Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:09:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: "Never trust anyone on the Frontier" an ...epic NWF Campaign  (Read 96184 times)

Offline CPT Shanks

• Scientist
Re: "Never trust anyone on the Frontier" an ...epic NWF Campaign
« Reply #210 on: August 20, 2021, 05:24:03 AM »
FROM: BGnl McQueen J., Force Commander Black Mountain Expedition
TO: BGnl Ruff-Husband, Commander 1st Brigade Peshawar Field Force
Reference:

Ruffy,

Currently my only position at Serai is nervous subaltern who managed to lock himself in a tower and not get shot b'gawd.
I've two columns in the field as well as a force at Oghi to contend with this upstart Gul Akbar, not mention some rogue agent running about the Black Mountains on some damnable lion hunt? Wot,wot.Doesn't this fool realize there is a punitive expedition on! Damnable says I. Damnable.
No sir, I appreciate your offer but I've two highly capable colonels combing the valleys for any information with a brigade to strike with when the whereabouts of this insolent imp are ascertained. I'll have Channers and his boys back before tea on Tuesday, I'm certain of it.

Queeny
"welcome to the world of cascading failure"

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
« Reply #211 on: August 20, 2021, 11:09:05 AM »
Riposte To An Effrontery

FROM: The voice of Civilization AKA: B.Gnl. Ruff-Husband, CO 1st Brigade Peshawar FF

TO: Sardar Gul Akbar

RE: Your latest Vile Effrontery of a Mockery of a Sham

Your recent crime against humanity and the manner in which you communicate it are of such monumental scale that they demand immediate response, which I have taken forthwith.  Please see attached photographs (a perk of the aforementioned Civilization) showing the burning of Dargai in retribution for your kidnapping of General Channers as well as for the egregious tone you take towards the ONE TRUE TEXT, aka: The Sword And The Flame.  You seem to find such impudent mockery of the sacred amusing.  I assure you, the residents of Dargai Village -- INCLUDING YOUR SISTER FARAH AKBAR, WIFE OF THE HEADMAN NAZIM GUL, and their three sons, your nephews RAZA MUHAMMAD, BABA MUHAMMAD, AND GAZA MUHAMMED -- are not currently amused, nor shall they be any time soon -- unless or until you release Brigadier Channers and all of his compatriots unharmed and with those weapons and other possessions which they had on their persons when you first compelled them to become your "guests."  Today it was not "papers" I ordered burned, but an entire village where your close relatives reside.  If Channers & company are not immediately released, it will be the residents -- including those same relations of yours -- who burn next.

Indomitably Yours,

BG SRH, CO 1B Pesh FF -- Loyal Devotee of the True Text, AKA: TSATF

« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 11:12:50 AM by Mad Guru »
"We shall see what wisdom lies beneath my madness!"

Offline Anderson Collection

• Mad Scientist
    • The Anderson Collection
« Reply #212 on: August 20, 2021, 03:07:03 PM »
Wonderful thread :-* :-*

Offline MaleGriffin

• Mastermind
  • Don't bother running.... You'll just die tired....
« Reply #213 on: August 20, 2021, 04:41:42 PM »
One of the best threads ever!
Hoc quoque transibit
Sanguinem sistit semper

Online giorgio

• Scientist
« Reply #214 on: August 21, 2021, 09:09:16 AM »
Ali Mashid surroundings: Naik walks towards Havildar Gul Mast, followed by Omar: "Havildar we've something you could be interested knowing..."

"Bet it’s better for you if it is worth of disturbing me while working" answers the havildar waking up from the ground where he was resting under the shadow of a control tower.
"Sepoy Omar noticed something wrong in a group of Bulewars going southwards to join Omar Khan army. He says they had a strange accent." Said the Naik underscoring that all the responsibility was over sepoy Omar.

"mmh why didn't you stop them?"
"Sir because this stupid saddle goose told me only after they departed" said Naik nervously.
Havildar thought mmmmh that is really suspicious. I will forward the information to Umra's spies, I know he is looking after some panthers trying to return to Waziristan...

