Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:19:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689670
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Sludge - Post-napocalyptic kitbashing - Officer painted 15/1  (Read 33597 times)

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
Re: Sludge - Post-napocalyptic kitbashing - Malakal royal magician 16/10
« Reply #165 on: June 02, 2022, 08:49:20 AM »
Another little update, a few more random medieval minis painted for Staaren. First is the lovely Welsh commander from Footsore's recent kickstarter, giving me another option for the Knights of the Realm, or a potential Officer. Should maybe have a shield, but I am not sure I want to cover the nice detailing.

And second some of Claymore Castings' recent cavalry releases. I intend these to be mounted bodyguards, and giving us the option of a army banner for a mounted commander.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2022, 04:00:38 PM by Ogrob »

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Great work! 👍
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
This looks really great!
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
Been quite a while for this thread indeed, as I am focusing on other projects for now.

However, once I got the latest Frostgrave releases in hand I felt that this Enchanter had to join the Malakal army as a Royal Magician.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Looks good  8)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline mepmakes

• Assistant
  • MEP Miniatures
    • mepminiatures.com
Fantastic stuff, all of it!
Shop: mepminiatures.com
Sculpting/Making blog: instagram.com/mepmakes

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
Re: Sludge - Post-napocalyptic kitbashing - Royal magician 16/10
« Reply #171 on: October 30, 2022, 12:19:44 PM »
Gearing up for some more Sludge gaming this winter, and started to fill in some gaps in the collection.

For my Staaren Free People I have been able to source a nice Sacred Icon, which is currently being painted. That means I have sorted out all their new things from Sludge Nations, but I am also planning to round out the collection with a mounted Commander, a Sorcerer and a unit of Heavy Cavalry with pistols. More to come on these later.

For Malakal, my Royalists, I am having a little bit of a harder time sourcing the last few things. I need to find a nice Battle Kite, a medium sized flyer. Ideally i want a small victorian sci fi looking airship, but no luck yet. Also need to get a couple of Mortars and crew, but again not entirely sure on which models I want. Any suggestions?

Also rounding out the Malakal collection with some missing core rule options. I have built three Arcanists from Frostgrave wizards, and I have a set of Perry French Dragoons lined up to build Heavy cavalry. The dragoons also come with nice dismounted minis, so I bashed these up with some Ansar and Afghan bits to create some Shock Troopers:

More things to come here as I get on with painting.

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
Re: Sludge - Post-napocalyptic kitbashing - Bashing some Shock troops 30/10
« Reply #172 on: October 30, 2022, 12:50:50 PM »
Ooh these are creative.

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
Been quite a while for this thread indeed, as I am focusing on other projects for now.

However, once I got the latest Frostgrave releases in hand I felt that this Enchanter had to join the Malakal army as a Royal Magician.

Love that model! Paint job isn't bad either!

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Re: Sludge - Post-napocalyptic kitbashing - Royal magician 16/10
« Reply #174 on: October 31, 2022, 02:48:42 AM »
For Malakal, my Royalists, I am having a little bit of a harder time sourcing the last few things. I need to find a nice Battle Kite, a medium sized flyer. Ideally i want a small victorian sci fi looking airship, but no luck yet.

These are some companies that make MDF Flying ships. I hope at least one might strike just right.

https://blotz.co.uk/product-category/wargames-terrain/28mm-terrain/victorian-sci-fi-28mm/

https://crossoverminiatures.com/product-category/airships/

https://www.thingsfromthebasement.com/store/c48/Victorian_Science_Fiction.html

https://tregames.com/collections/28mm-airships

https://arcanesceneryandmodels.co.uk/shop/ww1-airship-german-zeppelin-28mm-mdf-sarissa-precision-n422/

And if you're feeling brave check out ETSY and type in SKY or Air Ship plus D&D.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2022, 02:51:49 AM by commissarmoody »
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #175 on: October 31, 2022, 01:46:04 PM »
Thank you, super helpful! I ended up searching Etsy and stumbled on someone selling a Wizkids DND skycoach painted, which led me to my local Wizkids dealer and the unpainted version. Ordered, so let's see how it turns out when it arrives.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #176 on: October 31, 2022, 04:04:59 PM »
Nice choice. Hope it meets your needs. I didn't even know that it came unpainted. So now I need to hit up wizkids.  ;D

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #177 on: November 01, 2022, 06:54:03 PM »
On a verdant sliver of realm the forces of Malakal and Staaren stumble on each other, as well as an ancient forest heart, spewing lifestuff into the soil. A valuable resource to those who can secure it.

Played a game today against Andreas, a regular opponent, and was able to document quite a bit. Thought I'd jot down a quick report.

The Grand Sultanate of Malakal – Royalists, 350 pts
Commander – Mount, Bodyguard, Battle Standard
Royal Magician
Royal Marines x 5, Rifles, Veterans, Regimental Standard
Line Infantry x 6, Pole weapons, Regimental Standard, Musician
Royal Hussars x 6, Death’s head
Royal Hussars x 6, Death’s head
Foot knights x 6
Jägers x 6

The Duchy of Staaren – Free People, 350 pts
Knights of the Realm – The First among equals
Chaplain
Line Infantry x 5, Crossbow volley and bayonets, Regimental Standard, Musician
Longbowmen x 5, Regimental Standard, Musician
Foot Knight x 4, Muskets
Jägers x 6
Men-at-arms x 8, Line Breakers
Shock Troops x 6, Grenades

I play Malakal, in orange uniforms, and Andreas, my opponent, plays Staaren in their green drab.

