Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:24:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689646
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Tips for Converting, Pinning, and Gluing Heroclix Minis?  (Read 1496 times)

Offline Mako

• Mad Scientist
Tips for Converting, Pinning, and Gluing Heroclix Minis?
« on: August 08, 2021, 05:07:43 AM »
I've purchased a number of these for a project - SHADO troops and the old UFO program, and due to the limited number of poses of some figs I've found, I'm thinking about converting some of them.

X-Acto knives, and/or scalpels seem to be adequate for most surgery, since they should provide clean, thin cuts.

I'm curious to know what wire thickness people are using for pinning limbs, heads, and other parts together, and which glues, or epoxies work best for reassembling them.  Looking for something that will be durable for the latter.

I seem to recall epoxy being mentioned, but it is rather thick, usually.  Is there a liquid epoxy product on the market that will work well for this?

Superglue would be another option, since it is much thinner, but I'm concerned about it being too brittle, which might be a concern with minis that get handled frequently.

It seems to me a glue/epoxy that is very strong, but that can flex a little would be best.

Anyone have any esperience with this, and if so what do you use for both pinning and gluing?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2021, 05:09:59 AM by Mako »

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Tips for Converting, Pinning, and Gluing Heroclix Minis?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2021, 06:16:58 AM »
I've just cut, re-posed and glued them with Lepage Ultra Gel. Re-primed and then painted them. No issues so far and some have been done over12 years ago.

Good luck!
Hitman
😎
Victory is guaranteed to the last man standing, but always remember those whom you stepped on to get there!!

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2021, 07:19:44 AM »
I’ve done a fair few conversions on the WotC Star Wars bendies and used 0.8mm brass rod with a touch of superglue applied with a pin. The figures are light so frequent handling (as long as it’s not over the top) hasn’t been a problem.
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Mako

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2021, 09:47:40 AM »
Thank you for the replies and info.

I really appreciate it.

The Lepage glue sounds perfect, but looks like it may be a Canadian product, and am not sure if it is available in the USA, without importing it, which could prove costly, I suspect.  I'll have to check with the local craft stores to see.

Superglue may have to be the backup option.

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2021, 05:18:26 AM »
Lepage Ultra Gel is sold at USA Wal-Mart's. When I travel to the USA for conventions I raid Wal-Mart's on my way down and back for it because it is so cheap...a bit under $3/bottle. It sells for close to $10/bottle in Canada. Lately with covid19 and travel restrictions Home Hardware in Canada puts it on sale periodically for around $5/bottle. I usually go in and grab every bottle shelved.
Regards,
Hitman
😎

Offline Mako

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2021, 05:15:48 AM »
Thanks for the info.

I didn't see the Lepage brand, but did find a Loctite Ultra Gel so bought that at Walmart.

I hope it is/works the same, except for the name.

$4.00 a bottle here in Cali, but that's not too bad.

Offline Cusm

• Assistant
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2021, 03:06:16 PM »
Superglue - I typically use Gorilla Glue brand and both the gel and liquid, I also use accelerator when I need it to set quicker. You can also do the hot water, bend, set with cold water trick if you want to vary the pose slightly.