Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:38:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686536
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: AKULA’s After the Bomb project 1980s imagination - pg31 Police Vans  (Read 56374 times)

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Must. Resist. Post-Apoc…..

Mrs. GG will not be pleased with me if I try to start another genre but you are making it hard to resist mate. Great work!
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Oldgamer

• Scientist
The mounted police officer reminded me of the Quatermass series that was made in the late 70's, starring Sir John Mills.
It featured mounted police who looked similar to your figure, it was based in a apocalypse impending near future, l might have to try and find it for a nostalgic viewing!

Offline Ewan

• Scientist
The mounted police officer reminded me of the Quatermass series that was made in the late 70's, starring Sir John Mills.
It featured mounted police who looked similar to your figure, it was based in a apocalypse impending near future, l might have to try and find it for a nostalgic viewing!
Quartermass is on Britbox if that helps
https://www.britbox.co.uk/programme/Quatermass_52864

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
Interesting project! I did a similar one in 20mm years ago.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
https://i.imgur.com/v1mUAuv.jpg

Empress do two 'undead' mounted police.
I removed mine from their bases, placed them horizontally
on new bases. If players want to search them (yeuck!) for
ammo, working weapons etc, they can. otherwise they make
nice mood setting scenery.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Nice and gruesome.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Thank you everyone for your comments...helps to keep me motivated  :D

Are you going to give the horses respirators?

No respirators for the horses...or the cows... ;)

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Update...I thought I’d better post some painted figures, as so far Has.been has posted more than me  ;) :)

Some Empress BAOR...

The Army are naturally going to be a force in any ATB (after the bomb) game, given they’ve got the weapons, vehicles, organisation, training etc etc....of course, how long they maintain discipline if some form of government isn’t restored would be an interesting question...would soldiers desert to try to find their family, or would officers/NCOs be able to maintain some form of discipline to keep their unit together? And what happens if different units, desperate for food come across one another...?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 04:38:12 PM by AKULA »

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Very cool. You can do some up in civilian, police, civil defense wardens or older style uniforms to represent militias, deserters, Raider/warlord troopers. Maybe a helmet or head change would help as well.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 07:26:44 AM by commissarmoody »

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Nicely done!

Quote from: AKULA
The Army are naturally going to be a force in any ATB (after the bomb) game, given they’ve got the weapons, vehicles, organisation, training etc etc....of course, how long they maintain discipline if some form of government isn’t restored would be an interesting question...would soldiers desert to try to find their family, or would officers/NCOs be able to maintain some form of discipline to keep their unit together? And what happens if different units, desperate for food come across one another...?

Something like the Army unit in 28 Days Later: sort of sticking to their task but increasingly going off the rails 

My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 0
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline voltan

• Mastermind
It's a good start.

Can't wait to see which aircraft carrier you build.  ;)
Yvan eht nioj!

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Nice start on the BAOR.

Have you ordered the Traffic Warden from Crooked Dice?

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Very cool. You can do some up in civilian, police, civil defense wardens or older style uniforms to represent militias, deserters, Raider/warlord troopers. Maybe a helmet or head change would help as well.

Head swops will very much be the order of the day  :)

Nicely done!

Something like the Army unit in 28 Days Later: sort of sticking to their task but increasingly going off the rails

Exactly ... apart from the pet zombie  ;)

It's a good start.

Can't wait to see which aircraft carrier you build.  ;)

Must...resist... :D

Nice start on the BAOR.

Have you ordered the Traffic Warden from Crooked Dice?

Thanks mate. I haven’t got the threads traffic warden yet, but he is on the shopping list. I’ve already got a couple of the other figures in that photo in the painting queue, and they certainly fit in with what I have in mind.

:)

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Bit more background...this time on possible remnants of the Government, and bunker locations.

Regional Government  HQs

The UK civil defence plan relied upon regional HQs taking over government responsibilities during a nuclear attack, although the standard/state of readiness of these bunkers varied. The North East RGHQ was (by the 1980s) based in a bunker at an old RAF base (on my map this would be c7 miles north of Aldcastle), and although doubtless uncomfortable to remain in for a long period of time, was relatively large (over 4 floors).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regional_seat_of_government#Last_phase_of_Cold_War

While in my campaign, it would have survived the bomb that went off over Aldcastle, the ability of the RGHQ to exert control for a sustained period of time could be questionable - for example, how long would the Regional Police Headquarters near Northdale listen to instructions from someone in a bunker while the local situation deteriorated? Would there be the temptation to let the line go dead, and make your own decisions?

With the main Garrisons on the map having been hit, it’s likely that the lines of communication between the RGHQ bunker and the remaining military would be disjointed at best, or non-existent at worst.

UKWMO Bunkers

The UK Warning & Monitoring Organisation, was manned by members of the ROC Royal Observer Corps, and had a string of much smaller bunkers across the UK. These bunkers were much much smaller than the RGHQ...little more than a room in most cases. In the early 1980s it’s uncertain how many of these posts would have EMP protected communications, as they were in the process of being upgraded.

Once the nuclear exchange had petered out, ROC members would eventually need to venture out, but still have a potentially handy bolt hole.

The following is an excellent site, with loads of details on locations, and what the bunkers looked like.

http://www.ringbell.co.uk/ukwmo/Page221.htm

These posts were organised into smaller sectors, with a lead post (the red dots on the map below).

Plan of York ROC bunker (a Group Control Bunker)

https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/siteassets/home/visit/places-to-visit/york-cold-war-bunker/york-roc-bunker-plan.pdf

https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/york-cold-war-bunker/history/
« Last Edit: May 18, 2023, 10:55:53 AM by AKULA »

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Great background information.

One of the ROC bunkers came on the market recently. I will see if I can find a reference.