I set up the terrain while my opponent was on his way. In the middle we have the forest heart itself, which serves as the marker for the sacred ground scenario, The rock and heart was also deemed impassable and LOS blocking. The rest of the base was rough ground. Besides that we had three hills, two forests, a great root and a pair of mushroom barriers. I think this was a good amount of terrain and it definitely had an impact of the game.

For deployment my opponent won the roll and picked the side that is going to be to the right in most pictures. I will try to call this the right table edge and refer to top and bottom flanks, as it fits the images.  He deployed a the Jägers at the top, just inside the forest, then his longbowmen in line, with Men at Arms in column taking the centre, with foot knights and knights of the realm ready behind. Toward the bottom flank there were crossbows, a chaplain and finally shock troopers behind the hill.

On my side I deployed a unit of Royal Hussars at the top, behind the big hill, followed by Royal Marines, Commander and Royal Magician. Line infantry with pole weapons (I will likely refer to these as pikemen from now on) just below the centre, with foot knights behind, the second royal hussars below and finally jägers on the hill.

Turn 1 saw mostly cautious advances with many units staying out of threat range. Once my opponent had moved up his men at arms I decided to be a little bit aggressive and moved my Royal Marines in front of their barricade to take a shot. A very good roll saw five men at arms fall dead. The longbowmen attempted to retaliate but Andreas unfortunately rolled a 1 on his combat test. Once most of the ranged units had activated I moved up my hussars into more forward positions. The Staaren chaplain does what she is going to do for the rest of the game: cast Faithfull Intercessor and position herself to cover the whole army. Chaplain and Knights of the Realm is a solid combo.

Turn 2 started with a Hussar charge into the longbowmen on the top side and some pretty decent rolls saw a base removed and another almost destroyed. Andreas then activated his shock troopers who climbed the hill and were able to charge down into the forward hussars. Another 1 on a combat test and he had to back off! The bottom hussars return the charge into the shock troops with a focus order, and I believe I rolled a crit here, wiping them out.
The crossbowmen received the warcry order and obliterated the bottom hussars with another critical hit. Staarens foot knights were then able to charge the hussars locking up the longbowmen and taking them out as well. The Longbows were able to shot and hit the Royal Marines this time, but not too much damage. Finally, the men at arms who had moved up to block took another two casualties to Royal Marine rifles and the Staaren Jägers moved up to the barricade on the top flank.
In the nerve phase my pikemen failed a roll, landing on two stress, and the final man at arms for Staaren ran off the field. I believe the longbows and foot knights also picked up a stress each.

Turn 3 and things start to get bloody. I win initiative for the third time. I believe the Royal Marines shot out a couple of bases worth of Longbowmen, but were then badly battered by a critical hit from Jägers with Warcry on them (impressive getting 18 dice out of 6 jägers). My foot knights, almost forgotten until now, had shuffled toward the top flank, but changed their mind and started shuffling down the bottom side of the forest heart.
On the bottom flank the crossbowmen scoot back and shoot at the pikemen, killing one base, but a critical success on the nerve test allows me to remove all their stress. They then activate and focus regrowth with the great root. The magician scoots them just outside 5” of the massive gore pile by the bottom hill, and within 9” of the crossbows.

Turn 4. Andreas wins initiative for the first time since deployment, and his Jägers finish murdering my Royal marines and his crossbows kill four Jägers. The Malakal Foot Knights get Go at them from the commander and are able to focus charge the crossbowmen. I think another crit, and after endurance saves I did exactly the 12 wounds needed to wipe them out. Staarens foot knights get warcry as well, and kill two or three of the Malakal foot knights with a round of musket fire. The Knights of the Realm shuffle around a little bit closer to the objective, but we are starting to notice that I have a massive lead in wounds on the table.

Turn 5 is a brief affair, the only highlight being my foot knights charging, hitting and failing to wound the knights of the realm. 4D6, hitting on 4+ and I roll four 3’s.

In the end, the pikement secure a solid victory for Malakal by hogging the spot between the objective and the great root. Final points 66 to Malakal and 34 to Staaren.

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
Re: Sludge - Post-napocalyptic kitbashing - AAR 1/11
« Reply #178 on: November 01, 2022, 09:54:16 PM »
Having witnessed the usefulness and resourcefulness of enemy arcanists in battle, the Sultan decided to risk the ire of Malakal's priestesses and sorceresses and opened a Royal Collage of the Arcanum.

So, been a productive few days and I have a hobby update beside the battle report. I build a few quick things for Malakal to round out the core book options. First, three arcanists made from Frostgrave Wizards with some afghan muskets and perry sabre sheaths.

And then the six shock troops shown earlier got painted:

What do you think?

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
Re: Sludge - Post-napocalyptic kitbashing - AAR and Malakal reinforcements 1/11
« Reply #179 on: November 01, 2022, 10:01:16 PM »
Good battle report - how much effect do the gore piles have on the game?

I really must get round to a game of Sludge.

Like the new additions too