguste with his standard bearer, a couple of household knights and etc.

I am interested in what you think :)

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
Re: Warriors of the Reconquista! (07/05/2021 - A question ;-))
« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2021, 05:44:51 PM »
For me, the last stand of some huscarls at Hastings.

Offline Tonhel

• Mad Scientist
Re: Warriors of the Reconquista! (07/05/2021 - A question ;-))
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2021, 08:55:58 PM »
For me, the last stand of some huscarls at Hastings.

Yes, that would be nice.  ;)

Update time.

I've taken the time to take pictures of the knight I finished last week. A random Spanish knight.  ;) (Is the picture not do dark?)

Now I am working on a couple of infantry, that will become the start of my retinue lead by Berenguer Ramon II "the Fratricide", who received imo a very cool miniature.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 08:58:04 PM by Tonhel »

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
Re: Warriors of the Reconquista! (11/05/2021 Finished another knight)
« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2021, 04:55:52 PM »
Wow! These are amazing. I have an FDM printer which is great for terrain, but have been nervous about the toxicity with resin printers.

PS: How does the base file scale with other manufacturers like Gripping Beast or Perry? Did you have to rescale at all? Thanks for the info!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 05:04:29 PM by axabrax »

Offline Tonhel

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2021, 06:41:33 PM »
Wow! These are amazing. I have an FDM printer which is great for terrain, but have been nervous about the toxicity with resin printers.

PS: How does the base file scale with other manufacturers like Gripping Beast or Perry? Did you have to rescale at all? Thanks for the info!

I can't say much about the toxicity? I try to keep the room well ventilated and don't stay in the room when it's printing. Atleast I don't smell anything.

At 100% they are much bigger than the footsore Normans, but those are also a bit small. They are a bit taller than Victrix Saxons and Vikings. Although the heads of the Victrix mini's are bigger.

I am now working on a couple of infantry. When finished I will post scale pictures with Footsore and Victrix.

I have also printed the infantry at 90% for use in Swordpoint. Now they are more or less the same size as the Footsore Normans. But Footsore Normans have bigger hands. Scale pictures will follow when I painted a Swordpoint base.

I think for the best match with Victrix would be printing on size 95%. I will certainly do a test print on that scale when I have finished the ones I've printed now.

Offline Tonhel

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2021, 10:15:24 AM »
Update:

My first base for my cavalry unit is ready. It's a casualt scene.

The pictures are way to dark. Next time I will try with a white background, so the colours look more as I painted it :D

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Re: Warriors of the Reconquista! (02/06/2021 Added a casualty scene)
« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2021, 10:44:34 AM »
Lovely piece  :-*

Offline Tonhel

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2021, 11:42:55 AM »
Lovely piece  :-*

Thank you! The next one will be painted as you adviced in another thread.  ;)

Here are pictures in daylight.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2021, 12:13:17 PM »
Excellent  :-*

I'm very impressed by the shape of the Caballeros Hidalgos' shield, it's exactly the right shape with the convex form.  8)

Offline abu iskander

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #57 on: June 02, 2021, 04:49:22 PM »
Really lovely printing and painting, Tonhel. Seeing this thread for the first time and look forward to seeing more!

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #58 on: June 03, 2021, 07:41:21 AM »
Nice vignette and excellent painting.
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #59 on: June 03, 2021, 11:04:12 AM »
Really tremendous. May I ask, are the figures quite fragile and brittle?  I ask because in the past I've bought some resin figures from a manufacturer, and although the figures have been extremely well-detailed and very sharp, they have been very easily broken.