Wait, and if he questions me why we let them slip away? We had his enemies and we didn't care to give them to him...nooo too dangerous, I have to take time to decide...

"You fools stupid whiffle whaffle, you drunk too much tamarind syrup and it fulfilled your head. Different accent you say? Omar could not recognize a Buner mule from a camel and now he recognizes the accents! And you stupid Naik encourage him!"Shouted angrily the Havildar "Now you both will stay 2 days without resting to learn how properly controlling caravans and it is better that you'll bring to me enough rupees to calm me down or I will be really very nasty, you can bet it.”

« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 10:27:43 AM by giorgio »

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
« Reply #215 on: August 21, 2021, 09:43:31 AM »
A VISIT TO THE CITADEL OF THE IRON AMIR

AUGUST 1890

The Arg-e-Shahi, or "Citadel of the King" -- commonly known in the Kabul vernacular simply as the "Arg"...

Built by the current King, Abdur Rahman Khan, known as THE IRON AMIR...

On this warm August day a visitor from Afghanistan's South-East Frontier (AKA: India's North-West Frontier) stands waiting for his audience with His Royal Highness The Protector of the Faithful, Despoiler of the Kaffiri Unbelievers, Suppressor of Rebellious Ghilzais, Uzbeks, Tajiks, and Hazaras, and Beautifier of the Land...

ROYAL ADJUTANT: "Mullah Sadullah?"

MULLAH: "As-Salam-u-Alaikum wa-rahmatullahi wa-barakatuh, my son.  I am he."

ROYAL ADJUTANT: "Walaikum a-salam.  His Royal Highness the Amir will see you now."

MULLAH: "Peace be upon you, oh Great King from over the Mountains.
Truly it is as the Faithful say: the light of the Prophet
does shine brightly from your eyes."

ABDUR RAHMAN KHAN: "And also upon you.
Peace that is, not the light of the Prophet from your
ass-kissing mouth.  They tell me you have something to trade.
I am a busy Amir, so tell me quick.
What is it exactly?"

MULLAH: "Your retainers speak true, Great King. I come as
the humble emissary of the rising devout Malik
of the tribal belt between your Kingdom and
that of the Great White Queen's Heathen slaves.
Sarban Khan is his name and his word is law
from Dir to the Malakand Pass."

ADBUR RAHMAN KHAN: "Don't try to impress me.
Surely you know I have been known to take dumps
which cover more territory than that.  What does
this half-a-loaf of naan offer to the man who
built this Palace and from its throne rules more
men and more mountains than the grains of sand
he will trod on if you add up all the
footsteps of his lifetime?"

THE MULLAH LEANS CLOSE AND
WHISPERS TO THE AMIR...

AND THOUGH THE PARTICIPANTS
ARE COMPLETELY UNAWARE...

DUE TO THE INESCAPABLE LAWS OF
ARCHITECTURAL  ACOUSTICS,
EACH WORD IS OVERHEARD...

BY A PAIR OF EARS POISED
WITHIN A WINDOW ABOVE THE
PALACE SAHN (courtyard)...

MULLAH: "I shall tell you now, oh Great King..."

MEANWHILE, 150 MILES EAST-SOUTH-EAST,
A NONDESCRIPT OX-DRAWN CART & SPARE MULE
HEAD NORTH TOWARDS
THE KHYBER PASS...

As seen here in another set of Silver Prints --

-- also taken during his 1889-1890 "Impressions of the Faithful" tour:

DOES THE CART CARRY.... POMEGRANATES?

...OPIUM?  ...RIFLES?

...OR BRITISH SUBALTERN HAMPTON FITZROY.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 06:48:34 PM by Mad Guru »

Offline Umra Khan

• Scientist
« Reply #216 on: August 21, 2021, 03:23:44 PM »
Zibbib Khan at the Khyber Pass

Arrived at the Khyber Pass Zibbib Khan goes in search of an old friend of his, the Havildar Gul Mast who serves in the Khyber Rifles. Zibbib Khan knows that Gul Mast is stationed with his company of Malikdin Khel Afridis in the Alì Masjid fortress, but entering there is not easy and can arise suspicion. He also knows that Gul Mast controls the caravans crossing the pass at Sultan Khel, a village a few miles from Ali Masjid. And there  Zibbib is waiting for him, hidden in a corner of the Main Caravan Road ...

