Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:47:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: New company: Baraka Games and Miniatures  (Read 7090 times)

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
Re: New company: Baraka Games and Miniatures
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2021, 03:59:08 AM »
By the way if anyone plans to buy the Harris book "France, Spain and the Rif" it is currently on sale half-price for £10.39 from Naval and Military Press in the UK.  I may just buy a copy!

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2021, 05:07:57 AM »
It’s a pity the Berbers didn’t have an airforce. I’d be happy with a Rif Raf.

They tried to have one, and in fact they bought a couple of planes -I don't remember the models; check it later and tell you- and hired to French pilots to teach them. One of the planes actually flew from Argel to the Rif. It could make for a fun what if!  lol

Offline marco55

• Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2021, 11:37:49 AM »
By the way if anyone plans to buy the Harris book "France, Spain and the Rif" it is currently on sale half-price for £10.39 from Naval and Military Press in the UK.  I may just buy a copy!

I have it saved on Amazon but the cheapest one I can buy is about $38 with shipping.I'll have to check out the place you say.It would depend on the shipping which is getting out of hand .
Mark

Offline marco55

• Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2021, 02:54:31 PM »
I checked the site out.Great prices but the shipping is a killer.I ordered 3 books (about 26 GBP) but the shipping was like 45 GBP for tracked air.I could have went for surface which was about 12 GBP but would take 2-4 months to get here and I don't think it is tracked.I might as well get the books here because with free shipping it comes out about the same.I know all shipping is going up fast but in the long run as a lot of people won't buy from other countries because of the cost.
Mark

Offline marco55

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2021, 11:37:48 AM »
Hidalgo-Beneito Miniaturas just came out with this beautiful vignette.   https://www.planetfigure.com/threads/hidalgo-beneito-new-releases-pre-order.315186/#post-1135256
Mark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2021, 07:49:33 AM »
The painting that inspired the vignette is based on an incident during the operations to recover the initiative in the region around Melilla, that started in February 1924 and continued up to October of the same year. The goal was to secure the areas of the Beni Sicar, one of the kabilas that did stay loyal to Spain. One of the better known -nowadays, at least- events was the "Blocao de la Muerte" (Death's Blockhouse). The blockhouse was part of the lines of outposts in the outskirts of Mount Gurugú, which dominated Melilla. There, in Dar Hamed, there was a blockhouse, with a garrison formed by twenty men of the Batallón Disciplinario de Melilla (Penal Battalion of Melilla), under the command of the lieutenant José Fernández Ferrer; the garrison was reinforced by 14 legionarios under the command of lance corporal Suceso Terrero López, all of them volunteers. The Riffian army in number of 600, supported by two captured 75mm mountain howitzers -which ended the action firing on open sights, at less than 50 meters from the position- attacked on September 14th-15th, 1924. Finally, on the night of 15th September, the last defenders were killed in a vicious hand to hand combat, when the Riffians assaulted the position with the support of the guns, after the defenders had spent all their ammunition.

Neither the Penal troops, nor the legionarios were rewarded postumously. The Spanish government did not want to give publicity to a combat that only happened because the general that commanded the operation, general of brigade Carlos Tuero, blotched the deployment and over-extended his troops. He was demoted and tried by a military court of inquiry, by the way.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 07:59:08 AM by Antonio J Carrasco »

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2021, 04:51:36 PM »
More photos of the upcoming range:

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2021, 06:00:39 PM »
 :-* :-* :-*

Offline Armstrong47

• Librarian
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2021, 09:28:25 AM »
Looks like a new project is looming!! ;)
"We've got 'em now,boys!!"
G A Custer,Sunday afternoon 25th June 1876

Offline Dashetal

• Bookworm
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2021, 08:28:58 PM »
By the way if anyone needs some of the Ansel Rif Raf miniatures like Chris mentioned,  this company (https://www.templarwargames.com/) has enough to provide the missing Spanish Legion and the Rif's. Between Askari, Rif Raf and Empress I had enough to do a small project but these new figures are too gorgeous to ignore. Rif Raf never completed the planned line up and our new friends are sculpting a beautiful line that looks like it will be all comprehensive. Hope enough people throw money at them so the complete lineup goes forward.

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2021, 10:02:57 PM »
The miniatures look excellent : do we know who sculpted them ?

It will also be interesting to see how compatible they are size-wise with the existing ranges from Empress and others.

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2021, 06:12:00 AM »
The miniatures look excellent : do we know who sculpted them ?

It will also be interesting to see how compatible they are size-wise with the existing ranges from Empress and others.

I'll ask and will tell you something as soon as I know.

Update: Yes, they are compatible (Empress and Baraka, I mean). My mate is searching for a comparative photo, and will send it to me shortly. I will post it.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 06:22:17 AM by Antonio J Carrasco »

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2021, 06:54:03 AM »
Here is a photo that my mate sent to me. It is not very good, but it can give you an idea of how they will compare with Empress. I have been told they will take better photos, and will include models from other manufacturers, for a more exhaustive comparative.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2021, 07:23:42 AM »
Not bad
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2021, 10:00:16 AM »
I have some renders of the upcoming Riffian fighters. They are not definitive, though (posing and weapons details are still a work in progress, and will change before the definitive sculpts are sent for casting) but I have received permission from the chaps at Baraka to show you the first drafts.

These are, I insist, works in progress and will be subjected to changes.

By the way, they have told me that among their plans is also release French troops for 1920s Morocco, for the operations in 1924-1927 in the frontier between the Rif and the French protectorate. These will be released once the Spanish and Riffians are finished, though, so not earlier than 2022.