Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:34:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686451
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 1898 Miniatures Legion Etrangere - New range  (Read 28496 times)

Offline marco55

• Mastermind
Re: 1898 Miniatures Legion Etrangere - New range
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2021, 01:26:31 AM »
I agree, the new FFL figures are very, Very nicely done.

However, I will echo some other comments, about the non-FFL units that did a lot of the fighting, and from a wargamer's point-of-view, are seriously overlooked by companies for ranges. I think that rather than add yet another Mule-mounted range for FFL, that figures for the non-FFL units be fleshed-out, to make them more available/accessible. But, I could be wrong. ;-)
I agree that having non-FFL units would make the range more interesting. French North and West Africa is rich in material not covered too well. British Africa is covered well, Italian Africa ok. German Africa not so much before WWI and Portuguese Africa not at all. Belgium Africa pretty good by Foundry.
Mark
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 01:31:26 AM by marco55 »

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2021, 03:02:07 PM »
I agree, the new FFL figures are very, Very nicely done.

However, I will echo some other comments, about the non-FFL units that did a lot of the fighting, and from a wargamer's point-of-view, are seriously overlooked by companies for ranges. I think that rather than add yet another Mule-mounted range for FFL, that figures for the non-FFL units be fleshed-out, to make them more available/accessible. But, I could be wrong. ;-)

Totally agree with you...but sorry gentlemen we  are a little bit out of topic now...me first! and sorry it was my fault.... the range owner kindly explain us the reasons why behind that choice...the fact is, in my humble opionion as a wargamer and former producer of minis (colonial "out of the beaten path" 28mm by the way) that there is a brand new range. and that from pictures extremely well designed, painted and photographed so i suppose the most logical thing would be for 1898 Minis to obtain well deserved funds before venturing in expanding it...i'll have a check on the already vast (too much) FFL units from different brands  that i have and see what else i can order...i suppose until that range will be economicaly  succesful it'll be unlogical to add anything else...said that, in case anything else is on the near  queue..maybe please no more Légionaires  ;)

Offline marco55

• Mastermind
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2021, 04:06:53 PM »
Totally agree with you...but sorry gentlemen we  are a little bit out of topic now...me first! and sorry it was my fault.... the range owner kindly explain us the reasons why behind that choice...the fact is, in my humble opionion as a wargamer and former producer of minis (colonial "out of the beaten path" 28mm by the way) that there is a brand new range. and that from pictures extremely well designed, painted and photographed so i suppose the most logical thing would be for 1898 Minis to obtain well deserved funds before venturing in expanding it...i'll have a check on the already vast (too much) FFL units from different brands  that i have and see what else i can order...i suppose until that range will be economicaly  succesful it'll be unlogical to add anything else...said that, in case anything else is on the near  queue..maybe please no more Légionaires  ;)
As a former manufacturer wouldn't you look at if they are not going to expand the range many would not bother to buy it if the range is going to be incomplete.I think Iron Duke Miniatures,Footsore and Galloping Major are the best with their ranges having depth.Of course they may have much more funding available.I guess you can look at it both ways.
Mark

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2021, 05:27:18 PM »
My wishlist would include Riffians (they could double as enemies for Spanish, if they ever decide to give a try to the Spanish colonial wars in the Rif), Moroccan and Berbers, of course.

Offline marco55

• Mastermind
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2021, 07:05:01 PM »

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2021, 07:34:13 PM »
My wishlist would include Riffians (they could double as enemies for Spanish, if they ever decide to give a try to the Spanish colonial wars in the Rif), Moroccan and Berbers, of course.
Sure...Moroccans and Rifian rebels could be very interesting ..but taking into account that 1898 Miniaturas guys use to make a deep  scientific research before the apperance of their subjects (which is rare and very good way of designing minis above all if not belonging to British Military History ) they will discover that weapons (and consequently pouches and equipments) of Rifian Rebels that fought Vs your nice Alcantara horsemen during the Twenties ecc are, for the majority, different from those sported by Moroccans or Rifians who confronted the classical Beau Jeste type Légionaires...

Offline marco55

• Mastermind
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2021, 07:53:14 PM »
Photos from the 1909 campaign.
Mark

Offline Siaba

• Scientist
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2021, 11:14:15 AM »
It's not our priority at all, believe me. Fortunately Rafael and I have both successful business –Rafael a celebrated wargames store and myself a military history publishing– so we can afford to make the miniatures we want, regardless the sales.  :D

Any chance to have their opponents in miniatures, one day ?  :)
"The enemy? His sense of duty was no less than yours, I deem. You wonder what his name is, where he came from. And if he was really evil at heart. What lies or threats led him on this long march from home. If he would not rather have stayed there ... in peace. War will make corpses of us all."

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2021, 01:39:08 PM »
Any chance to have their opponents in miniatures, one day ?  :)

I think they’ll need to be identified first.

Offline Armstrong47

• Librarian
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2021, 07:43:06 PM »
Any news on when these chaps will be available from Empress Minis in the UK?
"We've got 'em now,boys!!"
G A Custer,Sunday afternoon 25th June 1876

Offline marco55

• Mastermind
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2021, 08:05:31 PM »
And Badger in the US?
Mark

Offline Paul @ Empress Miniatures

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2021, 08:56:58 AM »
Will Empress Miniatures carry them in the UK with your other ranges?  (Too many horror stories now of additional charges being levied to risk a purchase from any EU-based store.   ::) )

Just waiting for the stock to arrive and then we will announce them. Should not be too long to wait  ;)

Empress Miniatures may also add a pack or two of famous, very British characters.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 08:58:58 AM by Paul @ Empress Miniatures »

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2021, 09:58:43 AM »
Empress Miniatures may also add a pack or two of famous, very British characters.

Intriguing..... would you care to elaborate? Perhaps another hint?

Offline Paul @ Empress Miniatures

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2021, 10:04:10 AM »
Not sure how much more of a hint I can give but here goes;

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2021, 01:25:54 PM »
El Khazi?

A reappearance of Laurel and Hardy would surprise no-one.