Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 02:39:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689289
  • Total Topics: 118269
  • Online Today: 605
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Kitbash query for GW Stormcasts for a Dragon Rampant Warband  (Read 728 times)

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
Kitbash query for GW Stormcasts for a Dragon Rampant Warband
« on: August 04, 2021, 08:15:31 PM »
Ok, so I've been thinking for ages about doing a Dragon Rampant war band using GW Stormcast figures. I've picked up a few sprues on EBAY, bought some alternative heads from Puppets of war (can't bloody stand the actual GW heads!) and am busily working out what to build and how to create the war band.

So the query is this - I have a set of three of the knights riding weird Griffon-like things - Palladors the unit is called. They are cool models (I do even quite like the Griffon-like things.) However, I really wanted horses for them (kinda like a weird GW version of the Arthurian knights in the 1980s movie Excalibur) but the riders are so big I can't imagine there's anything out there that would be quite big enough. Can anyone think of any 32mm horse model that would actually be big enough for a Stormcast to ride and look vaguely suitable? I'd ideally need three for a reduced model unit...

Thanks in advance for any insight anyone can give, as my Google skills are failing me...

Offline Ceeteegee

• Librarian
Re: Kitbash query for GW Stormcasts for a Dragon Rampant Warband
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2021, 09:28:28 PM »
Excalibur! Don't want think of how many times I've watched the film since its release!
Back on topic. The largest horses I've seen are the Chaos knight variety. Some of these are clearly unsuitable as they're heavily mutated and others would require work to remove/ conceal the iconography. Now if you were making Mordred's men,  they'd work. I'd be tempted to use the  mounts provided as they are pretty damn nice.

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2021, 10:35:44 PM »
Excalibur! Don't want think of how many times I've watched the film since its release!
Back on topic. The largest horses I've seen are the Chaos knight variety. Some of these are clearly unsuitable as they're heavily mutated and others would require work to remove/ conceal the iconography. Now if you were making Mordred's men,  they'd work. I'd be tempted to use the  mounts provided as they are pretty damn nice.

It's brilliant film!

I did look at the Chaos steeds but you're right - they are too 'evil'.

However, I have found a company that does 3d printing and will resize to whatever you like. They've got some 'alternative Bretonnian' models and the horses look brilliant. The chap who prints the models under licence from the owners of the STL files reckons he can size them to be completely perfect for what I need if I send him pics of the riders with full measurements, so here's hoping!

Online Plisken

• Assistant
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2021, 04:52:57 AM »
The war steeds for Celtos are big and imposing and might work: http://www.brigademodels.co.uk/PDF/CeltosGaels.pdf if you do't get what you need with the 3D printing.