Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:11:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: AKULA’s After the Bomb project 1980s imagination - pg31 Police Vans  (Read 56377 times)

Offline trev

• Mad Scientist
    • The Bits Box
Re: AKULA’s After the Bomb project - 1980s UK imagination
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2021, 04:45:11 PM »
If I remember correctly the model village in Bourton-on-the-Water has a model village itself but maybe that is getting too recursive.  :D

Offline Ewan

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2021, 04:52:37 PM »
You might find this book of interest

Online Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2021, 05:10:06 PM »
If I remember correctly the model village in Bourton-on-the-Water has a model village itself but maybe that is getting too recursive.  :D

Does the model village in the model village have its own model village too? And does that one... 

Never mind, my head hurts now.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2021, 06:24:53 PM »
Looking forward to seeing this develop. I like your inspiration sources.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2021, 09:51:51 PM »
Not got enough to do with recreating Westeros?  lol

This sounds very cool though.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2021, 05:15:54 AM »

Does the model village in the model village have its own model village too? And does that one... 

Never mind, my head hurts now.

The road to madness rises beyond.....

Does Birdland feature a mini birdland replete with tiny penguins?

Why did Sir Peter Scott reside there for a period? Was he planning to camouflage the whole village in a Western Approaches camouflage scheme or did he indeed believe the old stories that Loch Ness and Gloucestershire were linked by an underground branch of the Windrush?

Was the Laurie Lee that strode the banks of the Windrush in the 1960s merely an animatronic version of the noted author and Spanish Civil War veteran, commissioned to lure in tourists and add a degree of realism to what was already becoming a somewhat twee locale?

Would it make a better setting for Carnevale resting on its soubriquet as the Venice of the Cotswalds?

What made Harry Oakey’s sausages so moreish? Was it the sawdust, the breadcrumbs? Or some infernal and other worldly condiment he had entered into a Faustian pact to acquire?  Inquiring minds must know!

Plus there’s a fiver in it for anyone who finds my toy tractor in the Windrush that I hurled from my pram at a tender age.  :)
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2021, 08:03:10 PM »
Thank you everyone for your comments...I honestly wasn’t sure if anyone would be interested tbh but your posts will keep me motivated  :D

Not got enough to do with recreating Westeros?  lol

This sounds very cool though.

Nah....need another project just to keep me fresh  :)

What about setting in the town you live?...or where you were brought up? Or even a recognisable city? You could make specific scenery from your town?

Part of the plan  ;)

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2021, 08:24:02 PM »
Ok, part two....the map and surroundings....

This is intentionally a roughly draw representation of the locations and major roads....could be a bit off...and minor roads and country lanes are missing  ;)

I’ll look to add something that looks more like an old OS map at some point, but this is really from the perspective of a junior officer, unfamiliar with the local area...so basically it’s what he has cobbled together from his NCOs, and any locals to hand.

Place names are intentionally fictionalised...I appreciate it would be easy to show your geographical knowledge and give the real place names, but try to avoid...just trying to avoid actual locations appearing on google searches with descriptions of a nuclear attack  ;)

The following is the basic info that the junior officer has managed to piece together from local sources and garbled radio communications....designed to give a bit of a feel for the region...not saying everything mentioned will come into play.

Place descriptions

Aldcastle
Medieval walled city, major railway station, hospital, centre of regional government. Army barracks. Regional police HQ. Racecourse. Believed to have been largely destroyed by a single bomb (est. 500kt airburst) and the firestorm that followed.

Ashwood
Medium-sized village, doctors surgery, small police station. Small airfield (ex-RAF WW2 grass strip) possible private light aircraft. Farm on west side towards Stonebridge (pigs).

Barcaster
Small town, doctors surgery, police station, brewery. Presumed badly irradiated by the Aldcastle bomb, possible fire damage, plus fallout from Woolton.

Birchwold (RAF)
Radar station near Easthampton. Base believed destroyed by an airburst (500Kt?)

Dundale
Small market town, doctors surgery, police station. Couple small farms nearby. Airfield (ex-RAF WW2 bomber field) concrete runways, hangars, light private aircraft. Possible machine shop at airfield.

Easthampton
Large town (seaside resort), hospital, police station, harbour, fishing boats (?), Factory (makes coaches). Town likely heavily damaged and irradiated due to bomb that exploded over RAF Birchwold.

Foxwell (RAF)
Radar station near Oxmouth. Base believed destroyed by an airburst (500Kt?)

Hazelbrook
Market town, local government council offices, two hospitals. Just to the west of the town is a racecourse and stables. Two miles north of the town is the Army Driver Training Centre. Possible fire damage and fallout from attack on nearby Oxmouth. Farms nearby ...uncertain of condition or exact location.

Hopdale
Medium-sized town, hospital. Likely in the path of substantial fallout from multiple destinations near Woolton to the southwest.

Kinington
Small market town. Police station, doctors surgery. To the east of the town is a racecourse/stables, and a prison. 5 miles to the north east is a former WW2 airfield (concrete runway) believed to be used for civilian use. Town is likely to have been heavily irradiated by fallout from the bombs that hit Woolton (to the southwest).

Kirkbeck
Small hamlet at foot of the moors. No strategic importance.

Langfield
Small market town. Police station, small hospital.

Loxham (RAF)
The runway is used by the RN for training pilots as a backup field. The bulk of the base is now used by the Royal Artillery as an ordnance park.

