Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 06:08:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689225
  • Total Topics: 118264
  • Online Today: 500
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Lau is playing 'Guilders - A Life In Shadows'  (Read 4802 times)

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Lau is playing 'Guilders - A Life In Shadows'
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2021, 10:30:30 PM »
Thanks, Lau.  I like the concept of the game and will check out the links.   An excellent collection of minis for your guild members!

Who makes the "thief" with the candle, holding the keys behind his back?  I quite like him.

Thanks for the recommendation of the Douglas Hulick books, Mason.  I will be checking them out as well.  In turn, I will recommend P.G. Hodgell's God Stalk - but not so much the rest of the series. They are good books, but only God Stalk has an urban setting - and the city has a lot of character and the novel deals a fair amount with Thieves Guilds.   After the first book, our hero leaves the city (alas).

-Michael

Offline Lau

• Librarian
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2021, 07:06:17 PM »
If I ever get some Cadwallon miniatures, they would be great for this.
They definetly would!

Thanks, Lau.  I like the concept of the game and will check out the links.   An excellent collection of minis for your guild members!
Who makes the "thief" with the candle, holding the keys behind his back?  I quite like him.
Thanks for the recommendation of the Douglas Hulick books, Mason.  I will be checking them out as well.  In turn, I will recommend P.G. Hodgell's God Stalk - but not so much the rest of the series. They are good books, but only God Stalk has an urban setting - and the city has a lot of character and the novel deals a fair amount with Thieves Guilds.   After the first book, our hero leaves the city (alas).
-Michael
Thanks for the compliments! And yes, he is one of my all time favorite models. He is from the Dunkeldorf line (https://dunkeldorf.eu/). As far as i know he can only be bought here: https://kinggames.dk/shop/dunkeldorf-miniatures-343c1.html He is called Linus. The models are cheap (6 euro) and they are shipped from Denmark cheaply enough. I love their modern old school warhammer look! And I'll be sure to check out God Stalk!

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2021, 01:30:57 AM »
Thanks, and aha! - I should have him then as I have supported all the Dunkeldorf KS sets.  But, ahem, not yet painted any of them...

-Michael

Offline Lau

• Librarian
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2021, 08:45:01 PM »
Thanks, and aha! - I should have him then as I have supported all the Dunkeldorf KS sets.  But, ahem, not yet painted any of them...
Haha, that must be a nice surprise  :D you must dive into your lead-pile then!

I have painted up two more civilians! And they sure look like they can afford to be robbed by my thieves guild! They just have 'target' written all over them!

Offline Lau

• Librarian
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2021, 12:17:07 PM »
Version 0.4 is now live, containing the first draft of the campaign system. Have spend a lot of time helping Søren Bloodbeard brainstorming and making tables, so I have not painted a lot, but some more civilians is done soon! The first campaing playtest is this thursday, and I am really excited to helt test the balance! Check out the new addition: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1QgOD7G3eYUppV07vF_K5aypvIg9NyuQu?fbclid=IwAR0tQzuUquo-8o3ZnChrWC0skXjK0GrAgfpbl5fbs499q5_zw6Pw0BI4Iyc

Offline LiamFrostfang

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2021, 08:39:43 AM »
 8) way cool!!!!!

Offline Lau

• Librarian
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2021, 09:34:29 AM »
8) way cool!!!!!
Thanks! And i Agree  ;)

I finally finished some more civilians! Im almost at the minimum 16 that i need, and I have just started the last three!

Love the models, they dont look as rich as my previous two civilians, but they will be robbed all the same!

Offline Lau

• Librarian
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2021, 06:56:20 AM »
So! We playtestet a game, trying to see how the campaign system works, and it seems fine after a single game, but a lot of testning is needed :-)

Our guilds were both trying to rob a temple complex, guarded by some paladins! I'll do a short recap, and link to Sørens long write up of the battle and campaign below.