"Old cutthroat, haven't your enemies killed you yet?"
"Who is it that addresses the Malikdin Khel Havildar Gul Mast with this tone? ......     for the Prophet's beard.... Zibbib Khan I didn't recognize you ... but the smell of women parfum you carry around is unmistakable ... usually you run behind the prostitutes in the seedy alleys of Lahore ... what do you want from me? I'm on duty and I don't have much time to dedicate to you ... "

"Gul Mast you stinking old goat did you forget about the adventures we had together in the Bara Valley when you and I ransacked the caravans to Kohat ..? Your griffin expression hasn't changed even under this uniform ... you are always a thief ... Allah has never deprived you of the pleasure of theft ... "
"Zibbib we were young and robbing the caravans was a noble and profitable business ... now the controls of the Ferenghees have increased the controls  and to get around I had to enlist with other brothers in this Regiment. Why are you here what do you want from me? ... "
"Gul Mast I'm looking for 2 people ... they are 2 young men  ... they travel in a caravan with some unbelievers Bunerwals ... you have surely seen them,  are men in black, the color of clothes that most followers of the False Creed use. .. "

"Zibbib I haven't seen anyone who looks like the description you gave me ... How much is there to gain from this story for your poor friend Gul?

"Old goat do you forget our friendship for a fistful of rupees?, May Allah make you have short arms so that you cannot collect the coins from the ground ... I offer you 20 rupees for this  information"
"Hahaha 20 rupees, old Gul Mast is not a fool ... if you offer me 20 rupees it means that the information is worth at least 100 ..."

"I'll give you 50 rupees which is the equivalent to a year of Ferenghees' pay for your services"
"Thank you my friend ... Gul Mast takes the bag of rupees and slips it into the inside pocket of his jacket ..... no one has passed here who matches who you are looking for ... but listen to the advice of an old man friend ... if I wanted to move in these lands, without being seen or found, I would take the pass of Bori and leave this caravan road  full of prying eyes ... "
Zibbib Khan thinks to himself ... true ,how stupid ... the Bori pass ... from there to the Bazar Valley and then down to the south ...
"Thank you old friend, may Allah protect you from your enemies ... I'm going south"
"Goodbye Zibbib Khan may you never be poor"

Gul Mast joins his platoon and continues to control the passage of the caravans in the Khyber pass ... now he is more peaceful he has 50 rupees ... well I got anyway my rupees without risking Umra's vengeance. Now better dropping  something in the pockets of my guys, just to keep their mouths well sealed....that stupid Naik and his sepoy...at this time I could have been rich and famous, if those met by the Naik down  at the pass were the prey that Umra is looking for ... but now better keep quiet or Umra will cut my throat ...

Zibbib Khan sits in the shadows in the same place ehere he was at the beginning ... he is in no hurry ... he knows very well where to intercept his prey ... he relaxes and takes a metal box from the kummerbund, inside there are some Ferenghees cigarettes ... I  deserve one ... even if it costs me 50 rupees ...
« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 03:51:16 PM by Umra Khan »

Online giorgio

• Scientist
« Reply #217 on: August 22, 2021, 08:22:14 AM »
From Br  Gen Davenport in Bannu to Lt Gen Bindon Blood in Rawalpindi

