Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:34:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Suggestions for Colonial skirmish games?  (Read 5545 times)

Offline SPQR7070

• Assistant
Re: Suggestions for Colonial skirmish games?
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2021, 03:07:11 PM »
I have a second suggestion for a set of rules that I think every colonial wargamer should own, if for nothing more than inspiring game ideas: Science vs Pluck.

The rules themselves are a bit dated, employing the “wall o charts” format popular in the 80s, however it’s the ideas for building a narrative that are really cool. It’s almost more of a Dungeon Master’s Guide to colonial wargaming than anything else.

Essentially one player acts as the GM, with everyone else taking on the role of an individual officer in the colonial force. Instead of skipping straight to the final battle the game charts the players journey towards the final place of confrontation. Perhaps raiders abscond with some of the ammunition camels, or your column loses its way in a sandstorm, or the well you expected to water your troops at has run dry. The GM subjects the players to a gauntlet of events and decisions, which can play out on the table on in the theatre of the mind so by the time the final battle arrives the forces at their disposal are in a unique state, rather than perfect parade ground condition.

Then, as each player is represented by an individual officer(which can be killed!), they might have their own agenda that leads to interesting decisions as players opt to take risky actions in the name of glory, or divert troops to ensure their own personal survival.

It’s a wealth of inspiration on how to run a game that’ll be remembered by all. I highly recommend it for that, at least, although again the actual battle rules are not quite up to modern streamlined standards.

Offline Umra Khan

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2021, 03:21:23 PM »
Science vs Pluck is a must for any serious colonial  wargamer, there is a version also for the NWF.

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2021, 07:57:36 PM »
Thanks fellas for the suggestions. I have has the TSATF for may years and it is not what I am looking for. I am hoping to do some small scale platoon/section patrol games. I didn't post a specific question because I am planning to game the KNIL in Borneo, mostly against Dayaks. I am aware of The Sword and the Kris but again I think that this is for a larger scale conflict. My internet buddy Juergen Olk had recommended TMWWBK and I ordered it. Unfortunately, it foundered on the dangerous shoals and reefs of the Guam post office. So before I ordered again I thought that there might be other options. I am particularly interested in rules that can be down loaded so I don't wait for months in this desolate outpost waiting for resupply.
Lon
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2021, 08:05:41 PM »
Or maybe time for something completely different

How about Fist Full of Lead - Bigger Battles

No idea if it is suitible for you though?

Glen
Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.

Offline Umra Khan

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2021, 08:17:02 PM »
For really little skirmish there are available on line some simple rules based on QD Quality Dice.
Simple system to handle around a 10-20 figures in all.
The system is based on various capacities and abilities of each figure. You should toss for each of them during the game. Could you make a try.

Online fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2021, 09:12:44 PM »
TMWWBK should be available as PDF or Kindle as it is an Osprey book

FFoL is definitely available as PDF. FFoL is a great fun game, it is very flexible to cover different periods, but you will have to do some work to make it colonial, but given your chosen theatre, I expected you are likely to have to do that whichever set of rules you choose!

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2021, 09:56:01 PM »
Although largely forgotten by all but a select few and relegated to the dusty top shelf of gamers book collections there is a real gem to be found if you look hard enough.

Triumph & Tragedy

Most fun, playable and adaptable set of Colonial/Pulp rules published. Others mentioned here are all good games (especially Congo) but T&T is still the one to get.

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2021, 06:04:54 AM »
It is available as a download from Osprey.

You'll also get it, and a host of other of ospreys blue books and other stuff via Scribd (both official and ahem "scanned" documents!). Handy site, worth the monthly sub.

Offline giorgio

• Scientist
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2021, 06:39:23 AM »
Due to Brexit custom uncertainty and orders disappeared (as my friend Umra recently experienced ) I got a pdf copy. How I deal with new orders? Willie figures from tradition of London come ...from Sweden. Kind efficient service recommended. I prefer rule books but with pdf you order today and play ...today  :-*:-*

Online Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2021, 07:14:01 AM »
Although largely forgotten by all but a select few and relegated to the dusty top shelf of gamers book collections there is a real gem to be found if you look hard enough.

Triumph & Tragedy

Most fun, playable and adaptable set of Colonial/Pulp rules published. Others mentioned here are all good games (especially Congo) but T&T is still the one to get.

Just a reminder that the base rules don't really cover Colonial gaming specifically (though can be used for it), but there is a Colonial supplement.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline sjwalker51

• Scientist
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2021, 07:19:25 AM »
Bear in mind that TSATF is almost unknown outside the USA, where it enjoys almost mythic status amongst its fans.

Truth be told, it’s a product of its time (40 years old?) - clunky mechanisms and interminable melee dice rolling - but did a lot to popularise colonial gaming and, until recently, there were no better alternatives.

As previously mentioned, DITDC also works well for larger games. For larger ‘battles’ (outside the scope of the OP), ‘Battles for Empire 2’ offer a more traditional choice of rules.

Online Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2021, 09:45:54 AM »
I think 'almost unknown' is stretching it a bit, but yes, it does seem to be the predominant set among American colonial gamers, more so than elsewhere.

I own a copy of the (20th?) Anniversary boxed set that I bought from a fellow LAFer, many years ago. To my shame, I only got around to playing it for the first time around four years ago. I think it is a set that still very much holds up. My nephew/gaming buddy was particularly taken with it, and has been nagging for us to use it more often. I don't think you can go far wrong with it.

TSATF and TMWWBK are the two main sets vying for my affection when I get back to colonial gaming, though I have a Congo side project going on too. I wouldn't recommend that for the OP, not because I don't like it or anything, but just that it isn't any kind of catch-all skirmish game, it is very much its own thing and stands alone. But it might appeal.

Offline giorgio

• Scientist
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2021, 09:54:22 AM »
Bear in mind that TSATF is almost unknown outside the USA, where it enjoys almost mythic status amongst its fans.

Truth be told, it’s a product of its time (40 years old?) - clunky mechanisms and interminable melee dice rolling - but did a lot to popularise colonial gaming and, until recently, there were no better alternatives.

As previously mentioned, DITDC also works well for larger games. For larger ‘battles’ (outside the scope of the OP), ‘Battles for Empire 2’ offer a more traditional choice of rules.

I agree but take care, here on the Frontier a Holy Rule war is on going on and you may be disposed for such considerations, if you are taken by the wrong faction... of course the right is for TMWWBK... lol
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 09:56:30 AM by giorgio »

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2021, 10:00:30 AM »
Years ago we played some RPG-ish skirmish Sudan games as this one
https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=60357.msg724425#msg724425
using a simple adaptation of Argad rules.

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2021, 10:05:03 AM »
Still love TSATF and warming a bit to TMWWBK (think I just need to play this a bit more and get over the slightly bland presentation).
Science Vs Pluck was good fun for a couple of games but not something I'd probably dedicate a whole collection to if I'm honest. Very glad to have it in the bookcase though.

Depending on theatre and period there might be quite a few house-rule changes you'd want to make to either of the 'big two' mentioned in this thread. Skirmishes at this level are relatively simple in concept so perhaps fertile ground for attempting your own simple rules?

An infrequent Blog http://small-wars.com