So we both send thieves and street urchins out to tob the general city, while our heavier armed thugs were making their way to the temple complex. The doors were locked and we both tried to pick the locks, so we could get in, without the templars being angry. I failed to get through the tough lock, but Sørens crew had brought lock picks, and were quickly inside, sneaking around, trying to get the loot.
Seeing my chances were diminishing, i took the less subtle road and smashed the door, angering the Paladins, who attacked anyone in sight. One attacked my guys, and one attacked Sørens thief, who were quickly cut down. My guys were better fighters, and i quickly killed the paladin and looted his corpse, got into the temple and plundered it. Meanwhile on the other side, Søren managed to rob the temple, but could not deal with the Paladin (also due to the fact that i had send an acrobat with a bola behind his lines, who had entangled his Boss). He planned to escape with the loot he already had, and it worked fine.
All the attention i was making with the fighting and door breaking attracted the attention of the city guard who came storming down on me, so I decided to run for it as well, but not before sending in a fast street urchin to pick pocket a priest for even more loot.

Great game! I won and got enough XP on three of my guilders for a level up! and coins enough to buy some equipment, and only some minor injuries.

Longer write up with more pictures: http://bloodbeard.blogspot.com/2021/09/guilders-pious-pickpockets-battlereport.html

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2021, 03:12:27 PM »
This is a really inspiring idea (I have shed loads of medieval/fantasy civilians that do not get out enough).

Your guild is looking really great. The game table looks good too, are the buildings in the game from TT Combat?

Offline Lau

• Librarian
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2021, 06:53:37 AM »
This is a really inspiring idea (I have shed loads of medieval/fantasy civilians that do not get out enough).

Your guild is looking really great. The game table looks good too, are the buildings in the game from TT Combat?

Thanks a lot! And yeah, its a perfect way to give your medieval townsfolk some playtime!

I do believe most of the buildings are TTcombat (nice and cheap MDF). My Opponent, Søren, have made a video about the buildings and his plan for the city if you are interested in seeing more, and getting a presentation of the buildings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14he2_w3n1g&t=2s

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2021, 08:58:30 AM »
Thanks for that Lau. I have a lot of TTCombat buildings, mostly from the Streets of Venice range, but I have a couple of the WW2 French range featured in the YouTube link to add in now. I've gone for a brighter colour scheme on mine:

Offline Lau

• Librarian
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2021, 06:15:52 AM »
Thanks for that Lau. I have a lot of TTCombat buildings, mostly from the Streets of Venice range, but I have a couple of the WW2 French range featured in the YouTube link to add in now. I've gone for a brighter colour scheme on mine:

Wow! That looks amazing! I really love the colours! That is a great venice feel! And yeah, the ww2 buildings look fine in an older setting, and the roof walk-space is just perfect for skirmish games! What game are you playing in your city?

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2021, 06:19:01 AM »
I use it in a variety of games. Renaissance duelling with En Garde, Steampunk using Wolsung, IHMN and my VSF adaptation of Sellswords and Spellslingers, as a fantasy city for Sellswords and we were just starting to use it as Watergrave for a Frostgrave campaign just before Covid (hopefully we will restart that some time soon).

Offline Juan

• Mad Scientist
    • Manche´s Walpurgisnacht
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2021, 07:50:20 AM »
Very interesting ruleset, great work. I´m now thinking about an "small" medieval city, an small project, of course...  ;) ;) ;)

Offline Lau

• Librarian
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2021, 12:27:39 PM »
Very interesting ruleset, great work. I´m now thinking about an "small" medieval city, an small project, of course...  ;) ;) ;)
Thank You! And uou should! Its a fun game, and I love playing in dense medival cities :-) Good luck with keeping it small  ;)

I use it in a variety of games. Renaissance duelling with En Garde, Steampunk using Wolsung, IHMN and my VSF adaptation of Sellswords and Spellslingers, as a fantasy city for Sellswords and we were just starting to use it as Watergrave for a Frostgrave campaign just before Covid (hopefully we will restart that some time soon).

Cool use for it! Its nice to have nice terrain that can be used for so many different games!

And I have painted up 3 more civilians! Again from the Dunkeldorff range! Love the models! lots of personality!