Sir, my best respects to you. I am happy to inform you that following your explicit order I have reinstalled Col Fullerton in charge of his flying column, that I have reconstituted with same units of his last campaign. Actually, he’s directing towards Spinwam where he will finish the operations started last month, what you have generously defined a brilliant successfully campaign.
We have been informed that near the village of Spinwam, where he is actually directed, many Afridis tribesmen and volunteers are rallying under Omar the Beauty’s flags and we had to anticipate they moves before too many tribesmen are rallied.  It seems that previous operations to pacify the area just brought revenge desire by this violent ruthless bandits.
Col Fullerton has enough experience in this kind of creating inconveniences to this uncivilized rebels and my intention is also to give an indirect message to Umra Khan to submit without further violence.
It was reported to me by our Guides that great ferment is provided among the followers of the new rule due to the news, probably fake, of the return from Kabul of Mulehead's son who will lead them to unify all Punjab under the new rule laws. They speak about an alliance between Waziris and Bunewals.
I can reasonably say that Fullerton will create the maximum inconvenience and total bankruptcy for these uncivilized bandits.

Yours Faithfully
Br Gen Davenport
« Last Edit: August 22, 2021, 08:29:56 AM by giorgio »

Online giorgio

• Scientist
« Reply #218 on: August 22, 2021, 10:45:54 AM »
August 2nd, few miles south of Nadar river:
“Abdul Kareem you are the most saddle goose of all Waziristan! What had you in your heads! How could you be so stupid to load all the food in only one camel. Now that it is drawn in the river crossing, we have nothing to eat.!

“Oh please Muletail I’m enough desperate for that, but don’t be angry, the Ruler who leads our steps will help us one time more!” Said Abdul Kareem aka Mustafa.
“you know what , I will unwrap the holy flag we prepared and Saddam will bear it in front of us”
“what you foolish whiffle-whaffle, and why not also  a trumpet parade to announce to every Pashtun we are arriving?”grumbled Ghaazi Muletail El Komiss aka Hussein

“Oh Hussein you are so grumbletonian! It was sewed with an ambiguous sentence “One Rule” so we can be misrecognized as good pilgrims of not nominable faith. But look! You see Hussein, the holy flag works! Look that good fellows, they are likely good merchants, not ready to fight so inland in the Umra’s dominions. Saddam wave high our flag! They will see we are devoted pilgrims!
The band arrives close to the pashtuns and Mustafa greeted them:
“The Peace of the True Ruler be with you, we are coming to fulfil a vote and fight under Omar the Beautiful invincible flags; peace to the noble Afridis, nightmare of Ferenghees”
The pathans do not move

Mulehead interrupted his friend:
“Mustafa stop it these are not Afridis”
“Exactly, we are the true owners of these lands , we are Orakzai, we are ally of Umra, but this land are ours”
“sure my friends we did not intend to offend you”

“But your friend did. We are nor the Afridis puppets neither we are mercenaries like you, we fight for our own land”
“Well friends I didn’t mean to offend anybody” said Mustafa “Please Muletail explain, I mean Hussein…”
Mustafa stops and a second of complete silence covers all the pathans. The Orakzai simulate did not notice anything but Muletail was ready to catch an exchange of glances and winks among them.
“Now” he shouted and as a single man all the bunewals was over the Orakzai using their tulwars killing three of them.

The others could not get their jezails and tried in vain to defend themselves but no injuries were done and other 2 Orakzai fell death.

The last one failed again to get the jezail and missed his hit with the tulwar and was eventually killed.
“Well done my friends” said Muletail when they were walking towards Spinwam “Mustafa how many times I told you to call me always Hussein, just to avoid this kind of mistakes and their consequences…”
“Well we fixed the issue” replied Mustafa “and without consequences” we are lucky no one could shoot his jezail”
“Oh let the True Ruler blesses EDNA and SCRUD for that…”said Saddam waving the flag and Mustafa continued:
“in this way it was quick and noiseless, nobody heard it… ”
 “Not really, and not so quickly” said a nasty voice from top of the rocks over our friends”now put gently all your weapons on the ground, fellas”

Muletail had a quick view over there, there were many Afridis but engulfed in a  tiny space, perhaps a volley could decimate them and then a good tulwar job, like with Orazkai, could solve also this situation”

The bunerwals see they are under sight by more than a dozen of jezails and one after the other drop all their weapons. At the end only Muletail and Abdul Kareem keep their guns.
“It seems that yur leaders are deaf, so what doja prefer, fellas? Drop or die, yours is the choice”and all the guns aim to our heroes. Muletail gives a signal to Mustafa to stop it and both drop their weapons.
“Well done my friends. You have dispatched a band of Orazkai, that is not disturbing me, but Umra won’t be happy to know this butchering happened on his lands. You are not the first desperados to try to loot and steal north of Thal and Bannu, but f’sure u’ll be the last one.

