Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:39:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686453
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Sludge - Post-napocalyptic kitbashing - Officer painted 15/1  (Read 33107 times)

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
They look great!
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
And here we are, the first leg of this project is done. I started out with a 350 pt army list in mind, and that list is now built and painted. I have to admit I have already bought some more plastic kits to expand my options, but quite happy to have finished the first stage at least.

Hopefully I will be able to try the game soon enough as at least one of my gaming buddies is prepared to use his regular Napoleonics for the game and maybe do some Sludge-specific additions.

Let us start with a group shot of all the latest additions:

Sorceress:

The Knights of St Dahomey

A second unit of Hussars:

Here is what the full list looks like:

First attempt at some Gore tokens, there represent 1, 4 o 8 Gore, and I hope are easy enough to read on the table:

What do you think?

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Re: Sludge - The Grand Sultanate of Malakal - Big army update 5/7
« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2021, 11:43:38 AM »
Brilliant in concept and execution mate, I really love what you have created here.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2021, 12:09:37 PM »
Really  great looking and original army. Great work.

Is it 7 units to make the force?

Gore tokens - less sure about the 8s the 1s and 4s work fine. Is this the numbers the rules suggest to use? As its a slightly odd progression with large steps, and you might find it useful to have some 2s as well, or more 1s.

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2021, 12:16:04 PM »
Thank you both!

Fred - 7 units and three independent characters is what I ended up with yes. The only real limit to what you can field beside point cost is that you need a unit of line infantry (minimum three bases ina Line infantry unit) for every Elite unit you bring. Foot knights and Heavy Knights are elite choices in my list, and there's also Shock Troopers (grenadiers) which I haven't built yet. Jägers, Light Cavalry and Heavy Cavalry are not elite choices.

For the Gore tokens, 1s 4s and 8s are indeed what the rules say to use. Their physical presence on the board actually matters in the Nerve phase of the game. Not always a fan of psychology in games, but in Sludge I think it fits well.

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2021, 12:40:33 PM »
This is fantastic - really motivating!

Offline KD47

• Librarian
  • What is best in life?
« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2021, 01:54:03 PM »
You should consider painting minis for extra money.   You clearly have the ability to bust out good work quickly, and that's the key for that type 'o thing.
For former content of mine, search my former user ID kalebdaark:

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=4831

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2021, 02:08:31 PM »
You should consider painting minis for extra money.   You clearly have the ability to bust out good work quickly, and that's the key for that type 'o thing.

Ach, no! I can only really paint like this when I am super into a project. Some of my started projects end up taking much longer for no particular reason. I did a bit of comission painting ten years ago when I was in college, but it was always a slog. These days I value my time far more than I do any extra money.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2021, 05:58:20 PM »
Not to derail this excellent thread but it works well for 10mm - 20mm squares with 4 infantry as a ‘base’. I’m working on one very infantry bases force at mo using Franco-Prussian prussians from Pendraken. Have a peak at my Instagram and you should find a WIP post.

These are cool - they have the sludge vibe, but are very different - worth their own LAF thread!

Does anyone know when the rules will be available?

I can see that having the gore tokens on the table could be useful, the 15XX rules do something similar with leaving casualty tokens in place, which then have in game impact.

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2021, 07:15:18 PM »
Unfortunately they've been saying "soon" with the rules since May. I gather the delay is with a printing service and not with the authors and editors of Blaster or the game itself, which is probably why we don't have a definite ETA.

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2021, 02:49:32 AM »
These are cool - they have the sludge vibe, but are very different - worth their own LAF thread!

I agree, excellent looking army that fits the theme in a unique way.
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2021, 09:18:03 AM »
Rules are available at last! Blaste vol 3 released today. Link here.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2021, 03:54:20 PM »
Cool, thanks for letting us know.

I have purchased a copy, and am plotting armies, wondering if I add units to my existing 10mm forces (which are mainly on 40mm square bases, so give good cavalry and line infantry options) or do something specific for Sludge. The former has the advantage of speed to table but I feel the forces could be a bit bright, the later will mean the forces are more sludge like, but will take more effort.

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #58 on: August 01, 2021, 08:33:55 PM »
I have a hunch that I might want some melee line infantry, so I grabbed a couple of new plastic kits, the Perry French Elite Companies and European Mercenaries and set about building. I have a lot of spare figures now, probably enough to make a second force for demoing the game.

So, 18 line infantry with banner and musician. Temporarily based on individual bases for painting, they will end up on 50mm round later. French bodies with arms and heads from the 15th century mercenaries. I wanted these to wear helmets, but painting should tie them in well enough.

What do you think?

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Re: Sludge - The Grand Sultanate of Malakal - Building some pikemen 1/8
« Reply #59 on: August 02, 2021, 03:48:07 AM »
Brilliant kitbashing yet again mate. Very imaginative mix that works well aesthetically in my opinion.