Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:13:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686445
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: What are some good versatile rules to use with the Marvel Crisi Protocol mini's  (Read 2489 times)

Offline The Voivod

• Mad Scientist
I've grown up with Marvel (and some DC) and have always been a huge fan. I love the movies, even if they're not always cinematic masterpieces.
When Crisis Protocol came out I was so happy. The mini's are great and Atomic Mass seem to be pushing the envelop in what they can do with the sculpts making me look forward to basicly every paintjob.

But, while I like the game, it seems to be lacking some meat. No matter what the texts on the cards says, it feels like the biggest difference between characters is how many dice they roll and at what range. I don't mind casual games and I don't get to play as often as I'd like anyway, but I was wondering if there's something out there that would be more to my fancy using these models.
I've never looked into superhero-rules, since I've always felled if I'd play any, I'd play with marvel characters.

Can anyone make a good suggestion? My preferences:
- Some cool mechanics, skirmish and some depth in gameplay/tactics
-Narrative scenarios ( or at least possibilty for me to create some)
- Flexible character/roster creation. I want to be able to field characters that feel like what they're like in the comics, wether that's Punisher, Nightcrawler, Hulk or Magik. Since there's a huge roster I don't really feel like fielding "counts as". I'd rather build characters from scratch with some more or less balanced rule-set.

Does anyone know any rules that kinda sound like that? I'm toying around with making some myself, but first I want to know what's out there and if that could scratch this itch I have.

'Mercy? I am far to brave to grant you mercy.'

Offline vashbcn

• Lurker
Hello

Firstly excuse my poor english, sorry

I prefer the old marvel universe miniature game by knight models. Nowadays discontinued but you can find pdf rules or the newest dc universe rules.

Knight models owns Dc universe miniature game. You can find the pdf rulebook in the website and there are the same rules for marvel and Dc. Or buy the physical book.

there is a group on facebook called custom mumg and dcumg Character cards where you can find the cards for hundreds of characters.

Best regards

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry

Can anyone make a good suggestion? My preferences:
- Some cool mechanics, skirmish and some depth in gameplay/tactics
-Narrative scenarios ( or at least possibilty for me to create some)
- Flexible character/roster creation. I want to be able to field characters that feel like what they're like in the comics, wether that's Punisher, Nightcrawler, Hulk or Magik. Since there's a huge roster I don't really feel like fielding "counts as". I'd rather build characters from scratch with some more or less balanced rule-set.

Does anyone know any rules that kinda sound like that? I'm toying around with making some myself, but first I want to know what's out there and if that could scratch this itch I have.

I'd suggest A Fistful of Kung Fu from Osprey. It's not explicitly a superhero game, but it's designed for cinematic, over-the-top combat with demonic powers, magic, martial arts and larger-than-life abilities. You can build characters however you want, and it's very quick to do so. I think you'd have no trouble statting up the X-men or whatever in a matter of minutes.

If you've played Song of Blades and Heroes or Mutants and Death Ray Guns, you'll have an idea of the basic game. But I think it's probably the very best iteration of that excellent engine. It's quite different from Song of Blades in many respects and a great deal more cinematic and heroic. There's loads of scope for interaction with scenery and wild stunts. And it's got your regeneration, psychic attacks, eye-blasts, acrobatics and telekinesis covered - plus a whole lot more.

Offline wellender

• Mad Scientist
Take a look at Super Mission Force. If you want some solo play look at Slugfest.

Offline The Voivod

• Mad Scientist
hanks all.
That should give me some research material to see what suits me.
Should be something there.

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
Take a look at Super Mission Force. If you want some solo play look at Slugfest.

I was going to suggest Slugfest, its basically a superhero version of Rangers of Shadowdeep. Great fun.

Or Super System? that has very in depth hero creation

Offline wellender

• Mad Scientist
I mean really just go look at all of Scott Pyle's super hero games. Your bound to find something that fits what you want.

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
    • http://www.four-colorstudios.com/
I mean really just go look at all of Scott Pyle's super hero games. Your bound to find something that fits what you want.

Thank you!
Scott P.
http://scott-pyle.tumblr.com/
http://www.four-colorstudios.com/

======
"The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places."

--Ernest Hemingway

Offline Chief Lackey Rich

• Mastermind

Seconded.

Offline The Voivod

• Mad Scientist
Well, thanks for the suggestion.
I got a PDF for super mission force from Lulu and gonna give it a good read as the coming days.
Hopefulle I can get in a test in a few weeks. Seems to be getting some high praise here, so I've got my hopes up.

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
    • http://www.four-colorstudios.com/
Well, thanks for the suggestion.
I got a PDF for super mission force from Lulu and gonna give it a good read as the coming days.
Hopefulle I can get in a test in a few weeks. Seems to be getting some high praise here, so I've got my hopes up.

Here's a link to some free SMF Solo rules:

https://app.box.com/s/8dmr2bw0q7azc0x9m5knz28vdn3lbc50

While a more polished version exists for sale in Athwart Time, the SMF supplement I released last year, this should get you stuck in if you want to play solo games.

Thanks for trying the game out!

Offline The Voivod

• Mad Scientist
Thanks,
I'm not much of a solo gamer yet, but I'm thinking about dabbling in it.
It's also a good way to have some fun getting to know the rules. I'll look into it.

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
Here was my take on Fistful of Kung Fu..... I hope that helps. 

https://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/search?q=fistful+of+kung+fu

I also played Super System 4th edition, and that maybe of some interest to you.

https://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/2016/12/review-super-systems-4th-edition-4.html

I played a couple games with the rules that you can find on the blog if you want to see more too.
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline Giger

• Mad Scientist
    • Crucium Giger's Blog
Supers is the rule set I'll be using for my games, it's in beta at the moment and free to download from:

https://www.starbreach.com/supers

Offline AdmiralAndy

• Scientist
I've been looking in to this as well.

For myself, I've narrowed it down to Super Mission Force or Supers.

The reason for me is both have rules for minions in a little group with the main heroes. So you can look at also gaming Captain America the storming the hydra bases, and with vehicle rules look at the Tanks that feature and the motorcycles, also looking at the fight at the start of Age of Ultra against the Hydra force. Then switch to playing out the usual 4ish heros a side such as Captain America Civil War.

Supers is edging it at the moment subject to some gaming as it also has each character/team has a motivation, for example (there are 8 in total), Save the world (Avengers), Protect the innocet from harm (Spiderman), Lust for power (Red Skull), Let the world burn (Ultron). The motivation actually gives a bonus for some of the stats and gameplay, which would seem to feed in a narrative. I've seen no other Super Hero game where motivation actually makes a difference beyond mission objectives and the ye olde good guys v bad guys.

Supers being in Beta means you have scope to get the super hero game YOU want with your feedback, and its a free download and if you fancy some Golden Age Super Hero action (WW2 super hero gaming), there's a WW2 Starbreach version you should be able to make us of.

Star Breach is also free so other than 5 minutes of your time, they cost nothing for the PDFs with the full game rules. Deluxe version has the Campaign and Tournament additinal rules which you can always buy if you like the base rules.

SMF ofc is an established developed game with a proven system and if you do a google search can often find that someone has already made stat cards up for your favourite heroes.