“We will bring you to Thal where u’ll be execut’d as example for the other bandits friends of yours.”
“Oh well“said Mustafa smiling “at least we are going to the right direction, Hussein; now I remembered to tell your fake name properly, didn’t I?”
Muletail incinerated him with his eyes. Only relief the flag was wrapped and put back inside the panniers. Mustafa at least on this was right: the ambiguous misunderstanding text was read as a tribute for the Old Book and so the holy flag was preserved and they believed as righteous faithful. More and more warriors are joining them.

“But we are not bandits” replied Muletail “we are pilgrims coming from Kabul to fight under the glorious Omar’s flag, we belong to him now and you cannot touch us” Muletail continues proudly.

“mmmh well we are going to that direction, he will decide! The Ruler has already written in his Book if you will die for a Feringhee’s bullet or Afridis’scimitar. Anglez were scouted returning but this time they won’t find only women and children. And the group moves towards Spimwam while more warriors are still joining them.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2021, 11:03:18 AM by giorgio »

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
« Reply #219 on: August 23, 2021, 12:34:17 AM »
The Rifle Or The Rug

August 1890, the city of Peshawar, bastion of British rule on India's North-West Frontier...

The city is administered by Major General Basil Whistsend, ably advised by his Political Officer, Captain Alexander "Teetotaler" Crane.  The two do not always see eye-to-eye -- such as when Gnl. Whistsend went against Capt. Crane's advice and ordered the entire civilian population of 50,000 men, women & children expelled before dispatching the 1st Brigade of his Divisional Garrison to maneuver in response to Tribal unrest in Tirah and the Black Mountains...

However, following a brief "cooling off" period, Captain Crane was able to convince his commander to let women, children, beggars, and business owners back into the Walled City.

Beggars in particular were allowed back because most of them are on Captain Crane's payroll, serving as "eyes and ears" of the Raj.  It's true, much of the information they deliver is of little or no value, and some of it is completely false -- but from time to time the beggars pluck needles out of haystacks.

Amongst the beggars allowed back in is one who goes by the monicker HARI HOODEEN...

And amongst the business owners allowed back in was a certain rug merchant named Ibrahim Dast, located in the bustling Qissa Khawani Bazaar...

Where the carpets are very colorful indeed...

Earlier today Hari Hoodeen passed on a tidbit of info he'd recently overheard at the aforementioned Carpet Shop.  This exchange was spoken between said proprietor Ibrahim Dast and a visitor to his shop who examined no carpets... did no haggling... and left without purchasing so much as a thread of wool.  Instead he inquired about...

"A caravan that recently left Kabul with two young panthers worth 50,000 Rupees and 25,000 Rupees."

To which Ibrahim Dast replied...

"I have heard from some Bashi that two young men are traveling in a caravan with some pestiferous Bunerwals, followers of the False Rule, look for the black men and you will find your prey."

In light of the unrest currently spreading across the Frontier, this report is enough to warrant further inquiry.  So Capt. Crane dispatches Capt. Gadsen of the 127th Baluchis with a Section of Riflemen to bring the Rug Merchant in question in for questioning...

Ibrahim Dast is deposited in an empty room at the Peshawar High Fort (British HQ) and left to ruminate...

Then taken to see Capt. Crane, the Political...

Who offers him a choice...