Market Overton
Small market town. Police station, Doctors surgery. Surrounded by 4 small farms (2 crops, 1 pig, 1 cows)

Marsby
Small market town. Police station, Doctors surgery. Several farms nearby. Racecourse with stables just to the west of the town. Four miles to the west of the town is RAF Loxham. About 5 miles to the north of the town (midway between Marsby and Northdale) is the Regional Police Headquarters.

Middleport
Large town, port facilities and industrial chemical plant. Large police station, hospital. Believed to be completely destroyed (est. 1 megaton ground strike).

Moorton
Market town. Police station, small hospital. To the north of the town is an abandoned WW2 POW camp. A number of farms nearby. The area may have been in the path of the fallout from the Aldcastle bomb.

Newhalgh
Large town, police station, hospital. Industrial/engineering facilities. Likely to have taken substantial damaged from the Middleport attack, plus fallout from this and the Ostcrick bomb.

Northdale
Small market town, police station, small hospital. Local government office. Surrounded by farms. About 5 miles to the south of the town (midway between Northdale and Marsby) is the Regional Police Headquarters. 5 miles to the west of the town is RAF Ottermere. The condition of the town is uncertain, possible fallout from bombs at nearby Osrick.

Oakington (RAF)
Radar station and Early Warning post. Believed to be completely destroyed by multiple airbursts (2-3 x 500Kt).

Ostcrick (Army Garrison)
Large Army base, headquarters. Believed to have been completely destroyed by multiple airbursts (2-3 x 500Kt).

Ottermere (RAF)
Air base. Used for flight training. Status uncertain, possible fallout from bombs at nearby Ostcrick.

Oulwich
City, several police stations, large hospital. Steelworks and multiple machine workshops. Believed to be completely destroyed (est. 1 megaton ground strike).

Oxmouth
City, large police station, hospital. Port facilities, fishing boats. Believed to have been destroyed by several bombs (est. 500Kt each)

Portswick
Small town (seaside resort). Police station, hospital. Port, fishing boats. Likely fallout from multiple bombs that hit RAF Oakington to the southwest. Farms nearby ...uncertain of condition or exact location?

Redbrook
Village. Doctors surgery. Small farm (cows). Damaged buildings/fires caused by the Aldcastle bomb, probable fallout.

Ridgeford
Small market town. Police station, Doctors surgery. Boatyard on river. Coal mine just north of the town. Probable some fallout from the Woolton and Oulwich bombs.

Southden
Small town. Police station, hospital. Racecourse to south of town, stables.  Probable in the path of substantial fallout from multiple destinations near Woolton to the south.

Stonebridge
Village. Doctors surgery. Engineering workshop (moulds/tools) on north side of river. Farm on north side (sheep/few cows) plus stables. Another farm to north east (pigs). Stone bridge only crossing other than a disused railway viaduct (brick/iron) to the west of the village. Farm south side of river, east of the village toward Ashwood (pigs).

Thornleigh
Village. Doctors surgery. Several small farms to the south of the village. Moorland starts to the north of the village (snow blocks the north bound roads up to 2 months per year).

Weston (RAF)
Minimal RAF presence (Emergency field for training flights) but v.long concrete runway. Possible fallout from Aldcastle or oulwich bombs, may be abandoned now?

Whitehaven
Coastal town. Police station, Doctors surgery. Harbour, some fishing boats. Possible some fallout from Oxmouth bombs. Farms nearby.

Woolton
Large city, several large police stations, at least a couple of hospitals. Major railway station. Manufacturing facilities. Mostly destroyed after one, maybe two bombs in the 500Kt to 1 megaton range) heavily irradiated.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 10:57:00 AM by AKULA »

Offline trev

• Mad Scientist
    • The Bits Box
Nice map.  I swear I've been on holiday to some of those places.  ;)

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
That is a great start (though I was surprised you did not use a modern version of Westeros ^__^).

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Thought I’d post a couple of WIPs...currently prepping some newly arrived minis, but been playing about with what I had lying around in the meantime. All still need a bit of tidying up, but I thought this thread needed some figures  ;)

First up a mounted policeman...I know that Offensive and Ainsty both have some options, but I’ve got loads of sprues and green stuff on my work table currently...

The horse is Perry, the rider is a Gripping Beast Arab, and the riot helmet head is from Anvil Industry

Next up, a couple of hazmat/radiation suited individuals...not likely to be a big part of the game, but I thought they could emerge from one of the command bunkers...perhaps government scientists?

The base figures are a couple of my old space opera sculpts (currently OOP but sold to Hasslefree). The arm with the Geiger counter is a trimmed down perry spear, and the red/green oxygen tanks are the ends from a couple of old paintbrushes. The pole device is a crooked dice security camera stuck on a spare bit of spear.

Offline voltan

• Mastermind
That first photo made me think border reiver before I looked at it properly.
Yvan eht nioj!

Offline Rick F

• Mad Scientist
What an interesting project, looking forward to seeing more. Protect and Survive lol

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Nice conversions.
Are you going to give the horses respirators?

Offline Ragsta

• Scientist
‘Tis a bleak project choice (after watching Threads, The War Game and The Day After anyway!!) but it’s in the safest of hands.
I too did a double take at that first picture until I realised ‘twas a bobby!