CAPT. CRANE: "Ibrahim Dast, I am Crane Sahib, known to your people as
Tshaai Askar.*  You and I both know you recently participated in a
conversation plotting rebellious treason at your place of business.
I will come quickly to the point, as these matters are by nature
very time sensitive and I have no time to waste on pleasantries,
be they of British or Pesharawi nature.  As you can see,
 I am flanked on one side by a rifle, and on the other by a rug.
It is time for you to make your move, cast your die,
pick your card.  After which myself, Johnny Goorka
and Scot the Scot will do the same in response.
Either way, Ibrahim, one thing is certain...
You will leave here draped in red."

(*"Tea Soldier" in Peshawar Pashto parlance)

And so a Webley Mk I 1887 Revolver, a Martini-Henry and a new-fangled magazine-fed Lee-Metford Rifle made their influence known without a trigger being pulled, and following some further conversation, Ibrahim Dast made his way back to his shop in the Qissa Khawani Bazaar with his life intact and enriched by one beautifully plush Turcoman-made Persian Rug...

Shortly thereafter, Capt. Crane calls on
Major General Whitsend...

CAPT. CRANE: "Sorry to interrupt, General, but I have some news."

M.GNL. WHITSEND: "Come in, Alex.  This is Captain Elliot Hardigan,
Commander of the Royal Horse Artillery Battery that just arrived from Simla.
Captain Hardigan, this is Captain Crane, my Political Officer --
everyone calls him Teetotaler, for reasons you can see."

CAPT. CRANE: "Pleased to meet you, Hardigan."

CAPT. HARDIGAN: "Same here, Tito."

CAPT. CRANE: "General, I'm afraid we may need
Hardigan's galloping guns sooner than later..."

CAPT.  CRANE (Cont'd): "I have just learned that as we speak,
somewhere out there a pair of rabble-rousers going by the
nom de guerres 'Mule-Head' and 'Horse-Tail' are crisscrossing
the Frontier on a mission to forge an alliance between
the Afridis and Waziris for purposes of violent rebellion."

M.GNL. WHITSEND: "Are you deftly certain of all this, Teetotaler?"

CAPT. CRANE: "Beyond any shadow of a doubt.  As anyone in the
Political Service will tell you: the 'Rifle or the Rug' ploy never fails."

NOTE: All decision-points were resolved in accordance with
"Chapt. XI. SUPPLEMENTARY IDEAS AND OPTIONAL RULES"
as set forth in The 20th Anniversary Edition (1979-1999)
of Larry V. Brom's Wargaming Classic
THE SWORD AND THE FLAME
Specifically, Section E: "Torturing Prisoners"...

Ibrahim Dast could just as well have fled the coop
as the 127th Beluchis approached,
or barricaded himself inside his shop
and fought to the death, but the
DIE ROLL chose otherwise.

The same applies to his questioning:
he could have said nothing or
tried to lie -- but again, the DIE ROLL
said he "answers question."

Less dramatic perhaps, but on occasion
such is fate!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 05:17:26 AM by Mad Guru »

Offline CPT Shanks

• Scientist
« Reply #220 on: August 23, 2021, 03:23:27 AM »
Ruff-Husband Sahib, blessings be upon you.
Regretfully I must decline your invitation to join you in Dargai. Alas, my sister is still so angry with me for marrying her to a man with so few mules and only one goat, that her whelps would certainly bury their churas deep in my back as soon as they set eyes upon me.  The loss of their village, as you have already stated, will only raise their anger against me, please do hold them until their ire has slackened and I may once again walk freely west of the Indus.
Also I and my tribal elders are observing as the Abbottabad garrison is retreating from my beloved TorGhar. I assure you not a hair on Channers Sahib's head will be shorn as long as your ferenghee brothers continue to withdraw to their cantonment in Abbottabad.  As a sign of good faith I have released Cunningame Sahib on a sturdy mule to deliver a message to McQueen Sahib in Abbottabad.  I do not wish to further fight the Anglez nor do I want them descending upon my home like locust on the fields. I only ask that they all peace the beautiful flower of TorGhar.

Your humble host
Sardar Gul Akbar

Online giorgio

• Scientist
« Reply #221 on: August 23, 2021, 09:52:12 AM »
In the last Muletail’s episode Saddam, his standard bearer, commenting the fight with Orazkais refer to EDNA and SCRUB.
Some viewers asked me for more explaining, hereafter in few words brief explanation (the concepts has been worked out into more sophisticated alghoritms):

•   EDNA (Ever Decreasing Number Allocation) was created by Graham Hockley, and demonstrated at COW1990. Essentially, EDNA is a numerical value which represents an individual or unit's current willingness to do something (e.g. move forward under fire, but also, as in our episode, grabbing the jezails to propagate alarm). When you want to check  if they will do as requested, an EDNA test takes place, you check if the value is under your EDNA value, if minus ok otherwise the level is decreased by the difference and so on up to EDNA reaches zero. E.g.
A unit with a starting EDNA of 8 wishes to do something. It throws 2D6 and scores 5. The total dice score is less than the current EDNA, so the unit does as requested.The unit wishes to move forward again. It throws 2D6 and scores 10. The total dice score is more than the current EDNA, so the unit's EDNA is reduced by the difference to 6. (10 - 8 = 2; 8 - 2 = 6)The unit wishes to try again. It throws 2D6 and scores 7. The total dice score is more than the current EDNA, so the unit's EDNA is reduced by the difference to 5. (7 - 6 = 1; 6 - 1 = 5) and so on up to EDNA reaches 0 or, as in our episode, all Orazkais are despatched. 

•   SCRUD (Simple Combat Resolution Using Dice) was devised by Tim Price, and was first outlined in THE NUGGET N80 in 1991. Tim Price described SCRUD as follows:

These rules are intended to be used as a simple method of resolving the combats that take place within the larger framework of a game. They are meant for those battles that take place in the boarding actions of Naval Games, the Open Battles that are encountered when playing Matrix Games, and the confrontations that appear during back-to-back Map Games. In short, those small, but vital, elements that are part of the whole that makes up a wargame, that have to be resolved quickly or the Game itself grinds to a halt.

The mechanism works as follows:
Roll 1D6 for each unit (both friendly and enemy) taking part in the combatThe resulting dice for each side are lined up opposite each other, highest first. (If one side has more dice than the other, any dice that are extra, and score less than the lowest dice of the side with the fewer dice, are ignored)Compare the paired off diceThe higher dice beats the lower dice (Equal scores are ignored)Each dice defeated represents a push-back in large combats, or a death in smaller combats. Three such defeats eliminate one of the opponent's unitsAn example of SCRUD in operation
Two opposing forces (Red with three units and Blue with five units) come into combat.
Red throws three D6s and scores 6, 5, 2; Blue throws five D6s and scores 5, 4, 3, 2, 2. The dice are lined up, highest first and paired off. Red's 6 is paired up against Blue's 5; therefore, Red wins Red's 5 is paired up against Blue's 4; therefore, Red wins. Red's 2 is paired up against Blue's 3; therefore, Blue wins.Although Red is the weaker of the two opposing forces, it has inflicted twice as many casualties on Blue than Blue has inflicted on Red.

This is a very simple and fast combat resolution mechanism to use, very useful in little fights which are not core to our stories involving larger fights but can be valuable input for them.

Offline CPT Shanks

• Scientist
« Reply #222 on: August 23, 2021, 08:00:44 PM »
Despatches Abbottabad 3 August 1890
To: Brigadier Ruff-Husband

One of our politicals thought to be dead, Usmani Raja, stumbled into a forward post half starved and ravaged by thirst, claiming he alone had escaped a trap set by Gul Akbar that had netted BG Channers et al. He followed them for a few nights until they crossed the Indus and then he move by night to the south until he found our outpost. The man was nearly shot looking like a heathen with stained skin and blue turban. But in his fevered report he claims there is a lashkar assembling under the banner of Gul Akbar. He claimed they crossed the Indus and have been gathering clans in Baio, some talk of his sister's honor, if there is such a thing, or some sort. Sound like nonsense to my intelligence men, perhaps you can make something of it.
Anyway seemed to be pushing a bit too close to your operational area for me not to inform you.

Sincerely
Brigadier MacQueen

Online giorgio

• Scientist
« Reply #223 on: August 24, 2021, 11:01:44 AM »
August 2nd,Mir Alì a village south of Spinwam, Col Fullerton speaking to Major Hugo William Stockfish .

“Well Willie you see? The evidences of our previous visit are still valid. This morning  I asked in the jirga to collect all rifles stolen in the ambush made to poor Attenborough. But I have a nice surprise for them . They have time up to this evening to give back everything and of couse these liars won’t.
We will split our force, you with your Poona will bypass that towers going for this deviation and fording somewhere there and going north of Spinwam;  at evening we’ll hit simultaneously from opposite directions, so we’ll fire the buildings in half time and tomorrow we’ll celebrate our campaign with a cool beer in Bannu”

“But splitting the forces, you know your guides have reported voices of bandits rallying…”
“Stop it Willie, we will not be scared by 5 bandits ready to run away at the first shot, like last time. It is awfully quiet here and you are a master in forecasting problems when there are not at all.”
“But Sir tribesmen shouldn’t be underestimated...”
 “Stop it Major. General said to destroy villages around Spinwam and we’ll do it in the shortest time.
Are you ok Willie?”
“Yes sir, sure yes.... Risaldar Maruti Jadhav order the Poona Squadron to advance in direction towards North East”
“Sir yes Sir! Squadroooon march direction Nooorth EasTTT!”

In the meantime, few miles Northwards, Omar is reviewing his volunteers parading in front of him ready for marching south of Spimwam…

« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 01:23:12 PM by giorgio »

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
« Reply #224 on: August 25, 2021, 09:32:47 AM »
On the heights above Chakdara, Tribal Watchmen keep their eyes peeled not for caravans to rob or enemies to ambush, but for the DAK (postal delivery).  Their master awaits the new edition of the Peshawar Tribune...

The faithful deliverer is spotted...

With rolled-up English language periodical in hand...

He shortly arrives at the Garden of Martyrs Cemetery, to be greeted by watchful Ghazi bodyguards, and the Mad Guru himself, who calls out in Pashto, which we translate here for your benefit:

MAD GURU: Dak, dismount and read to me what my blind eyes cannot -- starting of course with the latest column by that veritable Tennyson of the Frontier, Reginald Winkie...

DAK: At once, my Guru -- but all due respect, in my humble opinion, this Winkie fellow you speak of is no Rahman Baba.*

(*Legendary c.17th Pashtun Poet, also hailing from Peshawar)

MAD GURU: Keep your opinions to yourself and get to reading -- and translating!

DAK: Hmmmm.  It seems there is a very large headline whose story takes up the entire front-page.

MAD GURU: So what are you waiting for?  I'm not getting any younger -- only madder!

DAK: Forgive me, oh great Guru, and Kindly attend the words of that most magnificent and distinguished writer, Mister Reginald Winkie as I quote them to you word for word...

MAD GURU: That's more like it.  Proceed...

DAK: "Forces of the Queen Battle Tribal Rebels!  Word has reached Peshawar of a recent clash between Fully's Flying Devils** and Omar Khan's Lashkar.***  This bloody conflagration is reported to have taken place somewhere between Mir Ali and Spinwam..."

(**Colonel Fullerton's Flying Column)

(***Omar Sharifo's Afridi War Party, augmented
by a small number of Orakzai Tribesmen)

DAK: Winkie goes on, "And now dear readers, I must respectfully advise you to sit down before proceeding to read the next paragraph, as its contents are of such shocking nature, they may result in apoplexy or a conniption fit..."

MAD GURU: Come on, Reg, I'm already sitting -- well, squatting.  Get on with it, Dak -- don't leave me hanging, flapping like a martyr's flag in the wind!

TO BE CONTINUED...
« Last Edit: August 26, 2021, 03:29:30 AM by Mad Guru »